U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 03:36 PM

41,041 posts, read 32,742,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Noooo it's not that complicated. The Native American will be differentiated from the rest. Both of my sides have been here since the revolution or earlier and mine came out perfectly clear. The only thing you are likely to get that isn't helpful is a large junk of non-specific European. The only thing that will say United States is in the countries of ancestry which is just your dna relatives grandparents. Your Ancestry Conposition will not show any American unless you have Native American as in American Indian. Otherwise it will show whatever European dna you have or other such as SSA. Its pretty thorough in my opinion considering what a melting pot this country is and has been.
I agree - my husband's was pretty specific and his family has been in the US for generations. He's basically a Viking. I like that. Food for thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 05:07 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,158,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I'm waiting for my results as well at 123andMe but I'm not particularly impatient as I don't expect any surprises and I have work to do on my family tree to keep me busy in the meantime.

From what I've been reading, many people who have taken the test with AncestryDNA or 123andMe decide to download their raw data results and then upload them for further analysis to:

(1) GEDmatch: GEDmatch - Tools for DNA and genealogy research

I believe there are sorts of ancestry analysis you can do there. Unfortunately, GEDmatch is down right now. The uploading and analysis is free and if I remember correctly, they accept donations to keep the site going.

(2) FamilyTree DNA: Family Tree DNA - Genetic Genealogy Starts Here

Instead of paying $99 to have an autosomal DNA test done again there, you can pay $49 (regularly $69, special promotion to Dec 31) to upload your raw data from 123andMe or AncestryDNA.

https://www.familytreedna.com/landin...a-landing.aspx

Family Tree DNA - Products and pricing (scroll down to see the price of $49)
Gedmatch is not taking any new uploads until after 1Dec.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:25 AM

Still no Ancestry Composition from 23andme. Grrrr.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:44 PM

2,439 posts, read 3,269,047 times
Were spinning our wheels also. Have you looked up your maternal haplogroup and gone through all your traits in detail? It really helps to have other people linked that are sharing medical reports to make it interesting.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Were spinning our wheels also. Have you looked up your maternal haplogroup and gone through all your traits in detail? It really helps to have other people linked that are sharing medical reports to make it interesting.

Yes, I've gone through those. I've also taken every single survey.

Wow, on the Community site, people are really getting frustrated by the long waits.

https://www.23andme.com/you/community/thread/25026/

Old 11-13-2013, 08:23 PM

2,956 posts, read 4,516,632 times
I think it has been posted in one of the threads somewhere that 23andMe is preparing to update everybody's Ancestry Composition, so this could be why some new kits have fallen behind. They may be in a queue that skips over the current style of AC and launches with the new version. So I think it will be worth it to wait for the newer product. Unless you're on death row in Texas or in the last stages of some fatal disease.

Remember this technology didn't even exist a year or so ago and it is not an exact science by any means. Being adopted, I waited 49 years to find out the first thing about my ancestry, and it was the 23andMe original "ancestry painting" which had only three flavors: European, African, and Asian. What a surprise to find out I had all three! I thought I was just a white boy. Then when the "new" AC came out, with many different populations represented, I was really impressed even though I had no way to verify what it said. So I'm really curious to see what the new version will be like, although I'm sure I will still view it as "preliminary." I am tested with FTDNA and Ancestry also, and all three disagree wildly on my different European ethnicities.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I think it has been posted in one of the threads somewhere that 23andMe is preparing to update everybody's Ancestry Composition, so this could be why some new kits have fallen behind. They may be in a queue that skips over the current style of AC and launches with the new version. So I think it will be worth it to wait for the newer product. Unless you're on death row in Texas or in the last stages of some fatal disease.

Remember this technology didn't even exist a year or so ago and it is not an exact science by any means. Being adopted, I waited 49 years to find out the first thing about my ancestry, and it was the 23andMe original "ancestry painting" which had only three flavors: European, African, and Asian. What a surprise to find out I had all three! I thought I was just a white boy. Then when the "new" AC came out, with many different populations represented, I was really impressed even though I had no way to verify what it said. So I'm really curious to see what the new version will be like, although I'm sure I will still view it as "preliminary." I am tested with FTDNA and Ancestry also, and all three disagree wildly on my different European ethnicities.
That's fine - like I've said, it's not the wait that bothers me as much as their poor communication. If this new version is indeed why tests are delayed, why don't they clarify that in a banner on their home page, or emails to those who are waiting, or at LEAST change the wording so that it doesn't continue to say "just a few more days!" or "within two weeks" when it's clearly not going to come in within that time frame.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a product to be delivered when a company says it's going to be delivered. That's all.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:17 AM

3,701 posts, read 3,997,901 times
Overall, I have been pleased with 23andme. I received my results much more quickly than my Geno 2.0 and FTDNA results.

That said, I do not pay much attention to the ancestry composition results. I have received different results from all three of the aforementioned sites, as well as the various results from Gedmatch. You need to understand that the results are based on different algorithms employed by each company AND you need to understand that the companies are matching your results to different sample populations. Do a little research to find the sample populations that each company uses.

In terms of the health risks reported by 23andme, I have found mine to be dead-on accurate. My older brother is ill with 3 of my 5 highest health risks and my elderly father is ill with the remaining two.

OTOH, to my sister's relief, her results revealed that she only shares one of my top five risks. Although I "lost" the roll of the genetic dice, it's not as if my results were a surprise. If anything, my sister's results were surprising.

There are several additional sites that allow the downloading of your raw data for further clarification. One example for health data is Stanford's website at Interpretome .

Meanwhile, I am having fun sharing my (nonmedical) results with 23andme matches, as well as FTDNA matches, in hopes of breaking through a few brick walls.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:36 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,158,764 times
I am also pleased with my 23andMe experience. As odd as my results are I suspected that there was something off concerning my family’s lore.

I am afraid that the OP will get a lot of non-specific ancestry. I'd asked up thread how she identified but she did not respond. I do not believe this will be a pleasant experience for her. I believe that the test is not sensitive enough for certain people and their DNA.

There was a thread there just yesterday where a user's CoO could not be determined. And I still attribute the delay to the upcoming changes to AC. I remember the time when they updated and many users became very African, lol. What a debacle. I suspect they are trying to avoid that type of mistake again.

Last edited by CMichele; 11-14-2013 at 07:53 AM..

Old 11-14-2013, 08:09 AM

3,675 posts, read 2,487,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Meanwhile, I am having fun sharing my (nonmedical) results with 23andme matches, as well as FTDNA matches, in hopes of breaking through a few brick walls.
I have read several people saying that FTDNA is the place to go for Y-DNA testing but that they were disappointed as far as the autosomal DNA test was concerned because it resulted in very few relative matches.

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth $49 to upload my 23andMe data when I get it. I'm trying to break down some 200-year-old brick walls. Opinion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy