U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 09:50 AM

40,904 posts, read 32,658,014 times

Advertisements

My husband and I sent in our kits at exactly the same time. He's had his full results for over a month. I've had my health results back for three weeks, but my ancestry composition results are not posted yet. I understand that different tests can take more or less time, but what really frustrates me is that I cannot get any sort of response from 23andme's customer care department - not on their site or on their FB page.

Reading through the comments on the FB page, I see that many other customers are frustrated as well by the lack of response from the 23andme customer "care" department.

Their site and my page on that site say that they need a "few more days" or "up to two weeks" to gather the ancestry composition results, but that's been posted on my page for three weeks now. You know, I'm a reasonable person, but what frustrates me the MOST is that they simply are not responding to my question of why there is a delay. In fact, according to their site, my question (which I posted five days ago) has not even been assigned to a customer service rep yet!

I like their product, but their customer service is terrible. Just wanted to pass that info along to anyone who is considering buying their testing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 09:57 AM

Hm, I just got a response from 23andme on their FB page. It basically tells me nothing, other than "test times can vary" and "our customer care reps work M-F so response time can vary."

Duh. That's really not my point. My point is that THEIR site says "a few more days" and "up to two weeks" but my test results are delayed well past that point, and then my question about that hasn't even been assigned to a customer care rep yet. THAT'S what's irritating - not the actual wait itself.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:48 AM

9,209 posts, read 18,049,326 times
Wow, I've been on the fence between going for 23andme vs. the ancestry.com $99 test. This is swaying me to Ancestry. I don't even want health info, just my ancestral background (my % of British Isles, Scandinavia, etc.)

Old 11-11-2013, 12:24 PM

2,422 posts, read 3,262,551 times
I think there is some sort of delay with your batch. When I took the 23andMe test I had my ancestry back a couple of days after the health info. My husband and father sent theirs in after I got mine back. They got their health info back on the same day that you posted you got yours. They don't have their ancestry results back yet either. I don't know if it helps to know that the whole batch was delayed but thought I would let you know.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:31 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 5 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,686,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I think there is some sort of delay with your batch. When I took the 23andMe test I had my ancestry back a couple of days after the health info. My husband and father sent theirs in after I got mine back. They got their health info back on the same day that you posted you got yours. They don't have their ancestry results back yet either. I don't know if it helps to know that the whole batch was delayed but thought I would let you know.
I plan to use Ancestry, but am waiting a little while. With the newly expanded results and the holidays coming up, I'm sure they are swamped. All the publicity with the tv shows featureing the dna testing systems may have gotten the interest of a lot more people as well.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:35 PM

2,319 posts, read 1,980,825 times
Quote:
I'm a reasonable person, but what frustrates me the MOST is that they simply are not responding to my question of why there is a delay.
That always puts me off any company altogether -- lack of courtesy. Thanks for posting.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:47 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,871,379 times
Yep their customer service is horrible and there is no real way to get a hold of someone without an automated response. It took mine almost 3 weeks to arrive at their lab, so I emailed them to ask about it when I never go an update. Got the same responses that you did.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:51 PM

So frustrating. It's the poor customer service that bothers me. If I ever get my results back, and if they're anything along the lines of my husband's (which were sent in at EXACTLY THE SAME TIME AS MINE), then I am sure I'll be pleased with the product. But I detest poor customer service. If other companies can offer the same product with better customer service, I want to know about them and I will be sure that whenever I tell anyone about 23andme, I'll let them know that though the product is good - their service absolutely sucks.

Bad deal.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:54 PM

9,209 posts, read 18,049,326 times
Ugh, I'm still going back & forth between 23andMe and AncestryDNA.

So far, they are even on price ($99), and for the autosomal tests, they both seem to give the info I want (breakdown of the geographic area my ancestors came from). I don't really care about a haplogroup; nor do I really need medical/health info.

But they both have negatives that bug me:
--23andMe: Poor customer service as documented in this thread.

--Ancestry: They tie your test results in with your family tree. You automatically get hooked up with strangers who might be related, and you have no choice of being totally anonymous. You can be identified by either your name, or your Ancestry.com ID (which is most of my name).

I'm starting to think I might put up with non-responsive customer service in favor of having my test results tied to my tree (which is public). That's too much info about me being owned by one website.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:01 PM

803 posts, read 1,300,685 times
I noticed some mentions about their poor customer service on the web prior to buying a kit, but most of the complaints were from several years ago. I think part of it is the rapid increase in business they've experienced recently, but in any case, it seems to be an area they need to work on.

I received my Countries of Ancestry results today, so hopefully the Ancestry Composition will follow soon...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy