Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 08:48 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,533,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
There is one male cousin but I barely know him and he's not the type who would do this. Going back to a previous generation won't work either. That would be my grandfather's brother's children--his two brothers died young back in England so they never had children. One died of a seizure and one died of TB. (It's because of their deaths plus my grandfather's first son dying of kidney disease that he left England never to return.)

Even if I "worked on" this male cousin who probably won't do it, that would only give me the haplogroup that goes back thousands of years, right? Won't I still get some paternal information from 23andme?
I'd just like to know "what" we were back in England. If I could just get back a few hundred years that would be fine.
Yes, the AC results will give you both sides, so you will get what you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 01:49 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,312,833 times
Being a female and my direct male cousins gone, my grandfather's brother's son agreed to do the YDNA test with Family Tree. Since It was the same paternal line, we both go back to our mutual great grandfather's YDNA. Two brick walls were knocked over with this. So if that is an option, it works.

I did the 23andme and got reasonable results.

good luck

Old 12-04-2013, 02:06 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Being a female and my direct male cousins gone, my grandfather's brother's son agreed to do the YDNA test with Family Tree. Since It was the same paternal line, we both go back to our mutual great grandfather's YDNA. Two brick walls were knocked over with this. So if that is an option, it works.

I did the 23andme and got reasonable results.

good luck
That's great and you are very lucky to have someone living who could do it.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:00 PM

Yesterday I got my first results, today I think I have the rest of them. That was fast!

Ancestry composition=99.9% European. 0.1% unassigned.

Genome is (I don't understand this) UK 1.2%, Ireland 0.6%, Finland 0.3%, Poland 0.1%

It also said 20.0% British and Irish. I think I am almost ALL British and Irish. The other countries must have been from eons ago?

Old 12-04-2013, 04:30 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Yesterday I got my first results, today I think I have the rest of them. That was fast!

Genome is (I don't understand this) UK 1.2%, Ireland 0.6%, Finland 0.3%, Poland 0.1%

It also said 20.0% British and Irish. I think I am almost ALL British and Irish. The other countries must have been from eons ago?
How far back have you taken your family tree?

Remember that the results roughly correspond to about 500 years ago. There could be a lot of French and German in there.

I expected to find English, Scots, Irish, and German ancestors. The French Huguenots floored me.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:30 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,055 posts, read 30,375,811 times
Quote:

If you're looking at Ancestry Composition, the standard level is default. You can also chose conservative or speculative. Speculative best matches what was already known in my experience.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:39 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,055 posts, read 30,375,811 times
I just noticed there's a lot more possible detail breaking out on the African and Asian. That's new and should be useful for those with ancestry from those areas.

African is broken out as:
Sub-Saharan African
-West African
-East African
-Central & South African
-Nonspecific Sub-Saharan African

And Asian as:
East Asian & Native American
-East Asian
-Japanese
-Korean
-Yakut
-Mongolian
-Chinese
-Nonspecific East Asian
-Southeast Asian
-Native American
-Nonspecific East Asian & Native American

And
Oceanian for the Pacific Islands.

They've been busy expanding these populations for comparison, evidently.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How far back have you taken your family tree?

Remember that the results roughly correspond to about 500 years ago. There could be a lot of French and German in there.

I expected to find English, Scots, Irish, and German ancestors. The French Huguenots floored me.

I agree with the 99.9% European. I have my American lines back to about 1600 and my English lines vary from the Norman conquest to only 1774 in one line.

The European part is from 500 years back. That does make sense. They wouldn't have necessarily arrived in the British Isles yet, they would have still been wandering around somewhere in Europe. OH--and maybe the 20% English/Irish means that early on, some of my ancestors had already arrived in the British Isles. Anglos/Saxons/Jutes whatever. But is it like a snapshot of 500 years ago? Or some sort of averaging. That part is confusing and even *I* am not sure what I mean.

But it's the Genome that I don't understand--a % of what? What's it supposed to add up to?

I am mostly thinking out loud--I'm so excited to have received my information and haven't calmed down enough to sit here and do the reading.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:58 PM

322 posts, read 584,499 times
Found out that I have some cousins in Massachusetts, Alberta, Manitoba and Ontario on my mom's side. I know that she was descended from Loyalists that fled Massachusetts and went to the Bahamas, but apparently some of them also went to Lower Canada and then eventually went out West in the late 19th and early 20th century. On my dad's side, I found relations with a man from Curacao. Apparently, we have some ancestors that were brothers but one was taken to the Bahamas while the other was taken to Havana then sent again to Curacao.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRolle View Post
Found out that I have some cousins in Massachusetts, Alberta, Manitoba and Ontario on my mom's side. I know that she was descended from Loyalists that fled Massachusetts and went to the Bahamas, but apparently some of them also went to Lower Canada and then eventually went out West in the late 19th and early 20th century. On my dad's side, I found relations with a man from Curacao. Apparently, we have some ancestors that were brothers but one was taken to the Bahamas while the other was taken to Havana then sent again to Curacao.
Isn't it interesting where everyone ends up! i have some Loyalists too and they abandoned their land and fled over the Canadian border. Your people seemed to travel around; mine just stayed in the general area whenever they could. Yours really need to be chased after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy