Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 11:34 PM

23 posts, read 67,485 times

Advertisements

I know that on my Grandma's side there is a family member that was born in Ireland and moved to America in the late 1800s or early 1900s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 03:49 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,290,982 times
Try to follow census records, church records, immigration records, etc to find out their names, where they came from by town in Ireland,when, and anything else to thoroughly identify them.

Then you can use the data bases in Northern Ireland and Ireland as appropriate or local records from the appropriate town. and can hire a geneologist to over there to find what they can.

But you will need the basic vitals first.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:55 PM

803 posts, read 1,664,429 times
Try Mundia.com to view family trees for free, and Familysearch.org to view some immigration and census documents for free.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:09 PM
bjh

59,952 posts, read 30,275,344 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/genea...arch-here.html

Old 12-23-2013, 10:21 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,831,416 times
Begin with what you know & work back generation by generation.

As mentioned above, www.familysearch.org is a good starting point.

www.ancestry.com is another good resource. Ancestry is a subscription site, but is availalbe for free on many public library computers.

Try to interview older relatives. Find your family on U.S. census & vital records. Naturalizations (especially post-1906 nats) can have great data. Passenger manifests for NY can be searched through www.stevemorse.org

Family Search & Ancestry also have passenger manifest data.

A lot can be found on the internet these days. When we started doing genealogy two decades ago we had to schlep to the archives & troll through reels of microfilm. LOL

Old 12-26-2013, 06:45 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,318,274 times
Ancestry is very sparse on the Irish stuff I am finding. Most irish were Catholic. If you can get a city where they lived, you might be able to find the diocese and access some parish records, etc. That helps. Catholics like to keep records... Also obituaries may list county where they came from and other relations you can trace back for clues.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:32 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,207,511 times
My three or so x great grandfather was an Orangeman from Ulster. He had a wife and two children. Then, just after the US civil war, something compelled him to leave immediately. He arrived in America and within a year married another Ulster Irish immigrant, who are grandparents.

I'd sure like to find out something about the wife and child and see if I have any cousins running around Ulster anymore. I'd also like to read up on what current events were happening say just before he took off for America.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:16 PM

26,650 posts, read 28,557,937 times
Sometimes you can find their naturalization records and that will tell you where they came from originally. I used the National Archives. He left his wife and children behind? That's a strange story, wonder if he got into some kind of trouble. Maybe you can find a ship's list and his name would be there among the other immigrants. Try a google search for Ships Lists and give some general years. Also, it would help to know where he arrived. New York? Boston? Somewhere else?

Old 01-02-2014, 05:51 PM
bjh

59,952 posts, read 30,275,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Ancestry is very sparse on the Irish stuff I am finding. Most irish were Catholic. If you can get a city where they lived, you might be able to find the diocese and access some parish records, etc. That helps. Catholics like to keep records... Also obituaries may list county where they came from and other relations you can trace back for clues.
So one mentioned Ancestry.co.uk in another thread.

Maybe they have more Irish records? It would seem they'd have the same things though.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:02 PM

23 posts, read 67,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Sometimes you can find their naturalization records and that will tell you where they came from originally. I used the National Archives. He left his wife and children behind? That's a strange story, wonder if he got into some kind of trouble. Maybe you can find a ship's list and his name would be there among the other immigrants. Try a google search for Ships Lists and give some general years. Also, it would help to know where he arrived. New York? Boston? Somewhere else?
I think he was young because if I remember correctly(my aunt has the records) he got married and had kids out here in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy