Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2013, 12:20 PM

31 posts, read 52,749 times

Advertisements

Looking for relatives and/or information on either side, although particularly curious about Sherwood. My ggg grandfather was James Sherwood. Records mention a place of birth as "England"- I am curious as to where in England he lived exactly, and possibly more information about his deeper ancestry. I only ever saw "England" as his place of birth in records.

James' wife was Mary Ann (nee' Wiltfong), descent from a German (I believe specifically Bohemian) family that arrived in Canada first in the early 1800's...possibly slightly earlier. The two married in east Michigan (marriage record says they were living in Lexington, Michigan at the time). They both would go on to have children and move to Racine, Wisconsin for a while.

I have hit a brick wall, using freeware Ancestry and familysearch. I am curious to see if I have cousins out there who will stumble upon this and provide any new info, or anecdotes. Or perhaps anyone more savvy with genealogical research who stumble upon something.

I do not know James' immigration year. I only know he was born in England from records from when he was already in the states. I have also not been able to find if he came alone as an adult, or with family...or where he first arrived at...or anything of that sort.

The earliest actual record I have seen of James is his marriage certificate to Mary Wiltfong, which briefly states they were both "of Lexington"- a town in Sanilac county, michigan.

Last edited by Yochanan77; 12-24-2013 at 12:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 01:04 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,137,874 times
Any idea of when? What century?

Old 12-24-2013, 03:54 PM

37,092 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Yes, we need dates, preferably exact birth dates, date of marriage, where they lived and when, death dates.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:29 PM

Ty...I seem to have neglected to include that.

James appears to have been born either in 1841 or 1842. Mary, his wife, 1844.

I think the date of their marriage is July 1867...

As I mentioned earlier, they briefly lived in the thumb area of Michigan...I think they moved to west Michigan briefly to have their children, but I cannot recall or re-locate the files to which settlement it was. I can tell you that they were living in Racine, Wisconsin before very long.

I know Mary Wiltfong was born in Canada, but I do not know which province specifically, directly prior to migration. I do not know if she met James in Michigan, or if James was in Canada first, or what. As I said, the earlier record I've seen of James was his marriage to Mary in 1867, with both living at the time in Michigan.

In regards to death dates...I do not know.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:44 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,847,653 times
You can search U.K. vital record indices at FreeBMD Home Page

There are 3 James SHERWOOD's listed as born in 1841 / 1842.

Do you know James' parents names?

Old 12-24-2013, 09:52 PM

There are two family trees at Ancestry.com that give James Sherwood's parents as

William E. Sherwood
Birth 1820 in England
Death 1897 in S. Crosby Twp, Leeds Co, Ontario, Canada

married about 1840 in Leeds, Ontario, Canada

Eleanor Smith
Birth 20 May 1808 in Ireland
Death 04 Oct 1892 in South Crosby Twp. Leeds Co. Ontario

James Sherwood
Birth abt 1842 in England
Death abt 1880 in Wisconsin, USA

Mary Ann Wilfong
Birth 24 Apr 1844 in Ontario, Canada
Death 1 Aug 1924 in Racine, Racine Co., WI

James and Mary Ann married 4 Jul 1867 in Sanilac, MI

There is a good deal of info on Mary's family, including a date of immigration to the US for her of about 1860.

One tree gives an immigration record of 1842 for James. It would appear his parents (or mother, at least) went to England between 1840 and 1842.

James had a son born in Apr 1883, so his death would be 1882 or later. His wife was a widow by the time of the 1900 census.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:37 PM

Unfortunately, I do not know for Certain James parent's names. I didn't even know his given name was "James" until I endeavored to do some research. I have an old family photo which has hand writing on it saying "grandpa Sherwood". That is...grandfather to my great grandfather.

Incidentally, I found another Very old photo of a couple which has writing "Bill's great grandmother and grandfather- he lived to 104, she to 103". Once again- no names, but I noticed the man looked a fair deal like James, so I have assumed they are his parents. Alas, this does not line up...as those death dates in the one record you posted info from, Suzy, show significantly shorter lifespans.

Of course, there's the possibility this photograph is of a different set of great grandparents...

I do wish these folk listed some names and more info......oh the woes of the genealogist!

I do really appreciate all this help, by the way!

Old 01-05-2014, 09:26 PM

Thanks for the find, Suzy.

I wonder where from Ireland this Eleanor Smith was born...could likely make all the difference between native Irish, or Ulster Scot. Not sure how that would be found via these means (unless perhaps religion is given). Just thinking aloud.

I wonder if that is indeed my Sherwood line, though. I can't help but shake the notion that the picture of my great grandfather's great grandparents "who lived to 104...and 103" were James' parents. If that notion is correct, then the couple listed above simply could not be my relatives, given their much shorter lifespans. I hear that many public libraries have ancestry accounts...maybe sometime soon I'll invest a day to do some hardcore research.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yochanan77 View Post
Thanks for the find, Suzy.

I wonder where from Ireland this Eleanor Smith was born...could likely make all the difference between native Irish, or Ulster Scot. Not sure how that would be found via these means (unless perhaps religion is given). Just thinking aloud.

I wonder if that is indeed my Sherwood line, though. I can't help but shake the notion that the picture of my great grandfather's great grandparents "who lived to 104...and 103" were James' parents. If that notion is correct, then the couple listed above simply could not be my relatives, given their much shorter lifespans. I hear that many public libraries have ancestry accounts...maybe sometime soon I'll invest a day to do some hardcore research.
Ancestry.com offers a two week free trial. They ask for a credit card number, but you can just cancel if you do not want to continue the subscription after that.

You can also contact the owners of the trees and see how they got their info.

Another possibility would be to see if you can find a death certificate for Eleanor. That might give the city where she was born and her parents. You have a death date, so it should not be too difficult. Remember to look for Eleanor Smith Sherwood.

Ontario Genealogy Resource

Old 07-21-2016, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 792 times
James Sherwood and Mary Ann Wilfong are my gg grandparents. I have a copy of James's birth record from England. He was born April 9, 1842 in Middlesborough, England. His parents are James Sherwood and Margaret Fawcett. There is a James and Margaret Sherwood living in Fremont, Sanilac County, Michigan in 1870 & 1880. James & Mary Ann were there in 1870. I am not positive that this is his parents but everything fits. I have not been able to find out when James died. If you are still searching for more info please let me know and we can compare notes. My great grandmother was their daughter Mary Ann.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy