U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 11:50 AM

334 posts, read 440,701 times

Advertisements

Gosh, the lies are interesting! My dad started researching his line and got so upset he had to stop. Every danged search would turn up lies, embarrassing things, miserable things, and crops of not-nice ancestors!

Some of the information shared above would make good ideas for novels!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 02:39 PM

295 posts, read 719,504 times
I've not been able to research my own family much and it's both frustrating and sad.

Father's mother had 11 kids - 3 by husband #1, 4 by husband #2. The 4 in between have 2-3 different dads yet they all have the last name of husband #1 (including my dad). So we aren't REALLY a part of that family name. But she never told him who his father was so we'll just never know.
Same grandmother was given the surname of her mother's husband...who was not her father. Dead end.

Mother was born to 14 year old who was suspected to have been molested and impregnated by her step father. Mother was initially raised as her sister (instead of her daughter) and eventually the truth came out and she went to live with her mother. Do not know who her real father is.

So I always say we will start with my parents and go from there! LOL!

Old 02-06-2014, 04:59 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,783,290 times
Some of us ARE the family secret lol. I was adopted (my bmother was overseas on a working holiday) and she ended up dying at a fairly youngish age (under 40) so I had a fair idea that my existence would be a surprise to her siblings (which is why it took me 4 years to build up the courage). In the end, they were very welcoming and since they were very fond of their sister, I think they sort of like that there is a link (she had no other living children).

Old 02-11-2014, 10:18 PM

449 posts, read 1,431,207 times
Wow, I don't know how some of you were able to decipher such tangled family histories. It does take a lot of perseverance to figure things out. The secret in my family seems tame in comparison. My grandmother's youngest had an unknown father, her husband was in and out of their lives, not around then and I heard pretty miffed about it. That child in turn had a middle child with someone else while married and living with her husband My cousin didn't find out till after his mom died, his older sister had assumed he knew so never brought it up in time for him to talk to his mom.

I have no idea how to put this all in our tree, except to use the husband's surname which is what the records show.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:53 AM

129 posts, read 130,161 times
I have came across several skeletons in the closet, somewhat close to what you have described as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy