U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 12:12 AM

195 posts, read 579,776 times

Advertisements

Anyone else find out that there was some infidelity in there background or "adoptions" when researching their ancestry? I began digging around about 18 months ago and discovered that my grandmother was knocked up by another guy when she married my grandfather. Turns out it was his best friend and he stole my GM from him. This guy was an Indian and her parents weren't too stoked about that I was told, even though her dad was half aboriginal Canadian from Quebec. Then I discovered my grandfather was no saint either, he had 8 other random kids that no one knew about. This explained a lot into why my mother and I looked like Spaniards surrounded by Vikings. After getting this info I ordered a genetic DNA test which revealed results that lined up with my discoveries. My best friend started looking into his and found out his older sister was his real mom. Pretty messed up, then they told him his biological father was dead and he totally wasn't; he was chilling out in California with fat cash and had been trying to find my friend for years. I swear to god people will lie their a$$ off to no end point. I'm certain my friend and I aren't the only ones out there with a tainted family tree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 02:21 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,173,706 times
What you have written is not common, but is discovered from time to time. I would make a very sincere suggestion; Do not accept these "discoveries" until you have paper documentation. It often happens that these discoveries started out as suspicions, were passed around, then morphed into "fact". I have been doing genealogy for about 50 years and LBC (Long Before Computers) when it was all done with letters, phone calls, and visits to archives/court houses. So I think I'm qualified to say I have seen it all and soon learned (the hard way) to sort out the BS, rumors, and family oral history. If you don't, it'll bite you in the every time.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:02 PM

11,544 posts, read 25,086,443 times
Okay, Old Fossil, are you up for a challenge? I am sure there is a way to explain this.

Families A and B each had ten children. Four siblings from family A married four siblings from family B. The four couples had many children who were double cousins. Mother would call this "double cousins four ways" as they had other cousins, too. What do you call it?

My ancestral grandmother "M" was a sister of "J" - the only girl from Family A who married a boy from Family B. M's oldest daughter "I" married a man whose father married widow "J" after his wife died. Thence "I"s natural aunt became her mother-in-law.

I sorted several of these weird marriages to get the truth. Genealogy is amusing and confusing.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:34 PM

134 posts, read 121,259 times
Old Fossil, the problem with that is that the OP has the DNA test ruling in his favor, but that the paper trail is going to show what his grandmother wanted everyone else to believe, not the truth.

In my family I have a brown-eyed grandmother with two blue-eyed parents. Her birth certificate reads her legal father as my great-grandmother's husband, Blue-eyed Guy, when it couldn't possibly be true. I will probably go the DNA test route myself, sooner than later, to get these facts down properly. There would be nothing worse (genealogically speaking) than letting the wrong information get passed down while I have the chance to set things straight. I'm glad Conroy25 posted this so that I was reminded.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:35 AM

4,135 posts, read 9,120,662 times
For years we were told by one branch of the family my husband's branch "had to be an adoption", because the tombstone said he died before the birth of the child my husband descends from. After years of research, we found the relatives with the family Bible and it has the date of death that we have; the Town Clerk register also confirmed it. Censuses and land records confirm it as well. We are right. But, the stone still stands ( a replacement stone with the wrong date), and the one branch contends they are right .... we think they bought the stone! Never trust headstones......search farther!

Old 01-06-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Okay, Old Fossil, are you up for a challenge? I am sure there is a way to explain this.

Families A and B each had ten children. Four siblings from family A married four siblings from family B. The four couples had many children who were double cousins. Mother would call this "double cousins four ways" as they had other cousins, too. What do you call it?

My ancestral grandmother "M" was a sister of "J" - the only girl from Family A who married a boy from Family B. M's oldest daughter "I" married a man whose father married widow "J" after his wife died. Thence "I"s natural aunt became her mother-in-law.

I sorted several of these weird marriages to get the truth. Genealogy is amusing and confusing.
O.K. linicx, I concede the "game" 'cause you always come up with the good stuff because of your great in depth research . But closer to home; my Mother-in-Law's Father-in-Law was also her stepfather. Long story.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
For years we were told by one branch of the family my husband's branch "had to be an adoption", because the tombstone said he died before the birth of the child my husband descends from. After years of research, we found the relatives with the family Bible and it has the date of death that we have; the Town Clerk register also confirmed it. Censuses and land records confirm it as well. We are right. But, the stone still stands ( a replacement stone with the wrong date), and the one branch contends they are right .... we think they bought the stone! Never trust headstones......search farther!
"Search farther" is a big 10-4

Old 01-06-2014, 11:50 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,005,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conroy25 View Post
Anyone else find out that there was some infidelity in there background or "adoptions" when researching their ancestry?
I've discoverd a number of illegitimate births that were eventually sorted out. Funny thing - it was easier to document 19th century (1860s - 1870s) bastardry (not a good word, but used liberally back then) than those that occurred in the 1900s. I thought the stigma of being born illegitimate in the mid-1800s would be particularly heinous, but it was treated with more of a matter-of-fact attitude then, than later. At least in the instances I discovered. Often, the 19th century births were dealt with by farming the kids out to relatives, where I discovered them in the census. Later, I found them in obituaries, quite often listing the father. That was a surprise. More recent births - 1930s and 1940s - I only know of the alleged parentage by listening to family gossip. Asking those who gossip about the source of the allegations gets me shut out, tout de suite.

Often, I'll let out an exasperated *snort* and say "oh, c'mon. you think people really care about that stuff these days? *sheesh!*" If the person with the info is over 70, I know the likelihood of being told the truth, or getting a source, is almost zip.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:15 PM
bjh

26,130 posts, read 22,790,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
But they've got it carved in stone. Seriously though, one source is never as good as two or more. Sounds like your date has more sources.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:08 PM

3,286 posts, read 4,606,040 times
The actor Jack Nicholson, and the singer Bobby Darin, were both raised by their grandmothers posing as their mothers. The mens' real birth mothers posed instead as the mens' oldest sister.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy