U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2019, 09:27 PM

6,829 posts, read 12,220,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
They are generally representative of a few hundred to about a thousand years ago, but it really depends on the individual and the reference panel and how they compare. But definitely not 1900, that is much too recent.

That's fairly typical, the Irish generally are less mixed than other European areas. AncestryDNA have yet to give us more details since the update, but before their reference panel update, their data said the average Irish native was about 95% Irish.
Thanks for the info.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 09:29 PM

6,829 posts, read 12,220,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I found out that my Scottish ancestors only married others of Scottish ancestry for about 200 years in what is now the US, and then when one of them did eventually marry someone of English ancestry, that person was from northern England, near the Scottish border - and that was 200 years after they moved to the New World.

And this was within Scottish communities, first in PA, then in VA, then SC, then AL and finally in AR. So even though they moved around, they moved within circles of people with Scottish ancestry.

Interestingly, my last name (taken from my husband) is Irish. He has a chunk of Irish ancestry, but his Irish ancestors moved to Louisiana, where they promptly mixed things up quite a bit! His 23andme "color chart" is the colors of the rainbow, with every sort of ethnicity all mixed up, while mine is all blue. Every bit blue. I am 100 percent European - 99.1 percent northern European, with .9 percent as "broadly European."
Thanks.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:02 AM

23,434 posts, read 4,859,471 times
Just the basics....

75% British, Irish
the rest German, French, Broad European

Was hoping for something more exotic...

Old 02-24-2019, 10:49 PM

1 posts, read 125 times
37.7% Nigerian
9.6% Ghanaian/Liberian/Sierra Leonean
6.8% Congolese
6.2% Senegambian/Guinean
0.8% Southern East African
12.1% Broadly West African
1.7% Broadly Congolese & Southern East African
2.9% Broadly Sub-Saharan African
0.4% African Hunter-Gatherer
0.2% Broadly Northern East African

5.7% British & Irish
8.4% Broadly Northwestern European
1.6% Broadly Southern European
2.0% Broadly European

1.9% Native American
0.3% Indonesia, Thai, Khmer & Myanmar
0.1% Broadly Native American & Northern Asian

More European than I thought, which is a surprise. I have ancestors from every section in Africa except North Africa, which is cool to know. I was pretty excited to find out that one of my parent's haplogroups overlap with an Ancient Egyptian Pharaoh (Ramesses III). Not a direct descendant but, we share a paternal ancestor.

Old 03-01-2019, 12:36 PM

23,434 posts, read 4,859,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece87 View Post
37.7% Nigerian
9.6% Ghanaian/Liberian/Sierra Leonean
6.8% Congolese
6.2% Senegambian/Guinean
0.8% Southern East African
12.1% Broadly West African
1.7% Broadly Congolese & Southern East African
2.9% Broadly Sub-Saharan African
0.4% African Hunter-Gatherer
0.2% Broadly Northern East African

5.7% British & Irish
8.4% Broadly Northwestern European
1.6% Broadly Southern European
2.0% Broadly European

1.9% Native American
0.3% Indonesia, Thai, Khmer & Myanmar
0.1% Broadly Native American & Northern Asian

More European than I thought, which is a surprise. I have ancestors from every section in Africa except North Africa, which is cool to know. I was pretty excited to find out that one of my parent's haplogroups overlap with an Ancient Egyptian Pharaoh (Ramesses III). Not a direct descendant but, we share a paternal ancestor.

VERY interesting....I was only 99% British. Boring.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:33 AM

8,562 posts, read 13,264,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
VERY interesting....I was only 99% British. Boring.
Why is that boring? You're basically completely British, which is not actually super common, even among British people.

Old 03-11-2019, 03:28 AM

4 posts, read 180 times
Quote:
Why is that boring? You're basically completely British, which is not actually super common, even among British people.
All ethnic British people are completely British. European DNA and ancestry isn't the same, so the Scandinavian, and Germanic parts of their DNA is also British, not just the percentage that says British DNA

Old 03-11-2019, 03:31 AM

4 posts, read 180 times
My dna results says
75% African

22% European

1.2% Southeast Asian

0.7% North African

I personally only identify with my European/Iberian roots So I want to learn about my Southern European ancestry

Old 03-11-2019, 08:53 AM

8,562 posts, read 13,264,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureKite2.0 View Post
All ethnic British people are completely British. European DNA and ancestry isn't the same, so the Scandinavian, and Germanic parts of their DNA is also British, not just the percentage that says British DNA
British people are much more admixed than some other Europeans, such as the Irish. Unfortunately, AncestryDNA removed their admixture chart for their reference panel, and the screenshot I have of it is probably too big to upload here, but it showed that apart from Western Europe and Iberia, the British are more mixed than any other European population, with the typical native British person being only about 60% British. So no, it's not typical for someone to get 98-100% in Great Britain.

Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM

10,018 posts, read 20,821,383 times
Quote:
British people are much more admixed than some other Europeans, such as the Irish. Unfortunately, AncestryDNA removed their admixture chart for their reference panel, and the screenshot I have of it is probably too big to upload here, but it showed that apart from Western Europe and Iberia, the British are more mixed than any other European population, with the typical native British person being only about 60% British. So no, it's not typical for someone to get 98-100% in Great Britain.
Upload it to your C-D photo albums. At the top right of the page it says Welcome, PA2UK. Click your user name. On the right column you'll see your friends then albums. Click where it says Show All Albums, upload the pic there then post the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy