U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 07:44 PM

615 posts, read 405,064 times

Advertisements

My results:
Eurogenes K13

Population
North_Atlantic 19.97
Baltic 7.56
West_Med 17.63
West_Asian 2.81
East_Med 9.84
Red_Sea 3.16
South_Asian -
East_Asian -
Siberian 1.84
Amerindian 26.94
Oceanian -
Northeast_African 1.18
Sub-Saharan 9.08

My MtDNA: C1 (Native American)
My Y-DNA: R1b1b2a1a2f* (Irish)

Last edited by ozarknation; 02-20-2017 at 08:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 08:04 PM

3,137 posts, read 1,714,819 times
Is 23 and Me a more comprehensive test?

I only got 3 categories on myheritagedna.

It looks like 23 and me picks up little pieces of dna here and there from different places.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:47 AM

8,480 posts, read 13,196,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Is 23 and Me a more comprehensive test?

I only got 3 categories on myheritagedna.

It looks like 23 and me picks up little pieces of dna here and there from different places.
23andMe's ethnicity report is often more accurate, but they also use "Broadly" categories to show when certain parts of your DNA can't be narrowed down further. If you're looking for more precision, or a narrower break down, 23andMe isn't going to provide it. Futhermore, regardless of what company you test with, small amounts of DNA placed in certain categories are always going to be possible "noise" - ie, like a false positive. Even if 23andMe gave you more trace amounts or little pieces here and there from different places (which it wouldn't necessarily do - everyone's results are different so you can't go by someone else's results), it doesn't necessarily mean that's more accurate.

I think you're looking for the DNA test to provide you with a precision of the ethnicity report that isn't possible, no matter what company you test with.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
23andMe's ethnicity report is often more accurate, but they also use "Broadly" categories to show when certain parts of your DNA can't be narrowed down further. If you're looking for more precision, or a narrower break down, 23andMe isn't going to provide it. Futhermore, regardless of what company you test with, small amounts of DNA placed in certain categories are always going to be possible "noise" - ie, like a false positive. Even if 23andMe gave you more trace amounts or little pieces here and there from different places (which it wouldn't necessarily do - everyone's results are different so you can't go by someone else's results), it doesn't necessarily mean that's more accurate.

I think you're looking for the DNA test to provide you with a precision of the ethnicity report that isn't possible, no matter what company you test with.
I just find it odd that I only got three categories, but most people seem to get six to ten categories at least. So not sure. Maybe I'm just not very diverse in my background.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:26 PM

8,480 posts, read 13,196,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I just find it odd that I only got three categories, but most people seem to get six to ten categories at least. So not sure. Maybe I'm just not very diverse in my background.
Yes, it really depends on the individual.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:15 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,841,808 times
i know both sets of grandparents came to the usa from germany, so i thought i was mostly german. ancestry tells me completely different:

great britain 36%
europe west 31%
scandinavia 23%
ireland 4%
europe east 2%
iberian penninsula <1%
finland/northwest russian <1%
asia south <1%
caucasus <1%

hubby was told he was native american. ancstry tells him:

europe west 52%
ireland 31%
scandinavia 7%
finland/northwest russia 4%
europe east 3%
great britain 2%
italy/greece 1%

we are waiting for our 23 & me results, will post those when they come in

Old 02-27-2017, 06:57 AM

615 posts, read 405,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
i know both sets of grandparents came to the usa from germany, so i thought i was mostly german. ancestry tells me completely different:

great britain 36%
europe west 31%
scandinavia 23%
ireland 4%
europe east 2%
iberian penninsula <1%
asia south <1%
caucasus <1%

hubby was told he was native american. ancstry tells him:

europe west 52%
ireland 31%
scandinavia 7%
finland/northwest russia 4%
europe east 3%
great britain 2%
italy/greece 1%

we are waiting for our 23 & me results, will post those when they come in
I have found a lot of people with the same issues, they believe they have Native American ancestry and they do not.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:

great britain 36%
europe west 31%
scandinavia 23%
ireland 4%
europe east 2%
iberian penninsula <1%
asia south <1%
caucasus <1%
Wouldn't "Europe West" include Germany? I'm not aware of any ancestry test that tells someone they specifically have "German" in them. A lot of Germans have Scandinavian ancestry. It looks like from those percentages, you are about 54% German. (31% Europe West plus 23% Scandinavian).

Old 03-01-2017, 10:36 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,841,808 times
^^ o it does, but i was expecting the % to be higher. to find out i was more british than german was a shock

Old 03-02-2017, 12:03 AM

2,233 posts, read 1,445,859 times
Quote:
^^ o it does, but i was expecting the % to be higher. to find out i was more british than german was a shock
I think their must be some error with that ancestry report. English, Scotish, Germans, Dutch, and Scandanavians have a lot of genetic overlap. Saxon, Viking, and Norman raids left their marks all over that part of Europe.

My father's family all immigrated recently (1920s) from one of the west slavic countries. I have the typical slavic haplogroup, R1a1a, but my test showed my ancestry as only being 4% slavic or something. And it gave me like 41% "British and Irish". I don't even have Irish ancestry. and I get told all the time how Slavic I look.

Then I had a big chunk "German and French" (those two groups don't even LOOK similar! Why are they in the same grouping?), a big chunk "undescribed Northern european" and I think the last bit was "undescribed european".
I think these tests must compare your DNA to others and the program looks at their ancestry reported.

So if someone has German and English roots, but lists their ancestry as only British, and then your own DNA looks similar to theirs the program is going to tell you that you are a large chunk British even though you might be of only German ancestry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy