U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 06:45 AM

42,907 posts, read 34,374,367 times

Advertisements

Germany and France are both large countries, and share a large border, which has shifted back and forth between the two countries so there is a lot of genetic overlap between those two countries. I lived in southern Germany (Bavaria) and the people there generally speaking don't look Nordic or Scandinavian at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 09:41 PM

2,620 posts, read 3,912,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
I think their must be some error with that ancestry report. English, Scotish, Germans, Dutch, and Scandanavians have a lot of genetic overlap. Saxon, Viking, and Norman raids left their marks all over that part of Europe.

My father's family all immigrated recently (1920s) from one of the west slavic countries. I have the typical slavic haplogroup, R1a1a, but my test showed my ancestry as only being 4% slavic or something. And it gave me like 41% "British and Irish". I don't even have Irish ancestry. and I get told all the time how Slavic I look.

Then I had a big chunk "German and French" (those two groups don't even LOOK similar! Why are they in the same grouping?), a big chunk "undescribed Northern european" and I think the last bit was "undescribed european".
I think these tests must compare your DNA to others and the program looks at their ancestry reported.

So if someone has German and English roots, but lists their ancestry as only British, and then your own DNA looks similar to theirs the program is going to tell you that you are a large chunk British even though you might be of only German ancestry.
All northern European countries have a lot of genetic overlap and this is why they cluster together on genetic plots. Regarding British & Irish on 23andMe and also Ireland on Ancestry it is obvious to me that this is measuring Bell Beaker which is old. Irish and German Bell Beaker are virtually identical so it is not surprising that Germans would also get this. In fact most Europeans get a small percentage of British & Irish and it is obvious this isn't actually direct ancestry from Britain and Ireland.

Rathlin (Irish Bell Beaker) genetic affinity. Red highest haplosharing and blue lowest.

This is 23andMe's genetic plot.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:53 PM

2,736 posts, read 5,867,182 times
I had mine done with ancestry and before doing it i knew i had french, russian, german and irish and this is what happened:

Asia < 1%
Trace Regions < 1%
Asia South < 1%
Other Regions Tested
Asia East 0%
Asia Central 0%
Europe 99%
Ireland 38%
Europe East 22%
Scandinavia 22%
Europe West 6%
Trace Regions 11%
Iberian Peninsula 5%
Italy/Greece 4%
Finland/Northwest Russia < 1%
European Jewish < 1%
Great Britain < 1%

Old 03-02-2017, 11:15 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,445,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
All northern European countries have a lot of genetic overlap and this is why they cluster together on genetic plots. Regarding British & Irish on 23andMe and also Ireland on Ancestry it is obvious to me that this is measuring Bell Beaker which is old. Irish and German Bell Beaker are virtually identical so it is not surprising that Germans would also get this. In fact most Europeans get a small percentage of British & Irish and it is obvious this isn't actually direct ancestry from Britain and Ireland.

Rathlin (Irish Bell Beaker) genetic affinity. Red highest haplosharing and blue lowest.

This is 23andMe's genetic plot.

Thank you for explaining that. It makes a lot of sense out of things.

Old 03-03-2017, 02:46 AM

1,905 posts, read 1,043,766 times
What is the difference between the Ancestry.com results and 23 and me? Shouldn't they give the same results? By ancestry I am

72% Western Europe
12% Irish
8% Scandinavian
8% England

The Scandinavian part is what puzzles me. I have done genealogy research on both of sides of my family, gone back many generations, and found not one person who was Scandinavian. Not a trace of that as far as I can tell. Most of my family appears to be English and Scots-Irish but my DNA says otherwise.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:28 AM

615 posts, read 405,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
What is the difference between the Ancestry.com results and 23 and me? Shouldn't they give the same results? By ancestry I am

72% Western Europe
12% Irish
8% Scandinavian
8% England

The Scandinavian part is what puzzles me. I have done genealogy research on both of sides of my family, gone back many generations, and found not one person who was Scandinavian. Not a trace of that as far as I can tell. Most of my family appears to be English and Scots-Irish but my DNA says otherwise.
Scandinavian or Baltic, most people from Northern Europe, including the British Islands, have Scandinavian or Baltic DNA.
Have you done your Y-DNA test yet? it is more accurate, it will tell you where your family is from.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:41 AM

8,480 posts, read 13,196,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
What is the difference between the Ancestry.com results and 23 and me? Shouldn't they give the same results?
Not necessarily, no. The results are established by comparing your DNA to sample groups of modern people from those regions. All the results really mean is "8% of your DNA most closely matched our sample groups for Scandinavia during our analyses." Between having different sample groups, different analyses/algorithms, and putting on top of that the fact that there is no DNA which is totally unique to one small part of Europe, and there are bound to be variations. The ethnicity report from any company is only ever going to be an estimate on a sub-continental level. At a continental level, it is more reliable.

Quote:
By ancestry I am

72% Western Europe
12% Irish
8% Scandinavian
8% England

Scandinavian results are often just from the fact that the British and Western Europeans share a lot of DNA with the Scandinavians, because of the fact that the Vikings and Germanic tribes (who were already related to one another) both settled in Britain.

Take a look at the percentage range that Ancestry.com provide. If you click on the category, it will expand and show you a range, not just the final percentage they give you. What is the range? If it's as low as 0% then it means you may not actually have any ancestry in this region after all. The range shows you the lowest and highest percentage you had in that category during their 40 different analyses. The final percentage is just the average of all 40 analyses. This really illustrates how this is not a precise science and should not be taken literally.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:45 AM

8,480 posts, read 13,196,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriorsblewa3-1lead View Post
Yeah I took the 23andme test too. Very interesting results, however I somewhat expected some of the results, but it was nonetheless surprising.

My mom is African American, and my father is Puerto Rican, so I expected somewhat high percentages of European, African, and Native American ancestries.

The results were:

46.7% Sub-Saharan African
-41.9% West African
-1.8% Central and South African
-2.9% Broadly Sub-Saharan African

40.7% European
-24.7% Southern European
--11.1% Iberian
--0.1% Sardinian
--0.1% Balkan
--13.4% Broadly Southern European
-8.7% Northwestern European
--2.4% British and Irish
--6.3% Broadly Northwestern European
-0.1% Ashkenazi Jewish
-7.2% Broadly European

9.4% East Asian and Native American
-8.6% Native American
-0.2% Southeast Asian
-0.5% Broadly East Asian and Native American

1.7% Middle Eastern and North African
-1.0% North African
-0.7% Broadly Middle Eastern and North African

And the rest was 1.5% Unassigned

I understood that the Iberian population was from the Spanish influence in Puerto Rico, and I assumed that the Sardinian and Balkan ancestries are based off of the fact that they are in the same region of Europe as Spain.

The British and Irish influence can mean two things. It is most likely based off of the racial mixing between African American slaves and their white British slave owners. However, my mom's maiden name is Murphy, a traditionally Irish surname, suggesting that an Irish indentured servant could have possibly mixed with a black slave.

I have no idea where the Jewish ancestry comes from, but since other Hispanics have taken this test, and there has been Jewish ancestry found in their results as well, so I'm guessing that Spaniards may have mixed with Jews in Europe.

The Sub Saharan African ancestry is pretty self explanatory. This obviously comes from the Trans Atlantic Slave Trade to the Americas.

The Native American population most likely derives from the Taino populations of Puerto Rico, considering the fact that my grandfather had slanted eyes and brown skin. However, it could also be from some of the Native American tribes in the US

I have no idea where the Southeast Asian comes from. My best bet is that a Spaniard may have mixed with a native Filipino person, but that is purely a guess.

And lastly, I know that the North African ancestry comes from the fact that Moors ruled over Spain for hundreds of years.

I was very happy to find out my results, hopefully this post can help others to understand the process of discovering your ancestry
Anything under 1% is very possibly just noise - ie, like a false positive, so try not to analyze your trace amounts too much. Even something under about 5% could still be noise so take it with a grain of salt.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:25 PM

281 posts, read 574,184 times
Just got mine back:

3% West Africa (Senegal)

3% Native American

61% Western Europe

15% Irish

9% British

5% Iberian

2% European Jewish

1% Polynesian

And some trace stuff, I knew about the African and Native American as my mom was 6% of both so I basically just halved her, but the Polynesian was out of left field. We're trying to get my dad to take it and see if he has more. Anyway, kinda fun and interesting.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:19 PM

3,137 posts, read 1,714,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Anything under 1% is very possibly just noise - ie, like a false positive, so try not to analyze your trace amounts too much. Even something under about 5% could still be noise so take it with a grain of salt.
Are false positives common in DNA testing like this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy