U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 03:02 PM

451 posts, read 1,047,597 times

Advertisements

My ancestry: Taiwanese with also ancestry from 8-9 generations ago from Fujian Province, China in Southeastern China.

Here are my 23andMe Results:
YDNA: O-M159 (which currently is O2a2a1a1a)- see ISOGG 2017 Y-DNA Haplogroup O
MtDNA: M7c3b (but 23andMe uses an outdated nomer, it should really be M7c1c2 per PhyloTree.org | tree | M7

EAST ASIAN:
97.6% Chinese
2.0% Southeast Asian
0.1% Broadly East Asian & Native American
<0.1% Broadly East Asian
SOUTH ASIAN:
0.1% South Asian

My Ancestry DNA results are:
92% East Asian
8% Polynesian

I can also possibly share results from places like WeGene from uploading my 23andMe and Ancestry DNA raw data. WeGene givies more detailed breakdowns; and also my results from DNA Land from uploading 23andMe raw data, as well as the various GedMatch calculators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 03:04 PM

8,480 posts, read 13,196,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Are false positives common in DNA testing like this?
In the ethnicity report, with trace amounts, yes. You can pretty much dismiss any unusual category if it's under about 5%.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:31 PM

281 posts, read 574,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
In the ethnicity report, with trace amounts, yes. You can pretty much dismiss any unusual category if it's under about 5%.
What are you basing that on? It's not as if they're just picking random ethnic groups out of a hat to fill up the remain percents of a report. They are obviously based on something, but as with all the numbers, the actual percent may be more or less than what's reported.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle-Chest View Post
What are you basing that on?
I'm basing it on the fact that everything I've read supports it. Here's what Ancestry says about trace amounts:

"These are regions where you seem to have just a trace amount of genetic ethnicity there is only a small amount of evidence supporting the regions as part of your genetic ethnicity. Because both the estimated amount and the range of the estimate are small, it is possible that these regions appear by chance and are not actually part of your genetic ethnicity."

FamilyTreeDNA don't even report categories if you get less than 1% in them, because they are so likely to be a false positive.

Unless you have tested at multiple companies or used multiple admixtures and every one comes back with the same small amount in that one category, I would not assume it to be a legitimate part of your ancestry.

https://dna-explained.com/2016/02/10...g-a-conundrum/

"Small amounts of admixture, especially unexpected admixture, should be taken with a grain of salt."

Quote:
It's not as if they're just picking random ethnic groups out of a hat to fill up the remain percents of a report. They are obviously based on something, but as with all the numbers, the actual percent may be more or less than what's reported.
Yes, and the "less than what's reported" for an already small percentage reported means it could be as little as 0%, meaning you may very well have no ancestry in that category.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:45 PM

281 posts, read 574,184 times
Quote:
I'm basing it on the fact that everything I've read supports it.
OK, I agree with what you're saying here in regards to <1%, but 5% of something is very unlikely to be 100% inaccurate. I also agree that it's unwise to make assumptions based on one sample.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle-Chest View Post
OK, I agree with what you're saying here in regards to <1%, but 5% of something is very unlikely to be 100% inaccurate. I also agree that it's unwise to make assumptions based on one sample.
I said "under about 5%". There's no exact cut off line, but you can have 3-4% in a category which is not a part of your ancestry. The way AncestryDNA in particular reports their results, they provide a percentage range. The range represents the lowest and highest results you had in that category during their 40 different analyses, then the final percentage is an average of all the results. If the lowest of your range is 0% and the highest isn't above 15%, they class this as a "trace region" which means it may not be a part of your ancestry after all. Here's more info on it from them:

"Expanding the Trace Regions icon allows you to drill down into other regions of your genetic ethnicity. Trace Regions are regions where the estimated range includes zero and does not go above 15%, or where the predicted percentage is less than 4.5%. Since there is only a small amount of evidence that you have genetic ethnicity from these regions, it is possible that you may not have genetic ethnicity from them at all. Consider the same example below where a customer has an estimated 5% genetic ethnicity from the Ireland Region.
America 2%

Native American 2%
Europe 98%

Great Britain 78%
Europe West 12%
Trace Regions 8%
Ireland 5%
Range: 0%-14%
Europe East 2%
Italy/Greece 1%
EXAMPLE: A customer has an estimated 5% genetic ethnicity from the Ireland Region. This region is displayed as a "Trace" region because the range includes zero and is not greater than 15."

So in this example, someone has 5% in that category, but Ancestry are warning them it's possible they actually don't have any ancestry in that category at all.

Results under 1% should especially be taken with a large grain of salt, but even slightly larger percentages should still be suspect, particularly if it's in an unexpected category. If it's in a category you have a confirmed lineage from, that's different.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:10 PM

32 posts, read 55,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post

Then I had a big chunk "German and French" (those two groups don't even LOOK similar! Why are they in the same grouping?)
Many immigrants to America during the 17th-19th centuries originated from Western Germany (Baden, Palatinate, etc.), Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg and Eastern France (Alsace) which was all once part of the Frankish Kingdom. The Franks were a Germanic ethnic group and also the namesake influence of modern-day France.

This might explain the overlapping, IMO.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisciplesOfTheWatch View Post
Many immigrants to America during the 17th-19th centuries originated from Western Germany (Baden, Palatinate, etc.), Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg and Eastern France (Alsace) which was all once part of the Frankish Kingdom. The Franks were a Germanic ethnic group and also the namesake influence of modern-day France.

This might explain the overlapping, IMO.
It's not just that, it's also the fact that Germany and France share a border. Alsace-Lorraine in particular is an area on the border between the two countries which has swapped ownership several times, and where there is a great mixture of German speakers and French speakers. I know it may seem like the French and German are vastly different because French is a romance language, and German is Germanic, but anytime two countries border each other, you're going to have a lot of genetic mixing between them. Germany and France are always lumped together in these ethnicity reports, no matter what company you test with.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:32 AM

2,233 posts, read 1,445,859 times
Quote:
5% would definitely mean something for race I would think (not so much ethnicity). I took this test years ago when it was new and they told me 3% was the upper threshold for noise in the racial aspect of the test. I think they have since refined their analysis and now it might be even closer to 1%.

Old 03-08-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
5% would definitely mean something for race I would think (not so much ethnicity). I took this test years ago when it was new and they told me 3% was the upper threshold for noise in the racial aspect of the test. I think they have since refined their analysis and now it might be even closer to 1%.
On a continental level, yeah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy