U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-02-2018, 07:59 AM
 
1 posts, read 646 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Have you tried the Ancestry report from Xcode Life? I got a very interesting result. It is very detailed in its break-up for the global population
https://www.xcode.life/ancestry-dna-raw-data-analysis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-02-2018, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Cumberland
4,680 posts, read 7,812,811 times
Reputation: 2884
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewcarnage View Post
Have you tried the Ancestry report from Xcode Life? I got a very interesting result. It is very detailed in its break-up for the global population
https://www.xcode.life/ancestry-dna-raw-data-analysis
Care to share those results with us? How do they break down global populations? What did you find interesting about the result?

I ask because this site is asking for $40 to do with other sites do for free, take an existing raw DNA file and offer interpretations from it.


Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2018, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Ozark Mountains
615 posts, read 405,064 times
Reputation: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewcarnage View Post
Have you tried the Ancestry report from Xcode Life? I got a very interesting result. It is very detailed in its break-up for the global population
https://www.xcode.life/ancestry-dna-raw-data-analysis
Looks like Promethease, but more expensive...!
https://promethease.com/
I think Promethease is still at $10 bucks and can do more things for the same price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2018, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Colorado (PA at heart)
8,480 posts, read 13,193,570 times
Reputation: 10917
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
Looks like Promethease, but more expensive...!
https://promethease.com/
I think Promethease is still at $10 bucks and can do more things for the same price.
Promethease is primarily health related data - they do not provide an ethnicity report like XCode does, and as much as I love Promethease for the wealth of data they provide at very little cost, it's not always easy to understand - there's a learning curve. I imagine XCode packages the info so it's much easier to understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2018, 06:16 PM
 
4,038 posts, read 10,020,567 times
Reputation: 1839
71% British/Welsh
29% Scottish/Irish

So, 100% British Isles area.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2018, 12:31 PM
 
81 posts, read 35,140 times
Reputation: 58
I Still don't understand the point of these test. Like why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2018, 02:44 PM
 
1,936 posts, read 1,042,982 times
Reputation: 2254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeadviser View Post
I Still don't understand the point of these test. Like why?
Some people, like myself for example, are interested in seeing the breakdown of the regions their DNA shows they are made up of. One reason I wanted to buy a kit is to load it later on a site that will tell which diseases I am susceptible to getting. Some I know, most I don't. There are a couple of free sites I'll load them on first before considering paying for one.

I waited until AncestryDNA was on sale. I wasn't going to pay $99 plus shipping, and got lucky a couple weeks ago and caught their summer sale ($59) the day before it ended.

Last edited by OhioJB; 09-04-2018 at 03:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2018, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Colorado (PA at heart)
8,480 posts, read 13,193,570 times
Reputation: 10917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeadviser View Post
I Still don't understand the point of these test. Like why?
They can be useful for genealogical purposes. I have broken down a few brick walls in my family tree with the help of DNA matches. If you're not interested in genealogy, it would not be of much use, but the ethnicity report can be very interesting if you understand how it works and that appeals to a lot of people who want to know more about their ethnic background but don't want to put the hard work into researching their family tree. There's also the health side of it - you can get an idea of what you may be genetically predisposed to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2018, 10:19 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX via San Antonio, TX
5,873 posts, read 8,318,794 times
Reputation: 3143
47% Western European 13% Ireland/Scotland/Wales, 13% Europe East, 11% Scandinavian, 8% Great Britain, 3% Finland/Northwest Russia, 3% Europe Jewish, 2% Europe South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2018, 01:00 AM
 
81 posts, read 35,140 times
Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
Some people, like myself for example, are interested in seeing the breakdown of the regions their DNA shows they are made up of. One reason I wanted to buy a kit is to load it later on a site that will tell which diseases I am susceptible to getting. Some I know, most I don't. There are a couple of free sites I'll load them on first before considering paying for one.

I waited until AncestryDNA was on sale. I wasn't going to pay $99 plus shipping, and got lucky a couple weeks ago and caught their summer sale ($59) the day before it ended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
They can be useful for genealogical purposes. I have broken down a few brick walls in my family tree with the help of DNA matches. If you're not interested in genealogy, it would not be of much use, but the ethnicity report can be very interesting if you understand how it works and that appeals to a lot of people who want to know more about their ethnic background but don't want to put the hard work into researching their family tree. There's also the health side of it - you can get an idea of what you may be genetically predisposed to.
Well, What eludes me is that certain research suggest that we all are the same but at the same time these test's would say that we are different. I Don't know what to believe to be honest. Seems kinda janky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top