U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 05:03 PM

2,545 posts, read 2,911,201 times

Advertisements

I am interested in genealogy, despite the fact I am estranged from quite a bit of my family on my father's side. My parents were divorced when I was young and I did not even really have a relationship with my father as an adult or any of his family. Luckily for me, I was able to find my father's ancestors anyway, but for some it may not be the case for some others depending on their situation.

Just curious. Is this the case with any of you? Are you interested in genealogy despite some estrangement or abandonment in your family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 05:38 PM

8,825 posts, read 13,589,044 times
Not myself but my grandfather was estranged from his father so he knew very little about his father's family history. He didn't even know that his father had two sisters until I discovered it through genealogy research. At first, I wasn't sure if he wanted to know this stuff but he said he did and he seems to be enjoying each new discovery I tell him about.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:34 PM

6,415 posts, read 10,363,244 times
Actually, I think it's a lot more common. In my many years of doing genealogy, it seems like an awful lot of the genealogists I meet are people who never married, people who had no children, people without strong family connections. I think they get into doing genealogy in order to get those connections back.

Which is one of my greatest "discoveries" in the years of doing genealogy ... the knowledge that we're all so much more closely related than we think we are. I look at people now as relatives whose connection to me I just haven't found yet!

Old 01-15-2014, 05:29 AM
bjh

30,287 posts, read 23,714,311 times
Maybe genealogy could be a way for family members to reconnect. It probably has been.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:07 AM

394 posts, read 1,334,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Actually, I think it's a lot more common. In my many years of doing genealogy, it seems like an awful lot of the genealogists I meet are people who never married, people who had no children, people without strong family connections. I think they get into doing genealogy in order to get those connections back.
That makes perfect sense to me. I was adopted at birth and grew up without any knowledge of my birth family, but I was always interested in genealogy and spent a lot of time working on my adoptive father's ancestors. I guess there has always been a great need for me to find my roots, even when they weren't technically mine. That experience helped out immensely when I conducted my own birth search and found my birth family.

My birthmother's side (she and seven half-siblings) has been very receptive to me, but on my birthfather's side, only my youngest half-sister communicates with me. My birthfather was also very receptive (before he passed away in 2005), and we sent emails and letters but never met in person. Out of his four children, only my youngest half-sister communicates with me, but she had a different mother than his other three children and didn't grow up "in the family". I never knew my grandparents or my extended family, so I don't know any of the family stories, although I do have some of the genealogy.

There are details like the town my paternal grandfather was born in in Cuba that are unclear, and I haven't been able to find the record of his birth there...yet. Nor do I know the correct spelling of his mother's last name or whether she was born in Spain or Cuba. I certainly wish I could get those answers from my half-siblings, but I'll just have to muddle through on my own. I'll figure it out

Old 01-15-2014, 01:45 PM

22,539 posts, read 28,454,548 times
You don't have to want to be friends with your family to want to know where you came from.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:02 PM

17,087 posts, read 9,807,631 times
Quote:
I look at people now as relatives whose connection to me I just haven't found yet!
I have had the same thought. In some ways, genealogy has helped me become more compassionate and patient toward others. I see us all as so interconnected.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:41 PM

2,545 posts, read 2,911,201 times
Thanks, everyone, for sharing your thoughts so far, I appreciate the replies on a very personal level.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:41 PM

564 posts, read 386,341 times
Quote:
In my many years of doing genealogy, it seems like an awful lot of the genealogists I meet are people who never married, people who had no children, people without strong family connections. I think they get into doing genealogy in order to get those connections back.
EnricoV, you described me to a "T."

I started doing genealogy about 5 years ago after a series of deaths in my family, which led me to have an "existenial crisis." (Who am I? Why am I here?) I knew very little about my extended family because both of my parents had moved far away from the places of their birth. They rarely traveled home, so I grew up isolated from my extended family. My family basically consisted of 4 people: my parents, my sister, and me. I wanted to learn more about the rest of the family.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,027 times
Hello every1 ' I'm brand new here & am looking~hoping to find help to find
the father & 1/2 sister he had w/another
woman he was married to B4 he met ,
married my mom(passed away in 05')&
had me in 1973! He was 33 & my mom
was 19 @ the time. I'm looking 4 any &
all relatives from his side. I've never even been able to find a photo of him. (( I'm sincerely needing/looking 4 help
B4 it's too late as I am now soon 2 be 42yrs old in July! Please some1 help me!!!!!! I'll be anxiously waiting to hear from any1!!!! Sincerely, Kristen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or