Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 07:42 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
What is wrong with being European? Exotic women, foods, fashion, history, wines? Nothing Exotic about Africa.
There is only "nothing exotic" about Africa if you're African. Since the OP is obviously not African, then Africa would be exotic to him.

And again, this topic is from 2014, the OP hasn't even posted on CD in over a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 08:57 AM

82 posts, read 81,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrlvr View Post
I am not even talking about the health results....which is another discussion, but
things I guess are not what you always think they are...

I always thought my father was almost 100% (if not all) German descent...a little Eastern European did
show up....and mother about 100% Italian....but only a small amount of my dna was confidently attributed to being "Italic".....conservative, standard, even speculative views have me mostly as a non-specified
"Euromutt" ... I am basically all European (with perhaps 3% unspecified) ...nothing exotic--no African, Asian, etc... but no strong ethnic identity....now there are worse things LOL but I thought I would
have a more specific result....anyone else with similar results?
gtrlvr, my sister did her DNA (a cheap version of Ancestry's that she bought for $45 on Groupon). Her results came back showing that she was 95% mixed European and 5% African. I did my DNA through 23andme (paid $200), and my results were all broken down showing mainly NW European heritage, a little NE European, and .1% "other." I told my sister about this, so she paid for Ancestry's more expensive test and came back basically the same as mine. A third sibling did his, and his results also came back like ours. You are what you are. There is nothing to be disappointed about.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:14 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,035 times
I am curious, OP, why did you believe your parents ethnicity was German and Italian? Do they actually know?

Old 01-27-2017, 02:52 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,507,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
There is only "nothing exotic" about Africa if you're African. Since the OP is obviously not African, then Africa would be exotic to him.

And again, this topic is from 2014, the OP hasn't even posted on CD in over a year.
So. People posted before me in the same day, and before. Did you chastise them?

Old 01-27-2017, 07:47 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,349,149 times
Which DNA site seems to give the most specific results - any opinions?

Old 01-28-2017, 08:51 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
What I've heard, its 23 and Me.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
So. People posted before me in the same day, and before. Did you chastise them?
I wasn't "chastising" I was making you aware of the fact that the OP is unlikely to answer your question. No one else who posted that same day asked the OP a direct question. But actually, yes, I did respond to one other person to remind them the topic is from 2014 and the 23andMe health report wasn't available at that time. That's why I said "And again" when I pointed it out to you, because it was my second mention of it...

Old 01-28-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
23andMe have the most categories worldwide, but they also have these "broadly" categories they will use for portions of your DNA which they can't narrow down further. AncestryDNA is the only one which tries to divide Great Britain and Ireland.

23andMe:

French & German
British & Irish
Scandinavian
Finnish
Broadly Northwestern European
Italian
Iberian
Sardinian
Balkan
Broadly Southern European
Eastern European
Ashkenazi Jewish
Broadly European
Broadly South Asian
Japanese
Korean
Yakut
Mongolian
Chinese
Broadly East Asian
Southeast Asian
Native American
Broadly East Asian & Native American
West African
East African
Central & South African
Broadly Sub-Saharan African
North African
Middle Eastern
Broadly Middle Eastern & North African
Oceanian
Broadly Oceanian
Unassigned

AncestryDNA:

Africa North
Benin/Togo
Ivory Coast/Ghana
Africa South-Central Hunter-Gatherers
Africa Southeastern Bantu
Senegal
Nigeria
Mali
Cameroon/Congo
Native American
Asia South
Asia East
Asia Central
Europe
Great Britain
Italy/Greece
Europe West
Scandinavia
Finland/Northwest Russia
Ireland
Europe East
Iberian Peninsula
European Jewish
Pacific Islander
Polynesia
Melanesia
Caucasus
Middle East

FTDNA:

Western and Central Europe
East Central Africa
Eastern Europe
Native American
North Africa
Northeast Asia
Central Asia
Southern Europe
West Africa
British Isles
Finland and Northern Siberia
Scandinavia
Asia Minor
Ashkenazi Diaspora
South-Central Africa
Southeast Asia
South Asia
Eastern Middle East

Old 01-28-2017, 10:59 AM

10,072 posts, read 14,952,774 times
I will never understand this notion of being 'disappointed' of who you are. You know, no one gets to pick what they are, its simply handed to you. Simply accept it, learn to love yourself, and move on.

This just reeks as self-hate. I know there is a double standard with that word (if you are white and don't like it, then its fine to feel that way; but, if you are non-white and don't like it, then you are self-hating). To me, any person that feels 'disappointed' of what they are has major issues to deal with. You could deal with that from a cosmetic point of view (think plastic surgery), but genetically you are what you are and there is no way around that.

The people that came before you in your genetic family tree went through so much, just so you could one day exist; and you thank them by feeling 'disappointed' that they are responsible for the chance of you having ever been born?

That is simply messed up in so many levels that its not even funny.

Last edited by AntonioR; 01-28-2017 at 11:33 AM..

Old 01-28-2017, 04:40 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
He could've been a convert to Judaism?
Don't think so because because of persecution of Jews at the time he didn't want anyone to know apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy