U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 09:27 AM

28 posts, read 43,260 times

Advertisements

I am not even talking about the health results....which is another discussion, but
things I guess are not what you always think they are...

I always thought my father was almost 100% (if not all) German descent...a little Eastern European did
show up....and mother about 100% Italian....but only a small amount of my dna was confidently attributed to being "Italic".....conservative, standard, even speculative views have me mostly as a non-specified
"Euromutt" ... I am basically all European (with perhaps 3% unspecified) ...nothing exotic--no African, Asian, etc... but no strong ethnic identity....now there are worse things LOL but I thought I would
have a more specific result....anyone else with similar results?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 09:34 AM

2,316 posts, read 1,903,095 times
Hmmm I debating whether to do this test.

I can trace my family back 4 or 5 generations to the Netherlands, mainly Freisia(?) or Freisland, whatever. That was through some documents I found online.

So you were hoping to find a stronger ethnic identity?

My great-grandfather gave me the common spiel about someone inour family being Cherokee. Would something like that even show up?

Based on when my family supposedly moved here (both side from Holland) I don't see how that was possible. It would be recent enough to be common family knowledge.

They don't do the health part any more, do they?

Interesting thread.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:03 PM

21,478 posts, read 26,078,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrlvr View Post
I am not even talking about the health results....which is another discussion, but

I always thought my father was almost 100% (if not all) German descent...a little Eastern European did
show up....and mother about 100% Italian....but only a small amount of my dna was confidently attributed to being "Italic".....conservative, standard, even speculative views have me mostly as a non-specified
"Euromutt" ... I am basically all European (with perhaps 3% unspecified) ...nothing exotic--no African, Asian, etc... but no strong ethnic identity....now there are worse things LOL but I thought I would
Why are you disappointed? DNA cannot tell you that an ancestor lived in a specific country. All it tells you is the general geographic area. For 23AndMe, that area is where your ancestors lived about 500 years ago, before travel became easier and populations that had been isolated began mixing together.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:37 PM

Suzy,
I understand what you are saying--but most of my results didn't narrow to geographic area, but were
just general or undefined European which is a huge land area! I am not blaming 23andme, by the way..
I guess I blame my genome!

Old 01-20-2014, 01:46 PM

I also forgot to add also because my parents were so phenotypically, linguistically, culturally (in many ways) of only one particular ethnic group...including tracing ancestry to those two countries...
so a little surprised, but is all in fun anyway...

Old 01-20-2014, 02:54 PM

4,771 posts, read 7,490,512 times
Its quite possible that most of your "undefined European" DNA is really mostly German and Italian, but since its indistinguishable from most other places 23andme placed it in the undefined category.

Maybe one day 23andme will be able to get more detailed, but for now the technology is what it is.

Also, keep in mind that each category has different confidence levels (I think conservative is at 90%, standard at 75%, and speculative at 50%). Basically, standard and speculative modes still have a relatively large error margin. Don't sweat it and with time your results will be refined along with everyone else's.

I did my test in 2011 and since then, as 23andme implemented new technology to interpret the data, my genealogical composition has changed a few times. Its not much of a difference, but its enough for me to notice and even change my mind about certain things.

Other 23andme tools you should look into is the Ancestry Finder and also the Genetic Similarity Map. In Ancestry Finder you will be able to get an idea where a good deal of your DNA comes from based on the nationality of most of the people that are genetically related to you. The Genetic Similarity Map can also help.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:25 PM
bjh

26,041 posts, read 22,775,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Hmmm I debating whether to do this test.

I can trace my family back 4 or 5 generations to the Netherlands, mainly Freisia(?) or Freisland, whatever. That was through some documents I found online.

So you were hoping to find a stronger ethnic identity?

My great-grandfather gave me the common spiel about someone inour family being Cherokee. Would something like that even show up?

Based on when my family supposedly moved here (both side from Holland) I don't see how that was possible. It would be recent enough to be common family knowledge.

They don't do the health part any more, do they?

Interesting thread.
I wouldn't base the decision on someone else's results.

If you do have any Native American, it would show up.

Many find they don't have the legendary 1/8 or whatever. Many have none at all.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:26 PM
bjh

26,041 posts, read 22,775,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Its quite possible that most of your "undefined European" DNA is really mostly German and Italian, but since its indistinguishable from most other places 23andme placed it in the undefined category.

Maybe one day 23andme will be able to get more detailed, but for now the technology is what it is.

Also, keep in mind that each category has different confidence levels (I think conservative is at 90%, standard at 75%, and speculative at 50%). Basically, standard and speculative modes still have a relatively large error margin. Don't sweat it and with time your results will be refined along with everyone else's.

I did my test in 2011 and since then, as 23andme implemented new technology to interpret the data, my genealogical composition has changed a few times. Its not much of a difference, but its enough for me to notice and even change my mind about certain things.

Other 23andme tools you should look into is the Ancestry Finder and also the Genetic Similarity Map. In Ancestry Finder you will be able to get an idea where a good deal of your DNA comes from based on the nationality of most of the people that are genetically related to you. The Genetic Similarity Map can also help.
Yeah, the ancestry tools can really help. Play around onthe site and see what you can. DNA relatives may have similar information that verifies yours, for instance.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:28 PM

2,242 posts, read 2,533,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrlvr View Post

DNA and genetics test, are testing SPECIFICALLY for geographical ancestry and geographical populations and patterns and frequencies. It is not testing for race. No such thing as race.

Part of the problem with DNA tests is that it only shows half of your ancestry. Each parent contributes half of their ancestral material and the other half is lost. And the contributions are not the same for each child. So DNA tests do not show all of your ancestors, just the ones that made it into your body.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:37 PM

6,878 posts, read 17,809,927 times
My husband is a geneticist and he thinks 23andme is the biggest ripoff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy