Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 02:40 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I am 27% Benin/Togo, 18% Nigeria, 11% Mali, 10% African Southeastern Bantu, 10% Cameroon, 4% Senegel, and 1% from Ghana, about 1% Indian/Pakistani, 6% British, 3% Eastern European, 3% Spanish, 2% Western European, 2% Northern Russian, 1% Italian, 1% Scandinavian, and 1% Irish.
Very cool, NYWriterdude! It's impressive that Ancestry can be so specific with DNA from areas in Africa. I'm still waiting for my results from Ancestry, but from what I've been reading here and elsewhere the results should be more detailed than my 23andme results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 03:03 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Very cool, NYWriterdude! It's impressive that Ancestry can be so specific with DNA from areas in Africa. I'm still waiting for my results from Ancestry, but from what I've been reading here and elsewhere the results should be more detailed than my 23andme results.
And, will you be as disappointed in your muttness as other people are? What are you hoping for, some Noble savage DNA or some African DNA? Anything but the dreaded white european DNA. Those bastards polluted the entire world.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:47 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times
Wowza, that was silly! I just want to know how much French and German I have, which 23andme now doesn't differentiate between.

Doing DNA for genealogical purposes is just fun, not to prove anything in particular. Any genealogist knows that ALL humans are mutts.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Wowza, that was silly! I just want to know how much French and German I have, which 23andme now doesn't differentiate between.

Doing DNA for genealogical purposes is just fun, not to prove anything in particular. Any genealogist knows that ALL humans are mutts.
Well thankfully your are ok with your ancestery. That's always good. I knew my acnestors were mutts as well and I too would like to see what percentages. Here's the thing...the day before I get my results I'm still aplcr0331 married with three boys, decent job and a humble house who enjoys life at a pretty good clip. After the results? The same.

Knowing won't change much, I get the feeling there are a lot of people who are really hoping for some deeper meaning to their life based on who they might be related to.

Reminds me of the people who always tell you about the famous people that they are related to. My reply is that all my relatives were poor serfs who never amounted to anything other than coming to this country at the turn of the 20th century to work on the Pacific Northwest railroads.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:43 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,303,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
Well thankfully your are ok with your ancestery. That's always good. I knew my acnestors were mutts as well and I too would like to see what percentages. Here's the thing...the day before I get my results I'm still aplcr0331 married with three boys, decent job and a humble house who enjoys life at a pretty good clip. After the results? The same.

Knowing won't change much, I get the feeling there are a lot of people who are really hoping for some deeper meaning to their life based on who they might be related to.

Reminds me of the people who always tell you about the famous people that they are related to. My reply is that all my relatives were poor serfs who never amounted to anything other than coming to this country at the turn of the 20th century to work on the Pacific Northwest railroads.
On one side I completely agree with you. "Royal" ancestry is a good example of this, I've found many of my ancestry tied into "royal" lines... every single one of them I've found is either completely wrong (some times major mistakes) or only a *possible* connection (often mapping that immigrant ancestor to the families they came from is very difficult, especially back in the 1600-1700s). Yet despite this I see people who latch on to that data and will even defend it in the face of evidence that suggests otherwise.

I agree it's people looking for deeper meaning and thinking your related to X or Y person of note is interesting. Though I think part of it is just that we have more information about those notable people, so if you can conclude they are an ancestor then you get a wealth of info about them. I have found this to lesser degrees in ancestors that were notable but not famous, who left enough of an impact to be mentioned in newspaper articles or local histories. It gives you a greater insight to those that came before you.

On the flip side I think mapping your ethnic DNA to ancestors that most likely came from certain areas at a certain time can be very useful. Your not mapping to X famous person, but an entire culture. If true then you are here in part because of that person and that culture and the actions that ancestor made due to it.

We are literally a sum of our ancestors and we exist because they did what they did and came from where they come.

Any ethnic ancestry is interesting in it's own way, it's the story of people, one in which the current chapter is you.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:05 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I had my test done on ancestry.com

I am 27% Benin/Togo, 18% Nigeria, 11% Mali, 10% African Southeastern Bantu, 10% Cameroon, 4% Senegel, and 1% from Ghana, about 1% Indian/Pakistani, 6% British, 3% Eastern European, 3% Spanish, 2% Western European, 2% Northern Russian, 1% Italian, 1% Scandinavian, and 1% Irish.
I would love to have my DNA testing done to narrow down my origins. But unfortunately my household budget can't allow for that kind of expense at this time.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:32 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,533,757 times
The thing that getting into geneology and DNA has taught me the most is that people are attention whores. It's all about them. Just look on the 23andme forums and every thread turns into someone other than the original poster telling everyone what their Ancestry Composition is or what vikings they descend from or some other bs. It's hilarious. I don't even like to help people on there anymore because they freak out if you hint at the possibility that just maybe they are a Scottish highlander the last of the Mohicans after all.

Instead of actually wanting to learn most just want to prove to themselves and others that they aren't as boring as they look.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
On one side I completely agree with you. "Royal" ancestry is a good example of this, I've found many of my ancestry tied into "royal" lines... every single one of them I've found is either completely wrong (some times major mistakes) or only a *possible* connection (often mapping that immigrant ancestor to the families they came from is very difficult, especially back in the 1600-1700s). Yet despite this I see people who latch on to that data and will even defend it in the face of evidence that suggests otherwise.

I agree it's people looking for deeper meaning and thinking your related to X or Y person of note is interesting. Though I think part of it is just that we have more information about those notable people, so if you can conclude they are an ancestor then you get a wealth of info about them. I have found this to lesser degrees in ancestors that were notable but not famous, who left enough of an impact to be mentioned in newspaper articles or local histories. It gives you a greater insight to those that came before you.

On the flip side I think mapping your ethnic DNA to ancestors that most likely came from certain areas at a certain time can be very useful. Your not mapping to X famous person, but an entire culture. If true then you are here in part because of that person and that culture and the actions that ancestor made due to it.

We are literally a sum of our ancestors and we exist because they did what they did and came from where they come.

Any ethnic ancestry is interesting in it's own way, it's the story of people, one in which the current chapter is you.
On the "I have Royalty in my genes" note. I like to ask those people if they know how they used to keep the bloodlines "royal" back in the day? I'll take "What is Incest" for $500 Alex.

I find history very satisfying and think everyone should know their own family history. I just am too pessimistic I guess. I'm just some ******* going to work, coming home, watching some TV, playing with my kids, writing stupid **** on the internet, etc. Boring. I assume the same about my ancestors. Some people contribute nothing to society other than to live here for a brief moment and maybe make some kids so that particular blood line keeps going. What happens when we're related to them? The regular people that make up the majority of the population?

Everyone's story has to be special. Important. Relevant.

I know better.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:46 AM

915 posts, read 2,129,032 times
I don't look at this from a pessimistic perspective, and I think very, very few people are actually boring, even if their lives are uneventful. Just the fact of actually being born is a miracle, and there is a great sweep of history, a connection to great events, and great heroism, suffering, poetry, that everyone feels a connection to. There's nothing wrong with a bit of imagination, as long as you're not actually delusional.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:26 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,303,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
I don't look at this from a pessimistic perspective, and I think very, very few people are actually boring, even if their lives are uneventful. Just the fact of actually being born is a miracle, and there is a great sweep of history, a connection to great events, and great heroism, suffering, poetry, that everyone feels a connection to. There's nothing wrong with a bit of imagination, as long as you're not actually delusional.
Well said. Every story is interesting in it's own different way. Even if someone is of 100% European decent, Europe has a wealth of interesting history involving a multitude of groups, tracing back to those can be very rewarding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy