U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 08:35 PM

15,423 posts, read 14,637,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Yes, Native Americans are essentially of Asian descent.
So a fraction of Asian could mean native American?

Briefly, I came up with a tiny fraction of Asian and I have colonial New England ancestors and, of course, the family story of "Indian blood." But someone said that if you only have your autosomal DNA (I do not have a living male relative) you will only get your mother's maternal side and your father's paternal side.

If that's true, then that would mean that the Native American blood is on my mother's mother's, etc. line?

The Native American blood story comes from my mother's FATHER'S side and I just received an email from a distant cousin on that side telling me that she was always told this too. She cites an old book written by a relative who remembered something about the family members who were certain of it. But that's my mother's PATERNAL side. Is it true that I don't have the information from my mother's paternal side? Only her material side?

Old 02-09-2014, 09:21 PM
bjh
Status: "Got a lot of procrastinating to get around to." (set 1 day ago)

23,536 posts, read 21,217,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
So a fraction of Asian could mean native American?

Briefly, I came up with a tiny fraction of Asian and I have colonial New England ancestors and, of course, the family story of "Indian blood." But someone said that if you only have your autosomal DNA (I do not have a living male relative) you will only get your mother's maternal side and your father's paternal side.

If that's true, then that would mean that the Native American blood is on my mother's mother's, etc. line?

The Native American blood story comes from my mother's FATHER'S side and I just received an email from a distant cousin on that side telling me that she was always told this too. She cites an old book written by a relative who remembered something about the family members who were certain of it. But that's my mother's PATERNAL side. Is it true that I don't have the information from my mother's paternal side? Only her material side?
With the autosomal you will get both sides in their totality regardless of whether ancestors at random points in the family tree are male or female.

The strictly maternal side testing only has to do with mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) you get from your mom.

The strictly paternal side testing only to do with the Y-chromosome on the 23rd pair for males that does indicate the paternal lineage of a female matched with her dad or another male relative, if he has the same paternal lineage.

My usual metaphor is it's like an old-fashioned hand held fan. Dad's Y chromosome only indicates the very left edge of the open fan. Mom's mtDNA only indicates the very right edge of the fan. Autosomal DNA indicates all the rest of the middle of the fan, all mixed up, no matter the gender of the ancestors in question.

For those females without a suitable male relative it can still be of great value to have a maternal relative do a test. If your mother is living, then by all means . . .

On 23 and Me you can compare your DNA with hers and determine which side of the family you match on her side, not dad's. I've been surprised by a few matches I thought would be on mom's, not on dad's and vice versa. For instance, some of my mom's Scots are matching with people who list solely Irish ancestry. It's been educational.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 09:33 PM

15,423 posts, read 14,637,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
With the autosomal you will get both sides in their totality regardless of whether ancestors at random points in the family tree are male or female.

The strictly maternal side testing only has to do with mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) you get from your mom.

The strictly paternal side testing only to do with the Y-chromosome on the 23rd pair for males that does indicate the paternal lineage of a female matched with her dad or another male relative, if he has the same paternal lineage.

My usual metaphor is it's like an old-fashioned hand held fan. Dad's Y chromosome only indicates the very left edge of the open fan. Mom's mtDNA only indicates the very right edge of the fan. Autosomal DNA indicates all the rest of the middle of the fan, all mixed up, no matter the gender of the ancestors in question.

For those females without a suitable male relative it can still be of great value to have a maternal relative do a test. If your mother is living, then by all means . . .

On 23 and Me you can compare your DNA with hers and determine which side of the family you match on her side, not dad's. I've been surprised by a few matches I thought would be on mom's, not on dad's and vice versa. For instance, some of my mom's Scots are matching with people who list solely Irish ancestry. It's been educational.
Thank you very much. That's what I used to think before I read something else that had it another way. I am glad that it includes both sides of my maternal line--then the Native American story really could be true, way way way way back.

My parents are both deceased so I have no one to compare myself to. This is a little creepy, but in the old days they saved people's hair and going though my mother's things, I found an envelope of her hair. I wonder if the DNA can be tested from old hair. Probably not with 23andMe.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:04 AM

7,621 posts, read 11,591,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Thank you very much. That's what I used to think before I read something else that had it another way. I am glad that it includes both sides of my maternal line--then the Native American story really could be true, way way way way back.

My parents are both deceased so I have no one to compare myself to. This is a little creepy, but in the old days they saved people's hair and going though my mother's things, I found an envelope of her hair. I wonder if the DNA can be tested from old hair. Probably not with 23andMe.
Probably not with any of the companies which send out spit/swab kits, they probably don't do hair testing. I am not positive about this but with hair, they might only be able to test for DNA from hair which has been pulled out, not cut, and contains the root of the hair. I could be wrong but I thought I saw something about that.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:57 AM

262 posts, read 345,419 times
Inheritance is random, even between siblings. Having one grandparent who is Native American per say, does not mean you will inherit 25% of that grandparent's autosomal, but you will inherit something from all 4 grandparents.

I agree, do the genealogy. 0.2 of any ancestry is such a small amount it falls into the "statistical noise range." There are many groups that show trace amounts under 1% from other groups. Typically anything under 1% has a high possibility of being noise. Though small %'s are not always errors but if you have no evidence of this in your ancestry.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:02 PM

1 posts, read 52 times
I have my dna results and it said I have 3.4% central american, 1.4 west asian and .09 Eskimo/ Inuit. Howbfar back do I go back to determine what grandparent it was.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:48 PM

7,621 posts, read 11,591,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Ida View Post
I have my dna results and it said I have 3.4% central american, 1.4 west asian and .09 Eskimo/ Inuit. Howbfar back do I go back to determine what grandparent it was.
There is no way to know that since ethnicity results are only an estimate, plus you don't necessary inherit the exact same amount from each ancestor. If everything was exact, you'd inherit 3.125% from each 3rd great grandparent. But since it's not, it could be from a more recent, or more distant ancestor than that. It could also be from more than one ancestor further back too.

Additionally, 1.4% and 0.09% could very well just be noise, like a false positive.

Old Today, 11:14 PM

282 posts, read 131,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
Hello, I was born in the early 90s and I am 0.2 percent Native American....the rest is European and Ashkenazi.How many years or generations ago was my full-blood Native American ancestor?
0.2% is probably "noise"
could be euro-asian since most of your ancestors are europeans. People from Russia are euro-asians
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy