Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 01:45 AM

3,021 posts, read 5,815,534 times

Advertisements

Google Books has this 1917 publication.
Reports of the Missionary and Benevolent Boards and Committees to the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church

By Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A

There is a page on The Sheldon Jackson School in Sitka, Alaska.

Perhaps Jennie worked at this school?

Dr. Sheldon Jackson was a Presbyterian missionary.

This article says that the school's archives have been turned over to the State of Alaska.
Sheldon Jackson archives given to state | Juneau Empire - Alaska's Capital City Online Newspaper

Perhaps they contain some records of people that worked there?

Last edited by daliowa; 02-25-2014 at 01:45 AM.. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 07:43 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,241,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
Google Books has this 1917 publication.
Reports of the Missionary and Benevolent Boards and Committees to the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church

By Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A

There is a page on The Sheldon Jackson School in Sitka, Alaska.

Perhaps Jennie worked at this school?

Dr. Sheldon Jackson was a Presbyterian missionary.

This article says that the school's archives have been turned over to the State of Alaska.
Sheldon Jackson archives given to state | Juneau Empire - Alaska's Capital City Online Newspaper

Perhaps they contain some records of people that worked there?
Thank you -- I did some quick scanning for information on the Alaska missions and the Student Volunteer Movement yesterday. I appreciate y'all's help! Between work and the fact that I've been frantically juggling unexpected multiple offers on my house (yay me!), I wasn't able to do much on this yesterday. But it was a great day, essentially selling my house and finding Jennie all in one!

Old 02-25-2014, 10:02 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,794,441 times
If you end up doing a bio on Jennie, it looks like you'll already have a bunch of readers lined up!

Old 02-25-2014, 11:38 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,241,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
If you end up doing a bio on Jennie, it looks like you'll already have a bunch of readers lined up!
LOL, too true! And while this started out as a total side trip from my main purpose, I've enjoyed the journey, too!

Old 08-16-2014, 11:14 AM

3 posts, read 3,266 times
Is this thread still active? I *am* a family member, so I've got interest! Jennie was my great aunt.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,265 times
Default John Newton Wright, Rev. John Veech Wright, etc.

I have a book of family history of the Evans and it talks about John Veech Wright, born March 12, 1889, son of Dr. John Newton Wright and Susan O'Shanna Wright. Born in Teheran, Persia, was this John Veech Wright. I'm interested in the article being written about John N. Wright. Thanks for any further info on these folks that are apparently relatives of my mother.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:31 PM

Actually that is an error: my grandfather was born in Buckskin Township, Ross County, Ohio. The record is available via ancestry.com. The record shows his mother's name in error: she was my Assyrian great-grandmother, Shushan Oshana Wright (listed as "Mary Susan Osterman"). I have the Evans book also!

Old 01-06-2016, 03:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,265 times
Default Walter C. McCrory and Mildred McCrory

Wow--wild stuff going on in the lives of these missionaries. My grandfather was Walter C. McCrory, born Sept. 5, 1897, and the brother of Mildred McCrory. His daughter, my mother Esther McCrory, spoke of her missionary relatives, and her Aunt Mildred, but nothing about any brutal murder. So Mildred (my "great aunt"?) married John Veech Wright, your grandfather? And his mother was murdered in Persia? But he was not born in Persia. And his father, John Newton Wright had a couple or three marriages. But did Mildred and John V. Wright have only the 2 children mentioned in the Evans book: John Newton Wright and Dorothy Elaine Wright (adopted)? And are you one of the children of John Newton Wright and Marion Lorene Terrill, perhaps the one born 10/15/53? I tell you, maybe trying to track all this is better mental exercise than doing crossword puzzles!

Old 11-13-2017, 10:58 PM

Default Walter C. McCrory and Mildred McCrory

Guess I haven't checked in on this thread in a while. Yes, that's me, born in 1953. My father, the second (that I know of...) of the John N. Wrights, was born in China in 1924 while John V and Mildred were there on a mission for the Presbyterian church. He was the only surviving biological child of John V and Mildred; they also had a stillborn child later. They adopted Dorothy Elaine (my "Aunt Elaine") and Eugene (can't remember his middle name -- never met him) later.

I've been quite fascinated to learn about my murdered great-grandmother, Shushan Oshana. What I really wonder is just who came up with the family lore than turned out to be a bunch of BS. There aren't that many who could've done it. Wish I could ask my grandmother, your great-aunt Mildred -- such a sweet lady, by the way. I've also worked on figuring out what became of Shushan's brother Theodore, and his family. He made it to the US in 1895, I think it was, and was later joined by his wife and son. They settled in California and had a daughter there (Susan Mary Oshana -- likely named after Shushan) in 1908. The son, Jon, was married at least 3 times, and was a well-known commercial artist in the Bay area, but I've not found any evidence that he had any children. He died in 1980, I think it was. Some of the murals he painted are still around -- see a bar called Zam Zam on Haight St in SFO. He changed the spelling of his last name to Oshanna. Susan went to high school in Santa Barbara, moved to the bay area, and ended up marrying some scam artist / fight promoter guy named Norman Richardson. The last I can track her (prior to her death in 1994, in Saratoga Springs, NY) is via the 1940 census. She and her con man husband were in Milwaukee -- she doing commercial art work and living in a hotel, he in JAIL. After that and up until 1994 is a mystery at this point. I haven't been able to find an obituary. Also, I called the court in Saratoga County and they had no record of any will or probate or anything like that. Darn... Now I'm waiting for the 1950 census, I guess. I haven't found an obit for Jon either.

Another story that is difficult to unravel is what became of Shushan's parents. From what I've learned, they were murdered at the age of 90 (?) in the genocide of 1915 when it was pretty much open season on Christians, in the area of Urmia, Persia. It would've been either the Kurds or the Turks who killed them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy