Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 12:57 PM

60 posts, read 132,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You answered your own question, I dont have 500 dollars to throw away on something that isnt going to improve my life.

And what exactly is wrong with the generic "black or african label" and why do i need to be freed from it ???
Well as CaribDoll pointed out, there are different companies. Also, you don't need to necessarily have the maternal and paternal samples analyzed at the same time. You could save $250 over a six month or year period (if you are strapped for cash) and use the money to only have your maternal genetic test conducted. The following year or two, you could request and pay for the paternal testing kit.

Shop around for the best pricing and company that works well for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
So basically you are racebaiting, ok i will bite

will unlocking my ethnic origin work the same way as unlocking a power in "inJustice"or X Men Origins, will i be able to run fast and jump higher or something ?
Nope, I'm not race baiting, I was just pointing out that people find the cash to fund their "priorities."

Old 02-16-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
You answered your own question, I dont have 500 dollars to throw away on something that isnt going to improve my life.

And what exactly is wrong with the generic "black or african label" and why do i need to be freed from it ???
Carry on as you wish. Some simply don't see the utility...while others do.

Last edited by Lena2345; 02-16-2014 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: correction...

Old 02-16-2014, 01:00 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena2345 View Post
Well as CaribDoll pointed out, there are different companies. Also, you don't need to necessarily have the maternal and paternal samples analyzed at the same time. You could save $250 over a six month or year period (if you are strapped for cash) and use the money to only have your maternal genetic test conducted. The following year or two, you could request and pay for the paternal testing kit.

Shop around for the best pricing and company that works well for you.
That was not the point of my comment. I have 500 dollars, however ,knowing which ethnicity of African i am will not improve my life in the least bit, so it would be a waste to spend it on this.

Your comments have made it sound like this is something black people need to do, i asked you why you believed this.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:01 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
Quote:
I'm curious as to why more African Americans are not taking advantage of the DNA testing? The testing is under $500. Imagine what you could do with such knowledge, once you've uncovered your actual ancestral identity.
For the same reason that more white Americans don't get DNA testing, don't visit the "olde country", and (apart from kids of recent immigrants) don't learn the dances and languages of their ancestors.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
That was not the point of my comment. I have 500 dollars, however ,knowing which ethnicity of African i am will not improve my life in the least bit, so it would be a waste to spend it on this.

Your comments have made it sound like this is something black people need to do, i asked you why you believed this.
I think it's important, because many people of African ancestry in the U.S. suffer from an identity crisis. I can't speak for others, but I've never liked the generic "black" label. What does black denote? It tells me nothing about my culture and identity. If anything, "black" in the dictionary is used to describe everything evil, while "white" is used to describe everything pure and good.

My non African American friends can talk about their family's origin, culture and language, but I can only speak English and have no extensive knowledge of my ancestors. I imagine it would be great to unlock that history, travel to the region of my ancestors and learn about their traditions, cultures, language and customs.

Last edited by Lena2345; 02-16-2014 at 01:28 PM..

Old 02-16-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Nope, I'm not race baiting, I was just pointing out that people find the cash to fund their "priorities."
clothes and shoes can be used, knowing my ethnicity can not.

Quote:
Carry on as you wish. Some simply don't see the futility...while others do.
futility,LOL futility means "pointlessness"

So you literally just said, some dont see that it is pointless, while others do see that it is pointless.

I think you meant fruitility (which isnt a word)

But again, you still missed the point, how does knowing what tribe i came from improve my life

Old 02-16-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
For the same reason that more white Americans don't get DNA testing, don't visit the "olde country", and (apart from kids of recent immigrants) don't learn the dances and languages of their ancestors.
Most European Americans know about their ancestry. Often they will say, I'm a mixture of English, Dutch and Scottish.

At the end of the day, it's up to the individual. I see the usefulness, but obviously some may not care to know.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I think it's important, because many people of African ancestry in the U.S. suffer from an identity crisis. I can't speak for others, but I've never liked the genetic label of "black." What does black denote? It tells me nothing about my culture and identity. If anything, "black" in the dictionary is used to describe everything evil, while "white" is used to describe everything pure and good.

My non African American friends can talk about their family's origin, culture and language, but I can only speak English and have no extensive knowledge of my ancestors. I imagine it would be great to unlock that history, travel to the region of my ancestors and learn about their traditions, cultures, language and customs.
I hate to break it to you, but the majority of people in this country can only speak one language and they dont know their ancestry to the point you are claiming either. Your friends are the exception, not the rule.

But hey, if you want to spend that much money to fit in, thats your money and your choice.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
clothes and shoes can be used, knowing my ethnicity can not.

futility,LOL futility means "pointlessness"

So you literally just said, some dont see that it is pointless, while others do see that it is pointless.

I think you meant fruitility (which isnt a word)

But again, you still missed the point, how does knowing what tribe i came from improve my life
No, I meant utility. Which means usefulness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy