U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 11:25 AM

269 posts, read 426,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seethurya View Post
Clo
Something around 51/49 split I believe. Most Africans results I've seen have around 98-99% Sub Saharan African DNA with a 1-2% European DNA.
I've seen loads of results from African Americans from 23andMe, testing over 90% is an exception. Most on average test between 80-85% SSA, 20-25% European and East Asian/Native American tends to be under 1% to 2%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 12:19 PM

21,492 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianGumbo View Post
I've seen loads of results from African Americans from 23andMe, testing over 90% is an exception. Most on average test between 80-85% SSA, 20-25% European and East Asian/Native American tends to be under 1% to 2%.

I think the poster to whom you responded meant modern Africans, not African Americans.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:22 PM

5,368 posts, read 4,867,724 times
Cool results. Thank you for sharing!

Old 03-06-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I think the poster to whom you responded meant modern Africans, not African Americans.
Thanks. Misunderstood.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:37 PM

334 posts, read 337,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethurya View Post
One of those rare afram 23andme results!

Always wondered what was my exact ancestry. I look black with noticeable European ancestry. Finally got the results and it matches up with what I thought.

People be acting so brand new about mixed ancestry. USA has always had lots of race mixing. African Americans are a mostly mixed race ethnic grouping of people. Your DNA genetic test results are NOT RARE at all. This is common in the USA. And again, this is not rare at all among traditional African American ethnic populations.

Also keep in mind that race personal identities are socially constructed, not scientific or biological.

You very well could choose to identify as WHITE if you wanted too. Most people that identify as white are mixed in varying degrees with other races, and most people that identify as black are mixed with other races in varying degrees.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:54 AM

4,775 posts, read 7,493,323 times
Actually, there are studies that show that a typical African American genetic make up is 70-80% African.

For that reason I wouldn't say Seethurya is a typical African American genetic make up, although s/he is a typical mulatto make up. The average African American is much more African and significantly less European than that.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:10 PM

39 posts, read 112,114 times
Very interesting results, i've seen a good fair share of aframs with a lot of substatial european admixture on 23andme.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:13 PM

39 posts, read 112,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Actually, there are studies that show that a typical African American genetic make up is 70-80% African.

For that reason I wouldn't say Seethurya is a typical African American genetic make up, although s/he is a typical mulatto make up. The average African American is much more African and significantly less European than that.
Louisiana creoles are a subgroup of aframs, they are very much mixed with european,.. but then again there are still some gullahs left whom are over 90% african on average. I wouldn't doubt it too much though.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:52 PM

4,775 posts, read 7,493,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xolotl View Post
Louisiana creoles are a subgroup of aframs, they are very much mixed with european,.. but then again there are still some gullahs left whom are over 90% african on average. I wouldn't doubt it too much though.
I know that, but the average African American is overwhelmingly African. This is why most African Americans can be considered to be 'real' blacks, but I wouldn't consider certain African American groups, such as Louisiana Creoles, as 'real' blacks. They are too mixed to just be black and for this reason I see them as a mixed race people. Louisiana Creoles don't consider themselves black (in a racial way, but they also differentiate themselves culturally.)

I know there are many mixed race people that like identifying as black and I think if they choose that then it should be fine (at the end of the day, they are part black), but many mixed race people want to identify with something that acknowledges everything that they are, in a way they want to be true to themselves. If this type of person is conspicuously mixed and they want to identify as mixed, that should be fine too. Its not as if they are lying or that people get angry at them for stating a truth. Imagine that! LOL

Old 03-22-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolotl View Post
Creole is not race or a sub-group of any group, it's a culture. Creole people can be any color, White, Black, mixed or mixed with White/Black/Native American. Creole's (true Creoles) descend from the early French or Spanish settlers of Louisiana. Creoles were French or Spanish people born into the colony. Those people today that stem from this lineage of these early peoples are called "Creoles" and/or "Creoles of Color." Many later immigrants intermarried with "Creoles" and other African American's from different parts of the US also intermarried with Creoles.

Are we to say, White's that come from Creole ancestry is a "sub-group" of Whites?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy