Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 05:58 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,912,628 times

Advertisements

I have a person in our family who I think is an illegitimate child.

He was born in 1923 in a small missouri town, and he assumed the last name of a couple who raised him. I just go his SSN application, and at age 15 he applied with their last name, which I suppose makes sense if he doesnt know who his birth parents are.

Somewhere between the application in 1940 and 1949, he was arrested under what I believe is his legal birth name. He served in the military with the legal birth name, and it is the name tied to his SSN death index name.

What I am not sure of is, how do you get a SSN issued (in 1940) if your name is not your legal name? I'm trying to figure out how he would have eventually discovered his legal name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 06:11 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Are we talking about one SSN or two?

Old 03-24-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Are we talking about one SSN or two?
just one.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:25 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiner81 View Post
I have a person in our family who I think is an illegitimate child.

He was born in 1923 in a small missouri town, and he assumed the last name of a couple who raised him. I just go his SSN application, and at age 15 he applied with their last name, which I suppose makes sense if he doesnt know who his birth parents are.

Somewhere between the application in 1940 and 1949, he was arrested under what I believe is his legal birth name. He served in the military with the legal birth name, and it is the name tied to his SSN death index name.

What I am not sure of is, how do you get a SSN issued (in 1940) if your name is not your legal name? I'm trying to figure out how he would have eventually discovered his legal name.
You didn't always have to provide proof of identity to get a SS card:
Social Security History

Old 03-24-2014, 06:52 PM

As I understand it, the application for the number has one name and the SSDI has a different name. That implies that at some point a name change was made with the Social Security Administration. I would contact them and see if you can determine when that happened and what paperwork was submitted to document the reason for the change.

Also, you are assuming he did not always know his birth parents' names. How sure are you that he didn't?

Old 03-24-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
As I understand it, the application for the number has one name and the SSDI has a different name. That implies that at some point a name change was made with the Social Security Administration. I would contact them and see if you can determine when that happened and what paperwork was submitted to document the reason for the change.

Also, you are assuming he did not always know his birth parents' names. How sure are you that he didn't?
yes, that sounds about right. I will see how I can find out about the change between the application and SSDI.

I don't know if he knew his birth situation as a child (or 15 year old SSN applicant). The person I think who was his birth father (my relative) was long-married with several other children. It doesn't appear that any of the legitimate kids knew about this extra son, which I find interesting given that it's a very small town (less than 2000 people today). All of these people are long dead so I am trying to piece this together.

Last edited by christiner81; 03-24-2014 at 09:57 PM..

Old 03-25-2014, 09:55 AM

738 posts, read 999,605 times
When I went to apply for my ss number as a teenager, I used my last name; the same name that my parents and sister had. It wasn't until a few years later that my mom informed me that I was never legally adopted by my step-father after she married him. She explained that it was just 'easier' to have everyone's name the same, especially when she enrolled me in school. Doing this allowed them to avoid all that unnecessary paperwork...lol.

The other thing to remember is that many people who were born prior to WWII, did not even have a legitimate birth certificate as home-births were still the norm. So in this situation, it would make sense that it was relatively easy for your ancestor to embrace both names. No biggie...just a wee bit of a complication when doing research.

It is certainly possible that this person was the result of a non-marital event and that the people involved just handled it the best way they could. I think this happens a lot more often than most people realize. And sorting it all out will definitely present a challenge; one that has the potential to be overcome, but without DNA, almost impossible.

RVcook

Old 03-25-2014, 06:04 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,851,625 times
So, he was born in 1925. You say they lived in a very small town. You know the "new surname" that he began using in the 1940's. Try searching the 1920, 1930 & 1940 census for that surname in the small town. Maybe you'll find the bio family?

www.familysearch.org You can search the census indices, but 1920 & 1930 census sheets are not viewable at FamilySearch.

www.ancestry.com has the all the census indices & census sheets are viewable. Ancestry is a subscriber site, but is free on many public library computers.

Old city directories may also be hepful. Ancestry has a large database of old city directories.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
So, he was born in 1925. You say they lived in a very small town. You know the "new surname" that he began using in the 1940's. Try searching the 1920, 1930 & 1940 census for that surname in the small town. Maybe you'll find the bio family?

www.familysearch.org You can search the census indices, but 1920 & 1930 census sheets are not viewable at FamilySearch.

www.ancestry.com has the all the census indices & census sheets are viewable. Ancestry is a subscriber site, but is free on many public library computers.

Old city directories may also be hepful. Ancestry has a large database of old city directories.
the 1930 census lists him in the town that he was born in as a 5 year old nephew of the "adoptive" parents. This is the last name he used on his SSN application. The next census, he is listed with them again (same name), but this time, as a son, and they had moved a bit further out from the same town. I think all his addresses were rural farms, he was not a city kid. That same year was the year he applied for the SSN (1940).

I am not sure if the woman of the couple who raised him is possibly his biological mother or a random other relative who raised him...all I know is she is not related to my family. We "found" this illegitimate child because he was getting money sent to him from my great great grandfather while he was in jail. By that time, both men had the same last name. I believe he is my great-great grandfathers' illegitimate child but there is no good way to prove it. I'd love to get his birth certificate from missouri but I don't think they would give it to me based on their privacy laws.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiner81 View Post
the 1930 census lists him in the town that he was born in as a 5 year old nephew of the "adoptive" parents. This is the last name he used on his SSN application. The next census, he is listed with them again (same name), but this time, as a son, and they had moved a bit further out from the same town. I think all his addresses were rural farms, he was not a city kid. That same year was the year he applied for the SSN (1940).

I am not sure if the woman of the couple who raised him is possibly his biological mother or a random other relative who raised him...all I know is she is not related to my family. We "found" this illegitimate child because he was getting money sent to him from my great great grandfather while he was in jail. By that time, both men had the same last name. I believe he is my great-great grandfathers' illegitimate child but there is no good way to prove it. I'd love to get his birth certificate from missouri but I don't think they would give it to me based on their privacy laws.
Does he have any living descendants? If so, have you tried contacting them? How about an obituary, since you know when and where he died?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy