Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 12:19 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,164,899 times

Advertisements

For the first time, I'm doing a tree for an American born person and all the research I need is around the 1800's to early 1900's.

I've only ever done it for English trees and made great use of FreeBMD, the GRO information and have always quickly been able to confirm who married whom and when!

So now I need marriage information from the late 1800s. Is this information not public record? Does it vary state by state? All of a sudden I feel like a kindergarten student. Would appreciate some advice! I have a membership to ancestry.com. The search on that thing is driving me bonkers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 12:38 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,611,290 times
Have you tried the free site run by the Mormon church, at
https://familysearch.org/search ?

It is sometime better than Ancestry.

What is your trouble with Ancestry ?? My issue with them is having to constantly reset the sliders for Broad >> Exact search terms

Marriages from the 1800s are public record in most areas. However many areas did not start recording births marriages etc until after 1900.

You should also look at Free Genealogy and Family History Online - The USGenWeb Project They many times have info that Ancestry does not.

Also look at Welcome to Cyndi's List for leads on sites of interest to you.

Happy Hunting......

Old 05-15-2014, 01:07 PM

Thanks, reed! YES, same problem, that slider thing always goes to broad and gives me 6 million records, lol.

I'll definitely look at familysearch - I've used it a lot in the past but again just for brits. Thanks for your other links, will check those out!

Old 05-15-2014, 02:59 PM

9,285 posts, read 14,892,417 times
I hate that Ancestry slider thing!

Old 05-15-2014, 03:01 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,862,571 times
Record availability varies not only by state but sometimes by county. Marriage records are usually found at a county level, though as mentioned, many are available online. What areas are you researching in?

I don't mess with the slider bars on ACOM, I just click "edit search" and then use the drop down menus to define how exact I want the search for each field.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:19 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,849,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
For the first time, I'm doing a tree for an American born person and all the research I need is around the 1800's to early 1900's.

I've only ever done it for English trees and made great use of FreeBMD, the GRO information and have always quickly been able to confirm who married whom and when!

So now I need marriage information from the late 1800s. Is this information not public record? Does it vary state by state? All of a sudden I feel like a kindergarten student. Would appreciate some advice! I have a membership to ancestry.com. The search on that thing is driving me bonkers.

If you can tell us what state they lived in then we can give you more specific tips.

Unlike UK where one can look at Freebmd for the entire country, in the U.S. vital records are kept by each state separately. And, in some cases, i.e. New York City, their vital records are kept independently of NY State.

Knowing what state your family lived in will allow us to give you specific databases to search vital records, old digitized newspapers & much more.

Besides the federal census that is done every ten years (& is currently public through the 1940 census) many states also did their own state census. Many of these state census are available, some on Family Search & some on Ancestry.

Agree that www.familysearch.org is wonderful & sometimes better than Ancestry. That being said, Ancestry does have some databases that FamilySearch does not & vice versa.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:19 PM

Specifically western NY - Niagara/buffalo, Lewiston, porter, etc.. Looking for marriages in the late 1800s.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:35 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
You could search the vital records by city or state. Do a search on Niagara, NY for the year and limit it to marriages in Ancestry. Forget about that annoying slider bar.

Try it for Buffalo too.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:52 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,283 times
The good news is that in that part of the country there should be more records available. The bad news is a lot of the information isn't online.

Census records may be able to help you narrow down dates. In 1900 and 1910, the US census asks for how many years the couple has been married.

I've also had a lot of luck searching newspapers for marriage listings. Some counties posted all marriage licenses in the paper. Others posted select notices of weddings. The Library of Congress has a lot of newspapers online for free Search U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

If you can narrow down the specific county where the marriage likely took place, search for their website (usually include county name and "Clerk of Courts" or "County Clerk"). They may have information on where the records are stored, and they likely have a process where you can send them money and they will search for the record for you. Some states also do this (<state name> + "Vital Health Records").

Old 05-16-2014, 09:17 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,862,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
Specifically western NY - Niagara/buffalo, Lewiston, porter, etc.. Looking for marriages in the late 1800s.
NY seems to file BMD records at a city level: Niagara County > County Information > FAQs

Quote:
Q4. Where can I get a copy of vital records (marriage, birth or death record)?
Answer:
Vital records are filed with the local municipality in which the event occurred. For example: (A) If you purchase a marriage license in Lockport, NY but the ceremony is performed in Niagara Falls, NY you would obtain a copy of the marriage certificate from the Lockport City Clerk where the original is purchased. (B) If an individual lives in North Tonawanda, NY but expires while hospitalized in Buffalo, NY the death certificate will be filed with the Buffalo City Clerk and you would contact them for copies of the certificate. To obtain a copy of your birth certificate, the record would be with the registrar in the municipality where the hospital is located. Link to the contact information for the cities towns and villages in Niagara County.
Here's that list of links: Niagara County > County Information > Cities, Town and Villages

Here's Buffalo city: Genealogy Records and Resources - City of Buffalo

Niagara Falls ny: City of Niagara Falls NY Genealogy

Porter: Town Clerk | Town of Porter |

Lewiston: Town of Lewiston | Town Clerk's Office

If those don't go back far enough, you may have to search for church records or newspaper announcements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy