Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 07:29 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever experience similar to this? I have twice now made contact with somewhat distant relatives, only to find out one parent I had thought was their parent...actually wasn't.

"Yes, so and so was my mother, but her husband wasn't my father..." And it's not like you can just ask, "OK, who was your dad?", when in all likelihood they may not know.

Just wondering if anyone else has gone through the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 10:22 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
In all likelihood they may very well know who their father was. Multiple marriages/ divorces with children from each is very common. You seem to be thinking along the lines of one night stands with strangers, which is probably nor the case.

What you may be running into into is step families. All you really want to do is to figure out your blood relations.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:22 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
In all likelihood they may very well know who their father was. Multiple marriages/ divorces with children from each is very common. You seem to be thinking along the lines of one night stands with strangers, which is probably nor the case.

What you may be running into into is step families. All you really want to do is to figure out your blood relations.
In one instance (one of my dad's cousins), I am pretty sure this person does not know who her father was. I mentioned in another thread, but she isn't even sure of what city she was born in.

The other one that came up yesterday is someone who isn't actually a relative. I was trying to make a connection with the family of my grandmother's step-sister's spouse, trying to see if any pictures or other info of the step-sister may have survived (she died in 1945). His eldest daughter emailed me yesterday and said "Yes, (second wife) was my mother, but he was not my father...thank goodness!"

So yeah, not something I can exactly ask further about.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:47 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
Another reason why with genealogy, I limit my interactions to just dead people and records. Awkward moments only seem to come up with those pesky living people...

Old 04-14-2014, 09:50 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Anyone ever experience similar to this? I have twice now made contact with somewhat distant relatives, only to find out one parent I had thought was their parent...actually wasn't.

"Yes, so and so was my mother, but her husband wasn't my father..." And it's not like you can just ask, "OK, who was your dad?", when in all likelihood they may not know.

Just wondering if anyone else has gone through the same thing.

Why can't you ask who their biological father is? As long as you have explained that you are doing the geneaology research I don't see where it would be a problem. All they can do is tell you they don't want to discuss it, they don't know or it is none of your business. Then you thank them for their time and move on.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:06 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Another reason why with genealogy, I limit my interactions to just dead people and records. Awkward moments only seem to come up with those pesky living people...
Yes, but....those dead people (or their records) can tell tales. My cousins reacted in icy fury - they no longer will communicate with me - when I discovered that one of our grtgrtgrandmother's would never have made it into the lady's auxiliary of the KKK.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:12 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
My ggrandfather was said to be a woodscolt, father unknown. Or it was said it was so far back there no one knew the family names. He was born in 1838.

My male cousin did the YDNA which confirmed that our YDNA was in a a different familytree DNA project than our surname.

Illegitimacy confirmed. local family identified. to me, it was no big deal just a fact. But my cousin's reaction was different. He asked me to handle all YDNA inquiries in his behalf if I wanted but he would have nothing to do with that family project line. Discussion closed.

It was no shame on us, but the societal reprecussions on my gggrandmother and her family, my ggrandfather, and my grandfather were significant.

So it was an awkward moment but I understand.

And I get a lot of contacts on that family line. It may be awkward for them as well, my information is limited.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:22 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,852,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracysam View Post
another reason why with genealogy, i limit my interactions to just dead people and records. Awkward moments only seem to come up with those pesky living people...

rofl !

Old 04-14-2014, 06:35 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,852,540 times
The info that I discuss with family members varies depending on our relationship.

One cousin's father had a first wife & I don't know if he knows that or not. I've never metioned it to him. There were no children from the first marriage & it didn't last long. I figure it's not my place to tell my cousin. Either his Dad told him about the first marriage, or he didn't. My cousin's never mentioned it, so neither do I.

I have other cousins with whom no info is held back between us. It just depends on the relationship.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:56 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,014,438 times
I already knew of an undocumented coupling in my husband's family tree prior to researching his family tree. Now I'm presented with a dead end since no record appears to exist for paternity of a great-grandparent. I haven't delved any further than that. Al involved are dead and gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy