U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 04:49 PM

853 posts, read 742,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
So I went to the library and found Indian census rolls for the Crow, and I figured Caroline isn't too common. I don't have information for birth year nor maiden last name, so I'm working with some very limited information.

My grandma is 67 and currently on a mission with her church in Uganda and Kenya, so I can't just call her up. From grandma's age, though, I have about a 15 year range for my great grandmother's birth, and I've narrowed it down to between 1915 and 1930. I looked at the 1925 census. I didn't have time to check the 1940 rolls but I'll look next time. Does anyone know of these Carolines or their relatives? Another thing I'll have to find out is whether she was born on or off the reservation, although I don't know if that would affect whether she and her parents would appear in the census. It's very tedious trying to verify or debunk whether my great grandma was what she said she was. But I am learning a lot about native Americans this past week than I have ever learned in my entire life.

Caroline Amanda Old Crow, born 1921, to Annie Plenty good and Stands Among Shooters/Simon Old Crow
Caroline Old Bull, 1923, to Amy Old Bull
Caroline Claire, 1912, to Elsie Peters Claire Johnson
Caroline Shane, 1916, to Edward Shane

???

I also wanted to ask before trying, whether contacting Crow Agency will give some answers, but without a maiden name and birth year, I feel like I'd be wasting their time. I just want my grandma to give me everything she remembers about her mother all at once. She left home at an early age so I hope she knows a lot more than this.
I highly recommend getting a DNA test. If this is true then it should be recent enough in your ancestry to show up in your DNA (or even better your grandma's DNA). This will have a chance to conclusively prove you have Native American blood and can really help ensure you're looking in the right place (also the amount numbers, especially for your grandma are close enough to give you a good idea how far back).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 10:10 AM

2,943 posts, read 3,747,543 times
Being a plains nation the Crow have some presence in Canada. I've worked in Alberta by those who identify themselves as Crow and there is quite a strong connection with plains tribes historically between Montana and Alberta/Saskatchewan.
The border was fully open up until 1905 and usually if you have status you're automatically considered a citizen of both the USA and Canada.

The Crow had a presence in Canada south of Lake Winnipeg historically.

Crow Nation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If your USA research bogs down you might include Canadian sources as records were well kept up north.

Last edited by thedwightguy; 07-12-2014 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: add information

Old 07-12-2014, 02:10 PM

269 posts, read 422,528 times
Quote:
So I went to the library and found Indian census rolls for the Crow, and I figured Caroline isn't too common. I don't have information for birth year nor maiden last name, so I'm working with some very limited information.

My grandma is 67 and currently on a mission with her church in Uganda and Kenya, so I can't just call her up. From grandma's age, though, I have about a 15 year range for my great grandmother's birth, and I've narrowed it down to between 1915 and 1930. I looked at the 1925 census. I didn't have time to check the 1940 rolls but I'll look next time. Does anyone know of these Carolines or their relatives? Another thing I'll have to find out is whether she was born on or off the reservation, although I don't know if that would affect whether she and her parents would appear in the census. It's very tedious trying to verify or debunk whether my great grandma was what she said she was. But I am learning a lot about native Americans this past week than I have ever learned in my entire life.

Caroline Amanda Old Crow, born 1921, to Annie Plenty good and Stands Among Shooters/Simon Old Crow
Caroline Old Bull, 1923, to Amy Old Bull
Caroline Claire, 1912, to Elsie Peters Claire Johnson
Caroline Shane, 1916, to Edward Shane

???

I also wanted to ask before trying, whether contacting Crow Agency will give some answers, but without a maiden name and birth year, I feel like I'd be wasting their time. I just want my grandma to give me everything she remembers about her mother all at once. She left home at an early age so I hope she knows a lot more than this.
You started a thread with;

1. I just found out from my grandmother that she's 100% Crow nation native American

Then...in another post

2. I just figured out a few days ago when I was looking at the family tree, that my grandmother is only half.....So that makes me 1/8 blood quantum, not 1/4.

Finally...

3. It's very tedious trying to verify or debunk whether my great grandma was what she said she was.

So here we are....A possible Indian Blood Myth? You cannot obtain any family information from YOUR family?

Did you ever see a picture of your great grandma....someone who is 100% Crow would like something like this. These people look like who they say they are. I agree with Alandros, do a DNA test, to see if you have any Amerindian to begin with.

Old 01-01-2018, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 249 times
Hi there, I am also trying to research my Crow heritage. My great grandmother was supposedly 100% Crow. On the regular ancestor census, she was listed as mulatta, but I have been told she was 100% Crow. Would appreciate you sharing any info on how I can keep gathering information. I know one of her son's names (my grandfather) and that she was suppose to be very beautiful and thats about it. Thank you and hope you have had success in the info you were seeking!

Old 01-01-2018, 09:30 PM

4,079 posts, read 3,421,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCrolley View Post
Hi there, I am also trying to research my Crow heritage. My great grandmother was supposedly 100% Crow. On the regular ancestor census, she was listed as mulatta, but I have been told she was 100% Crow. Would appreciate you sharing any info on how I can keep gathering information. I know one of her son's names (my grandfather) and that she was suppose to be very beautiful and thats about it. Thank you and hope you have had success in the info you were seeking!
Fir some years there were also Federal annual Indian censuses of residents of reservations.

If you wish for me to search for her, post what you know---her name, married name(s), spouse, birth year, location, parents' names, children's names & birth years & location, death year & location.
Was she Catholic?

What census did you find her in? Post the details also so I may also view it.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:54 PM

8,053 posts, read 4,420,851 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the information and I will definitely find stuff at the library.

Update: I just figured out a few days ago when I was looking at the family tree, that my grandmother is only half, because her grandfather on her father's side was a white European American, and that it was his surname Love that passed down to grandma's father, and great grandma Caroline - the Crow woman - was not named Love. So that makes me 1/8 blood quantum, not 1/4.

I researched a 1999 Crow law that members with less than 1/4 blood quantum are still accepted by the tribe, however, will not have any voting rights, but will have a right to the land trust or something that I gathered means a right to live on and share the reservation land.
if her grandfather was white then grandma dad would be 1/2 and grandma herself 1/4, and then your mom or dad, which ever one in line 1/8, that would make you 1/16
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or