Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 01:39 PM

738 posts, read 998,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
<snip>...Even the "best, most credentialed" ones will make glaring mistakes (those who believe that the Family History Library in Utah has "90 percent of all information" -- a direct quote from the first professional I hired)...<snip>
Totally, absolutely and completely agree with ^^this^^.

RVcook
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 03:06 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
Great info here. Tagging this thread to follow it.

Thanks!

Old 09-07-2014, 10:18 PM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
I've found this to be most effective, because you HAVE to do legwork at some point.

Even the "best, most credentialed" ones will make glaring mistakes (those who believe that the Family History Library in Utah has "90 percent of all information" -- a direct quote from the first professional I hired).

I was super-excited because she agreed to take on my project, and she'd been "on TV," but she farmed my project out to one of her staffers, who incorrectly documented that a certain "Jane Doe" had married three times -- but the tipoff was that each time, her name remained "Jane Doe" -- if she had married three times, she would not have kept her maiden name each time, and this was WAY back in the day.

I later found someone who DID the legwork and found some really incredible things that the "TV genealogist" would never have found. He went right to the source -- the court houses, the state history libraries, etc.

So, I would hire someone local to the area of interest -- but always trust your instincts. I remember thinking, "that seems strange" when I got the report back re: Jane Doe, but I let it go and put blinders on because, well, they were the "experts." But common sense overrules that sometimes.
^ Terrible! Did you get it redone by either the first researcher or another?

Old 09-07-2014, 10:19 PM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Just wondering if someone would tell me about what a researcher costs? Ball park figure more or less. Thanks!

^ I am very interested in this too!

Old 09-07-2014, 10:57 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
^ I am very interested in this too!
The only experience I have with paying someone was a few months ago. I contacted the Borthwick Institute in Yorkshire to help with a brick wall I have over there. I paid by the 1/2 hour and it was $30--$50 US equivalent. He ended up doing one hour total and found absolutely nothing and was honest enough to say there was no point in going further.

Being affiliated with the Borthwick, he had access to records that I could never have known about and had never heard of. He wasn't that familiar with my particular city though. I would endorse what has been said about finding someone who is a member of a genealogical group.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:00 PM

540 posts, read 1,105,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Just wondering if someone would tell me about what a researcher costs? Ball park figure more or less. Thanks!
It can obviously wildly vary based on the qualifications of the researcher, how long they have been doing research, the location they are based in, and even how busy they are, etc. Can depend on if you want someone to only retrieve documents you specify or if they are formulating and executing a research plan for you.

We are currently engaged with a genealogist as we are about 1200 miles away from the geographic location where we need legwork done. Her fees are $45/hour. But additional fees can include: travel outside this area, photocopying, microfilm rental fees, certificate fees, parking, and postage.

That said, we are pleased thus far. We did an initial consultation/research plan development and were pleased with the results and are now involved in a second project with her. I wish the turn around time was a little faster but we are not her only clients of course and she was up front about the schedule and why the time frame is what it is.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:51 AM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
The other way to approach this is to ask a researcher to work on only one question or generation at a time.
Be very specific and always give the researcher what you have already verified so research will not be repeated.

If you say, "find all my ancestors" be prepared to spend thousands. Also, you will be getting away from the principal of staying local in research since many times ancestry may be spread over many states, etc.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:30 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,763,762 times
Angry If i hire a geneologist, how can i be sure their info is accurate?

Apparently, one can't know for certain.

A book has just been published (a distant cousin of mine had it done, apparently...) wherein my paternal great-grandparents are listed inaccurately: a man whom neither I and my brother and our 14 cousins have ever heard of is said to be our great-grandfather!!

It's very upsetting, and as a result of this mistake it's hard for me to believe that anything at all in the whole book is accurate. I'm thinking of returning the book.

This genealogist is purported to be a professional.. .

Old 09-08-2014, 04:22 PM

738 posts, read 998,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Apparently, one can't know for certain.

A book has just been published (a distant cousin of mine had it done, apparently...) wherein my paternal great-grandparents are listed inaccurately: a man whom neither I and my brother and our 14 cousins have ever heard of is said to be our great-grandfather!!

It's very upsetting, and as a result of this mistake it's hard for me to believe that anything at all in the whole book is accurate. I'm thinking of returning the book.

This genealogist is purported to be a professional.. .
Hmmm...sounds like a letter to that distant cousin may be in order...

RVcook

Old 09-08-2014, 05:05 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,763,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
Hmmm...sounds like a letter to that distant cousin may be in order...

RVcook
Oh yeah! We cousins are conferring and marshaling our forces . At this point, the "professional" is insisting that she has the correct data
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy