Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 12:47 PM

6,888 posts, read 22,442,837 times

Advertisements

I previously had Family Tree Maker on a Win98 system. I had the deluxe version with all the CDs available at the time. I bought this version because I wanted access to everything and anything possible. When that computer died I purchased a Win7 system and have just figured FTM wouldn't work on it and walked away from my research for several years. Now, I'm finding some of my brick walls are opening with the passing of time and I'm getting interested in starting the research again. Reading through a few posts in here and I see it may be possible to run the FTM I own after all. But I am wondering if FTM is still the best program available. I picked up something FREE online but it doesn't provide the expanded reports that I want. If I have to spend money on a program again, is FTM the best choice I can make today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 02:24 PM

7,473 posts, read 13,482,930 times
Did you try to install your Win98 FTM version on Win7 ?? I did that on a Win7 netbook, and it installed and works just fine.
I do not know if it makes a difference, but my Win7 is in 32-bit mode. It could be that older FTM may not install if in 64-bit mode.

AFAIK, newer versions of FTM only add more "bells & whistles" to FTM. My old version already does more than what I need it to do.

Old 09-20-2014, 02:47 PM

What I had did more than I needed as well but I was prepared for any obstacle, or so I thought. I just tried to install FTM7.0 and it will not complete the install on Win7. AFAIK I do not have 64-bit.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:50 PM

7,473 posts, read 13,482,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
What I had did more than I needed as well but I was prepared for any obstacle, or so I thought. I just tried to install FTM7.0 and it will not complete the install on Win7. AFAIK I do not have 64-bit.
To see which mode you have, go to Control Panel, then View Basic Info.......
If your is 64 bit, I don't know if you need to or can change it to 32 bit

Here is a screenshot of my Win 7 and FTM Ver & 7
Attached Thumbnails
What is the best genealogy software available?-ftm.jpg  

Last edited by reed303; 09-20-2014 at 10:06 PM..

Old 09-20-2014, 10:08 PM

It is 64 bit. Shows you what I know!

Old 09-21-2014, 01:16 AM

540 posts, read 1,100,692 times
Best program is so dependent on person.

That said, my father is still using Family Tree Maker 2005. He has tried newer versions a couple of times. 2012 and 2014 I know for sure he tried but he did not like the "improvements" and how integrated some of the web searching is. He has currently returned to FTM 2005 which I know he runs on a Win 7 machine.

I currently use Roots Magic (you can download a free version to try) and am...satisfied with it. There are things I miss about FTM 2005 myself (Roots Magic can be a little too mouse clicky for my tastes. I miss how easy it is to enter data on FTM 2005...enter a whole family, names and dates, etc. and just use the tab key to move from field to field.) however, I am happy with some of the database tools that Roots Magic has that FTM 2005 did not. There is a lot of flexibility and customization possible in Roots Magic that I am still learning. On the other hand, it is not without its faults too. One of the selling points is the County Check feature and yet it is one of the features that needs work in my opinion. I leave it turned off most the time because it is more of a hassle than a help to me.

Anyway, try the free download if you are interested. (Note: Roots Magic does have a fairly active forum on which you can ask questions, etc.)

One of the other major players is Legacy Family Tree. I believe they also have a free download you can try. I believe Legacy can have a fairly substantial learning curve.

Recently, one of the other major programs, The Master Genealogist, shut its doors.

I know there are some other programs out there, but Roots Magic, Family Tree Maker, and Legacy are the only ones I remember off the top of my head.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:55 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,586,244 times
I have Roots Magic but haven't entered a lot yet. A genealogy friend that does nothing but genealogy, swears by Roots Magic.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:43 AM

Roots Magic is the FREE version I am running now. Can't decide which one to buy. Tomorrow is my day off so I will probably make a decision very soon. Keep the suggestions coming!

Old 09-21-2014, 12:54 PM

36,979 posts, read 40,961,186 times
I have RootsMagic also. I did the free trial and decided to just buy it because it appeared to be easy for a novice to use. I've been happy with it. I do not use many of the features that are available. For example, I tend to put documentation in a note rather than adding to the source list. That's because I made the newbie mistake of not developing the habit of strictly recording sources from the first entry I made in the tree. Please learn from my experience! record your sources!

Old 09-21-2014, 12:57 PM

36,979 posts, read 40,961,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_nightowl View Post
Best program is so dependent on person.

That said, my father is still using Family Tree Maker 2005. He has tried newer versions a couple of times. 2012 and 2014 I know for sure he tried but he did not like the "improvements" and how integrated some of the web searching is. He has currently returned to FTM 2005 which I know he runs on a Win 7 machine.

I currently use Roots Magic (you can download a free version to try) and am...satisfied with it. There are things I miss about FTM 2005 myself (Roots Magic can be a little too mouse clicky for my tastes. I miss how easy it is to enter data on FTM 2005...enter a whole family, names and dates, etc. and just use the tab key to move from field to field.) however, I am happy with some of the database tools that Roots Magic has that FTM 2005 did not. There is a lot of flexibility and customization possible in Roots Magic that I am still learning. On the other hand, it is not without its faults too. One of the selling points is the County Check feature and yet it is one of the features that needs work in my opinion. I leave it turned off most the time because it is more of a hassle than a help to me.

Anyway, try the free download if you are interested. (Note: Roots Magic does have a fairly active forum on which you can ask questions, etc.)

One of the other major players is Legacy Family Tree. I believe they also have a free download you can try. I believe Legacy can have a fairly substantial learning curve.

Recently, one of the other major programs, The Master Genealogist, shut its doors.

I know there are some other programs out there, but Roots Magic, Family Tree Maker, and Legacy are the only ones I remember off the top of my head.

Thanks for pointing out that the county checker can be turned off. I find it annoying, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy