Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 02:19 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,106,645 times

Advertisements

British DNA is Welsh and Scottish, as they are British. English DNA is also MAINLY British, not Germanic, as previously thought. Please America, Britain as an island is now Wales, England and Scotland. Britain does not mean just England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 05:25 PM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elementalmichelle View Post
Wondering if anyone knows about the Celts migrations to the Iberian Peninsula.
I think you have that backwards. Supposedly, a Celtic group called Gaels migrated from the Iberian Peninsula to Ireland.

Quote:
As my dna shows both Irish ( Ireland, Scotland, Wales) and iberian penenisual percentages. Im wonder what specific group of celts or peoples this would be.
Look up the Milesian genealogies. Entertaining, if nothing else.

All of this stuff is hotly debated but hopefully DNA will settle it.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:48 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
Two books for your consideration, both by Bryan Sykes:

The Seven Daughters of Eve

Saxons, Viking and Celts - The Genetic Roots of Britain and Ireland.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:46 PM

10,058 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Hm, does this means that anyone with Spanish ancestry that autosomal DNA tests show small amounts of Northern European DNA, and draws a similarity with Irish/British, may be Spanish afterall?

I guess what I'm asking is the probability that small amounts of Irish/British genes in a descendant of Spaniards is not Irish/British at all?

What about Spanish descendants that have paternal haplogroups (based on Y chromosome) that are much more common among Irish/British/Basques? In this case is it mostly not Irish/British but rather from northern Spain?

Old 01-07-2015, 11:44 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,467,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
I think you have that backwards. Supposedly, a Celtic group called Gaels migrated from the Iberian Peninsula to Ireland.

Look up the Milesian genealogies. Entertaining, if nothing else.

All of this stuff is hotly debated but hopefully DNA will settle it.

I just got my results from FTDNA today and I've had my brother done previously. I've also had a few family members done on 23andMe.

Anyway both my brother and myself are 100% British Isles.

The Gaels did not migrate from the Iberian Penisula which would explain why the Irish are not close to any Iberian population through dna. The Irish genetically are in the North West cluster and close to other British population, the Dutch and Norwegians. They are the closest populations to the Irish. The closest population to the Irish are the West Scots.

The name Gael is actually from what the Welsh called the Irish.

Goídel is thought to have been borrowed during the 7th century from the Primitive Welsh form which became Old Welsh Guoidel "Irishman" (attested as a male personal name in the Book of Llandaff).

Gaels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Milesian tale is fiction and was compiled my monks to give an origin myth to the Irish. Don't forget in the Melesian tale before coming from Spain the Gaels were from Egypt so not very accurate really.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Hm, does this means that anyone with Spanish ancestry that autosomal DNA tests show small amounts of Northern European DNA, and draws a similarity with Irish/British, may be Spanish afterall?

I guess what I'm asking is the probability that small amounts of Irish/British genes in a descendant of Spaniards is not Irish/British at all?

What about Spanish descendants that have paternal haplogroups (based on Y chromosome) that are much more common among Irish/British/Basques? In this case is it mostly not Irish/British but rather from northern Spain?
The most common Irish ydna is L21. At FTDNA most earlier L21 is traced to Britain and before that Northern France. L21 is not common in Spain/Portugal at all.

If you look at dna cluster maps the Iberians are a little bit separate and form their own cluster.

The British & Irish category in 23andMe shows up very high in the Dutch especially but also Scandinavians, North French etc. So I'm presuming there is just a shared similarity in the genetics. Ancestry DNA at the moment is only in its infancy but it is moving along quite quickly especially with all the ancient genomes being analysed.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
I just got my results from FTDNA today and I've had my brother done previously. I've also had a few family members done on 23andMe.

Anyway both my brother and myself are 100% British Isles.

The Gaels did not migrate from the Iberian Penisula which would explain why the Irish are not close to any Iberian population through dna. The Irish genetically are in the North West cluster and close to other British population, the Dutch and Norwegians. They are the closest populations to the Irish. The closest population to the Irish are the West Scots.
What does your DNA have to do with this? Are you implying that the ancestors of everyone on the island took the same migratory path that your ancestors did? Nobody is saying that every single Irish person has an Iberian Peninsula connection. Some do.

The Irish and Iberian Peninsula connection has been established through DNA research. See the Sykes books listed in the post after mine. He concluded from thousands of samples that a group of Celts arrived in Ireland from the Iberian Peninsula. I see no point in debating this with you. You should challenge the DNA experts who established the connection in a large group of Irish, which possibly explains the OP's results.

Quote:
The name Gael is actually from what the Welsh called the Irish.

Goídel is thought to have been borrowed during the 7th century from the Primitive Welsh form which became Old Welsh Guoidel "Irishman" (attested as a male personal name in the Book of Llandaff).

Gaels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Milesian tale is fiction and was compiled my monks to give an origin myth to the Irish. Don't forget in the Melesian tale before coming from Spain the Gaels were from Egypt so not very accurate really.
Some or all of it might be mythical; I said it was entertaining. BUT, when the DNA supports the myth it makes me go HMMM By the way, they claimed to be from Mesopotamia, not Egypt; Egypt was a sojourn on their migratory path, as was the Iberian Peninsula.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
What does your DNA have to do with this? Are you implying that the ancestors of everyone on the island took the same migratory path that your ancestors did? Nobody is saying that every single Irish person has an Iberian Peninsula connection. Some do.

The Irish and Iberian Peninsula connection has been established through DNA research. See the Sykes books listed in the post after mine. He concluded from thousands of samples that a group of Celts arrived in Ireland from the Iberian Peninsula. I see no point in debating this with you. You should challenge the DNA experts who established the connection in a large group of Irish, which possibly explains the OP's results.

Some or all of it might be mythical; I said it was entertaining. BUT, when the DNA supports the myth it makes me go HMMM By the way, they claimed to be from Mesopotamia, not Egypt; Egypt was a sojourn on their migratory path, as was the Iberian Peninsula.
You are talking about old genetic studies that are years old and were only done on mtdna and y-dna and new studies have shown the premise was incorrect. When did Sykes write his book about 10 years ago or more.

There is a newer and wider study called the People of the British Isles Project which you can google. There is a much stronger connection with Northern France and the Benelux, Denmark than Spain.

All Irish cluster in North Western genetic plots with British, Dutch etc. I share with a lot of Irish people on 23andMe and I can tell you they are all overwhelmingly British&Irish by dna and one of the few populations that don't appear to have Iberian and if they do it is only in trace amount. If you looked at the autosomal genetic plot I posted you can see where Irish people fall. I'm very interested in Irish genetics and have looked at it in detail.

I'm actually much closer to Danes and Norwegians. I've removed my name and placed an + so you can see where I cluster on this Eurogenes Plot.

http://i59.tinypic.com/j91nr5.jpg

Believe me I have a personal interest in Irish genetics and have been looking at the subject for years. I'm not trying to be argumentative but if you want to believe erroneous information and not research further that is up to you but be prepared to have people correct you. You can only tell how related people are by looking at autosomal dna and this is what those dna cluster maps are based on. If the Irish people actually came from Spain they would cluster much closer to them and have similar genetics. The closest populations to Spanish are Portuguese, Southern French and Northern Italians. Germans and English are even closer to Spanish people than Irish so that should clue you in on something.

You might want to look up the Hinxton Iron Age samples to get an idea of what the British Isles populations was like about 2,000 years ago. There is a lot of discussion on the Eurogenes Blog, Anthrogenica etc by people that are closely linked with genetics. Many of them are Project Managers at FTDNA.

Last edited by Bernie20; 01-09-2015 at 09:05 AM..

Old 01-09-2015, 02:03 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,532,642 times
Quote:

Your information is old. Time to read up on current studies. Bernie has it right...for now.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:14 PM

Bernie20, you are arguing against a point that was never made. I think you are conflating the purposes and findings of separate studies.

The British Isles Project doesn't replace the Oxford Genetic Atlas Project. BI Project studied geographical genetic patterns between European populations to get a genetic definition of the British population which will be valuable for medical research. It revealed that the isles populations are more homogeneous than expected. Of course the more recent genetic influxes into the isles (invasions by Danes, others) show stronger connections than prehistoric genetics. I don't think anyone disputes that. It also dispelled English propaganda myths of a separate, superior race, and that the Irish were mongrel subhumans.

In other words, the BI Project hasn't led to any new theories on migrations since the Oxford Genetic Atlas Project, and doesn't disprove the theory of a prehistoric group migrating from the Iberian Peninsula to Ireland, which was claimed to have happened much, much longer than 2,000 years ago. Geographic proximity (BI Project) is not a guide for migrations. That way of thinking was scrapped years ago when breakthroughs in prehistoric DNA studies told a different story.

Clear as mud, right?

Quote:
if you want to believe erroneous information
That's funny since I didn't say what I believe. I view all theories with a supersized dose of skepticism. At this time, all genetic theories include some assumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy