Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2014, 10:23 AM

52 posts, read 696,500 times

Advertisements

Has anyone used this? How does it take to get a report back? On the site it said it should only take a few minutes to upload where can see matches, than it says processing takes 1-2 days to batch.

I used 23andme, while it was interesting, I really didnt find it that helpful. I had to use another site for my raw data and so many conflicting data on that. I was high risk for CAD yet another said I was low risk etc...

23andme had me at 99.9 European. pretty much everyone I know got the same results. We're about as generic and common as white bread.

Hoping GEDmatch comes up with something more interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 10:57 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Once your data is uploaded, you should be able to do one-to-one kit comparisons but the one-to-many kit comparisons will take time for them to process.

23andMe is not hugely helpful when it comes to genealogy - most users there don't have a tree, you have to request permission to view your match's genomes, and there's no way to view matches you have in common with someone. All very debilitating to DNA genealogy research. 23andMe was set up with health reports in mind - so it's not really ideal for genealogy. I don't know how they were with health reports since I tested with them after they stopped supplying health reports. I did do the $5 Prometheus health report but even within that, the health reports seemed conflicting, I think because one gene suggests high risk for something but another gene suggests low risk for the same thing... and I think there's not always a way to tell which gene will win out. That may be why you're getting conflicting results.

Anyway, if you're looking for genealogy tools, in addition to Gedmatch, I also recommend you transfer your data to FamilyTreeDNA. At the moment, they have a deal where you can transfer for free if you can refer 5 other people to transfer. Or I think you can pay $69 if you can't refer 5 people. It's a good deal, even for $69, because you are essentially getting results and matches from two companies for a reduced price and you don't have to spit in another tube. FTDNA doesn't provide any health reports, it's geared more towards genealogy so it is the best for this purpose. Equally, Gedmatch doesn't do health reports either - they used to supply some rare allele conditions or something but I don't see it anymore and it was never a full health report. So I'm assuming you are interested in the genealogy, not just health reports.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:48 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
gedmatch is really just a database, yes it took couple minute to load up and about two days to process. its found a cousin on my grandmother side, i never knew. but other than that, its pretty plain

Old 11-24-2014, 06:41 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliSpaghetti View Post
Has anyone used this? How does it take to get a report back? On the site it said it should only take a few minutes to upload where can see matches, than it says processing takes 1-2 days to batch.

I used 23andme, while it was interesting, I really didnt find it that helpful. I had to use another site for my raw data and so many conflicting data on that. I was high risk for CAD yet another said I was low risk etc...

23andme had me at 99.9 European. pretty much everyone I know got the same results. We're about as generic and common as white bread.

Hoping GEDmatch comes up with something more interesting.
I'd say no more than 1/3? of my matches are 99% European. I like 23andMe for the chromosome breakdown for ethnicity, i.e. race. Not only can I see my racial breakdown for each chromosome, I can see my match's breakdown as well. For those of us who are not 99.9% European , that can be a huge clue in our search for certain ancestral lines.

Gedmatch is very useful because you're expanding your genealogical search to include testers from Ancestry and FTDNA. There are also additional tools that allow you to do much more. It's free, what's not to like about it?

If you're only interested in the medical aspect, you can go to Interpretome .
It is a project run by Stanford University and it's free. But again, you will find there are several snps associated with most diseases. Frequently you will find you have one or two of the "bad" SNPS in addition to several of the "good" SNPS for many of the diseases. Thus, it's difficult to translate this to high risk, low risk, or average risk, unless, of course, you carry a few of the biggies such as the genes highly associated with Alzheimer's, Macular Degeneration, breast cancer, colon cancer etc. CAD, not so much.

Anyway, have fun playing around with your data but don't take the results too seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy