Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2014, 09:09 PM

11,948 posts, read 8,272,558 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else used their services? Genetic testing was going to be our Christmas gift to each other but we've been trying to produce a correct sample since late last summer.

Two of mine have both come back as unusable and one of my husband's has. So here we sit with our next tries on the kitchen table wondering what we are doing wrong and how to get this one right. After carefully reading the directions we followed them exactly. We didn't eat or drink for an hour before testing and were both careful to spit saliva only to the measuring line. The vials seemed to seal correctly.

The only thing we can think of is that it was difficult for us to produce sufficient saliva and we thought perhaps it may have had too many air bubbles in it.

Has anyone else had this problem or do you have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 09:38 AM

10,198 posts, read 17,771,162 times
I've seen it recommended to chew on the inside of your cheek a little, it helps scrub off cheek cells with DNA in them.

Old 11-27-2014, 05:56 PM

36,980 posts, read 40,996,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Has anyone else used their services? Genetic testing was going to be our Christmas gift to each other but we've been trying to produce a correct sample since late last summer.

Two of mine have both come back as unusable and one of my husband's has. So here we sit with our next tries on the kitchen table wondering what we are doing wrong and how to get this one right. After carefully reading the directions we followed them exactly. We didn't eat or drink for an hour before testing and were both careful to spit saliva only to the measuring line. The vials seemed to seal correctly.

The only thing we can think of is that it was difficult for us to produce sufficient saliva and we thought perhaps it may have had too many air bubbles in it.

Maybe whip up something mouthwatering good to smell in the kitchen?

10 hints to optimize DNA saliva samples, based on millions of samples

Bubbles don't count:

"When spitting, bubbles don’t count. Make sure that the liquid saliva is at the ‘Fill To’ line; any bubbles present should be above the line. This will ensure that the optimal amount of saliva is collected."

"For donors having trouble spitting 2 ml, saliva flow can often be stimulated by rubbing the cheeks, just behind your back teeth. You can also stimulate saliva production by using a pinch of sugar on the tongue. You only need a tiny amount; just enough that the person can taste it. A drop of lemon juice also works."

Old 11-27-2014, 07:11 PM

12,050 posts, read 10,199,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

I did my test without any problems.

I ordered a test for my 90 yr old mom and thought she might have issues with producing enough spit. Wasn't too bad, but did have lots of bubbles. I just sat there with her until we had passed the line just to be sure.

Her sample was able to be used.

I did have a problem with the first test I ordered. The vial with the blue liquid was cracked. They sent me a new one right away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy