Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 07:23 PM

52 posts, read 696,417 times

Advertisements

All these years I have been unsure if I was adopted of if my father is not really my father. I am blonde with blue eyes and fair skinned. My mother has an olive complextion, brown hair and brown eyes, like both my brothers. My father is blue eyes and blonde hair but nobody thinks I look like him. I have B+ blood, my Father has A+ and my mother has O+. I did the 23andme kit. My Father refused to take it. If I had my brother take the test would I get some answers that way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 08:50 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,226,282 times
With those blood type results, you have your answer.

Blood Type Child Parental Calculator -- EndMemo

Old 01-04-2015, 09:44 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Umm, you know that you may not have been adopted. Your mother may have had an affair, and your father doesn't want a bad memory stuffed in his face.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:53 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliSpaghetti View Post
All these years I have been unsure if I was adopted of if my father is not really my father. I am blonde with blue eyes and fair skinned. My mother has an olive complextion, brown hair and brown eyes, like both my brothers. My father is blue eyes and blonde hair but nobody thinks I look like him. I have B+ blood, my Father has A+ and my mother has O+. I did the 23andme kit. My Father refused to take it. If I had my brother take the test would I get some answers that way?
Yes, it will be obvious if he is your biological brother or not. It might be less clear whether he is a full or half brother but there's other tools to help you determine that if it comes to that.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:07 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,401,352 times
If your brother tests with 23andMe, it will be very clear whether he is a full or half brother, but it won't tell you who your parents are. If you are half brothers from the same mother you won't know which of you is the child of your assumed father, if either one is, unless you get another relative of his to test (like an aunt or uncle, or cousin on his side).

I have advised someone who tested along with his three brothers (they are in their 60's and 70's) and they found out from the tests that they ALL have different fathers but the same mother, but all believed that the man who raised them was their father. It was quite a shock for them and difficult to adjust to learning this at their age. This is unusual but probably still more common than we like to think. So far all but one of them have had luck using DNA to find out who their biological father was (their assumed father really was the father of one of them!).

Old 01-05-2015, 02:38 PM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliSpaghetti View Post
Have you attempted to look up your possible adoption records? Depending on where you are, they might be in your local court- in my state they're in the probate courts.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:52 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
If you really want to pursue this from a DNA testing perspective (not that I'm necessarily encouraging you to as this may not end very well . . . and, note, you're not just risking hurting yourself, but others around you depending on you how decide to share any potential results), I'd recommend that you find a close relative of your father's for testing (say something along the lines of "I'm just doing some family DNA history and am interested in finding other relatives). But, if you go this route, try to have the kit ready when you go visit this relative so that they don't have time to talk to your father, etc.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:47 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
If you really want to pursue this from a DNA testing perspective (not that I'm necessarily encouraging you to as this may not end very well . . . and, note, you're not just risking hurting yourself, but others around you depending on you how decide to share any potential results), I'd recommend that you find a close relative of your father's for testing (say something along the lines of "I'm just doing some family DNA history and am interested in finding other relatives). But, if you go this route, try to have the kit ready when you go visit this relative so that they don't have time to talk to your father, etc.
I don't think lying to family members is the way to go. If someone is consenting to a DNA test, they have the right to know what it's for.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:49 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I don't think lying to family members is the way to go. If someone is consenting to a DNA test, they have the right to know what it's for.
I don't know. Would you feel the same when the OP went to her father to ask for a sample? And, ultimately, I don't view it as a lie; the OP would be trying to find out more about the family history, specifically whether there's any relationship. If it turns out that the OP's father isn't related to her, then she would have actually likely uncovered a lie.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:13 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
All I need to do is look in the mirror.

I look just like them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy