U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2015, 03:44 PM

1,012 posts, read 947,852 times

Advertisements

I recently received my results from 23andme. There were quite a few surprises, the biggest being that it came back with 2.3% African, which is really awesome.

I understand that there are some variances with that percentage, but my question is, how many generations back is my African ancestor? Is there a way to guesstimate that?

My mom's side of the family is very English/Irish, with one known Spanish ancestor (my great grandmother).
On my mom's side, my brother and I are the only Americans, so it's less likely that this is where our African ancestor came from.

The test came back with 17.3% Native American, and 21.8% Iberian, which represents my dad's side, who are from Mexico. It's much more likely to me that our African ancestor would be from this side.

Being that I know very little about my dad's side (he doesn't like to talk about his family), is there a different DNA test that my brother or I could take that might help place our people in Mexico?

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 06:37 PM

9,693 posts, read 5,275,637 times
Assuming that you only have one relatively recent African ancestor (that's not a given) and that is an accurate accounting of your ancestry (when estimates get that small, they may be "white noise" so to speak), I'd estimate that we're talking about 6-8 generations ago.

As for other DNA tests that will more accurately account for your indigenous or other Mexican ancestry, I'm not of much help there.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:24 PM

8,220 posts, read 12,809,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
I recently received my results from 23andme. There were quite a few surprises, the biggest being that it came back with 2.3% African, which is really awesome.

I understand that there are some variances with that percentage, but my question is, how many generations back is my African ancestor? Is there a way to guesstimate that?
Not really, ethnicity is inherited randomly - more randomly the further back the ancestor lived. Additionally, a trace amount like this can just be statistical noise - like a false positive, and not necessarily mean anything. Also, you can have results that do not necessarily represent any recent ancestry. For example, my FTDNA results include 17% Middle Eastern but I have no Middle Eastern ancestry - it's considered an ancient component of my southern Italian DNA, not unusual for someone with Italian ancestry, especially Sicilian.

Quote:
Being that I know very little about my dad's side (he doesn't like to talk about his family), is there a different DNA test that my brother or I could take that might help place our people in Mexico?

Thanks.
You can upload your raw data to FTDNA for a reasonably fee, less than testing again: https://www.familytreedna.com/AutosomalTransfer

You can also upload your raw data to Gedmatch.com which is totally free.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:28 AM

8,096 posts, read 4,448,863 times
first you never said what test you took. if you take the Y chromo test it will be 100% on your fathers side, there is also 100% mother side and a mixture of both. The mixture does not go back far because there are so much information that gets mix. The y chrom goes back thousands of years, it doesn't change that much.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:46 AM

269 posts, read 426,327 times
The autosomes (reflected in autosomal admixture testing) can only be analyzed very optimal to a 3rd great grandparent(s) or the 4th generation. Once you get back to the 4th great grandparent (5th gen) or the 5th great grandparent (6th gen.) if any alleles are inherited is random. Once you get back to a 4th or 5th great grandparent, the chances of those segments being shuffled out of your DNA is very high.

The ethnic percentages which you received in your 23andMe Ancestry Composition is the % against the comparison panel. 17% Native American or Iberian for example does not mean you are actually 17% of that ancestry. This is the percent of your DNA that is similar or compares to the Native American panel (with 23 is Central/South American). It is not measuring ancestry.
Many Mexicans receive variable Sub-Saharan African from 1% to 7%. The problem is this, especially with very mixed populations which have been mixing since the start of colonization and older populations. Sometimes this is not from a recent ancestry, but is old admixture which is recycled in the population, meaning it is swapped back and fourth. This 2.3 SSA could come from both your father's maternal and paternal lines. For some people they may have a recent African ancestry. 2.3 of anything is robust. The only thing you would need to do is do research. The Mexican population has been mixing for a very, very long time.

If you are a woman, you will receive your mtDNA which is your maternal line only. Your mtDNA is deep ancestry. Because women get married and surname changes, genealogical, can be difficult. Women only receive the mtDNA. If you test a brother or uncle from your father's paternal line which shares the same paternal parent, he can receive his YDNA. You can do Y STR which men can do so find a common ancestor via a surname. May be something worth reading into if you are that zealous. Other then that, you may have to ask your father to provide any known locations he knows his father to be from in Mexico.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:43 PM

8,220 posts, read 12,809,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
first you never said what test you took.
She said her results were from 23andMe and they only provide an autosomal DNA test. They do include mt/y haplogroups with that but not a full mt/y test.

Quote:
if you take the Y chromo test it will be 100% on your fathers side, there is also 100% mother side and a mixture of both. The mixture does not go back far because there are so much information that gets mix. The y chrom goes back thousands of years, it doesn't change that much.
Saying the y test is 100% on the father's side is a little misleading - it's not results from all of your father's side, it's results only from your direct paternal line - ie, ONLY your father, your father's father, your father's father's father, etc. The same goes for the mt test - it's not just you mother's side, it's ONLY your mother, your mother's mother, mother's mother's mother, etc. So if the African ancestry isn't on the directly paternal or directly maternal lines, it won't show up on a y or mt DNA test anyway.

The "mixture" test I think you're referring to is the autosomal test. It's not really a mixture of the y and mt test because it don't include the same data. They are three different tests, one is not a combo of the other two.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:23 PM

836 posts, read 1,126,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post

My mom's side of the family is very English/Irish, with one known Spanish ancestor (my great grandmother).
On my mom's side, my brother and I are the only Americans, so it's less likely that this is where our African ancestor came from.

The test came back with 17.3% Native American, and 21.8% Iberian, which represents my dad's side, who are from Mexico. It's much more likely to me that our African ancestor would be from this side.

Thanks.
Before you go digging around your father's side... you do realize that back in the day, "Spanish" and "Portuguese" were code for "passing mulatto" and that "Black Irish" was code for Spanish? (Northern African)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or