Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2015, 07:55 AM

4 posts, read 6,043 times

Advertisements

I'm searching for information on my great Grandfather, John Graham Altman (born 1849), wife Lavina (Lavinia?) Byrd and his father, also John Graham Altman (born 1815), wife Mary Ann Crib. Also any info regarding their wives would be appreciated.

At least the younger, possibly both were born in the Rhems section of Georgetown County. The younger may have moved to Andrews at some point. Most of younger's children ended up in Williamsburg County.

I'm at a dead end. Don't have any information beyond what is written here.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 11:17 AM

2,696 posts, read 3,759,150 times
Hello Nacho, I have access to Ancestry and will search a bit when I get the opportunity. What online sources have you already tried? FamilySearch and Ancestry? How about FindAGrave?

Old 03-13-2015, 11:08 AM

Been on Roots Web, Find a grave and Ancestry.com My Grandfather was Clarence Steel Altman. I think his father (John Graham) moved to Andrews, in Georgetown County at some point. Several of his siblings lived near him in Williamsburg County, just west of Andrews. However, nothing on his father or grandfather as to when or where they lived and died.

Thanks.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:33 PM

2,696 posts, read 3,759,150 times
Just a quick update, I didn't find any more than what you posted online. If I think of some other idea, I will post more. I have a similar brick wall to yours. Sometimes just leaving it alone and coming back at a later time to research does help.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:57 AM

Thanks.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:17 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,517,012 times
I'm assuming you've come across this already...

Quote:
(Thomas̢۪s family)
(1840 cens)Agnes b.c1795, m b.c1815, 2m b.c1827, f b.c1827, m c1832 no#
....4 ?Thomas Altman +Agnes b.1794 d.c1869 #460Wmsb1850,419Wmsb1860
.....5 John G Altman b.1815 d.1865 +Mary Ann b.1824
#461Wmsb1850,402Wmsb1860,26Wmsb1870
.....5 Mary b.c1822 ?+? Graham
.....5 Martha E b.1825
.....5 m b.c1827
.....5 Thomas Altman b.1832 +Mary ? ? b.1844 #29Wmsb1870)
.....5 Alexander b.1834 #30Wmsb1870)
Re: John Altman, SC (born about 1786) - Altman - Family History & Genealogy Message Board - Ancestry.ca

Old 04-07-2015, 04:19 PM

752 posts, read 1,484,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho Mama View Post
I'm searching for information on my great Grandfather, John Graham Altman (born 1849), wife Lavina (Lavinia?) Byrd and his father, also John Graham Altman (born 1815), wife Mary Ann Crib. Also any info regarding their wives would be appreciated.

At least the younger, possibly both were born in the Rhems section of Georgetown County. The younger may have moved to Andrews at some point. Most of younger's children ended up in Williamsburg County.

I'm at a dead end. Don't have any information beyond what is written here.

Thanks for any help.
I have done some research of a few families in the Pee Dee region and Georgetown area of South Carolina, largely in the time period you're talking about. One of the families involved was Byrd/Bird---they came down from North Carolina I believe.

When we're researching people this far back in that region (SC), vital records are virtually non-existent; you'll be relying on extant church records, tombstones (when applicable, but many were buried without a permanent one)---land grants are a good source to find family connections, though they will tell little about women.
Unfortunately, discovering women's maiden names are notoriously difficult in this area and time when church registers or other supporting documents are not be found. Sometimes a child's name includes the maiden name of the mother or some other clue which can be used to dtermine her family---it was not unusual for neighbors to intermarry.

The 1850 US census shows John G ALTMAN, 35 with wife Mary Ann, 26 and three children...but more importantly, the neighbors: John BROCKINGTON--this man received a land grant and survey of 2,030 acres at Gapway Bay, Williamsburg District on April 30, 1853 and it shows John ALTMAN as an neighbor.
(I didnt find a record for land grant for John G. Altman, but...I did find a record of land grant for a James G Altman, dated 1838 at Mill Branch, Williamsburg District for 1,875 acres. In that grant, some of the abutters are names which show in the 1850 census for John Altman, etc....so there might have been a transfer of title at some point between 1838 and 1850 (maybe brothers?)...or James G and John G are the same man....these old records are notorious for inaccurate name spellings.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3....-60?cc=1401638 (1850 US census for ALTMAN)

South Carolina Archives & History - Record Details (land grant and survey for BROCKINGTON, showing John ALTMAN as an abutter).

South Carolina Archives & History - Record Details (land grant and survey for 1,875 acres at Mill Branch, Williamsburg District for James G. ALTMAN, dated February 1, 1838).

I hope this helps a little bit! Sorry if it is a little confusing, but just message me or reply if you have any questions. I love doing this stuff.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:29 PM

752 posts, read 1,484,938 times
And I will add: when I have done research on families in this area and this far back (ie before state vital records), one good way to discover women's maiden names is through wills and probate records. While of course not everyone left wills or any probate records, when they did, they can reveal a wealth of information about familial connections and maiden names. I have used old wills numerous times for this purpose. They also can provide an approximate date of death for the individual (or others as well, such as a spouse).

Old 08-09-2016, 07:25 AM

Thanks to all who responded. Sorry it has been so long, but I somehow lost this forums name and address.

I've started working on my family history again, with minor success. The good news is that I now have an extensive family tree developed on Ancestry.com.

I've found the location of my great grandmother's (Margaret Levina Byrd Altman) grave at the old Harmony Methodist Church cemetery in Williamsburg County. Still nothing on her husband, John Graham Altman (Jr. or II). Unfortunately, my dad and all his siblings are gone, so no one to ask.

Thanks again.

Larry Altman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy