Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 11:37 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,749,596 times

Advertisements

If I remember correctly my ancestors came from the Netherlands, and helped settle the area where most of my family still lives, in the 1880's, and I don't think it was until the early part of the 1900's that the community got together and decided that not being able to business with the rest of the communities, because of language barriers, wasn't beneficial to the community. So they decided that in order to survive as a community the Dutch language was out and it's time to learn English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 08:25 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
My fathers side of the family traces back to late 1600's Virginia, so that was old English. My mothers side of the family immigrated from Germany and settled in Ohio in the mid to late 1800's. When I was a child, my great grandmother spoke some German. My grandmother zilch- so third generation there.

My wife's fathers side of the family came were the Brinton lineage from Pennsylvania (The Brinton House), so late 1600's as well- English. My wife's mother is Bavarian, came to the states in the 1960's. She is obviously fluent, my wife can speak some German but not daily so second generation there.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:18 AM

971 posts, read 1,452,333 times
I am not sure how long my progenator spoke his natural language or from where he came in 1632 to Massachusetts. He was a blacksmith and brought a few kids and the last two born in the USA. He is buried in an unmarked grave in Hull, Massachusetts. This was my fathers family. Moms family so far I have gotten back to 1830. They were Irish which split during the Revolutionary War.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:07 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
I am not sure how long my progenator spoke his natural language or from where he came in 1632 to Massachusetts. He was a blacksmith and brought a few kids and the last two born in the USA. He is buried in an unmarked grave in Hull, Massachusetts. This was my fathers family. Moms family so far I have gotten back to 1830. They were Irish which split during the Revolutionary War.
Wouldn't his native language have been English? In some form. We know the Pilgrims arrived from England in 1620, the Puritans in the 1640s. It's interesting because I thought that by 1632 people wouldn't have spread much beyond the original Plymouth settlement. Apparently they had spread at least as far as the Hull area though.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:13 PM

971 posts, read 1,452,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Wouldn't his native language have been English? In some form. We know the Pilgrims arrived from England in 1620, the Puritans in the 1640s. It's interesting because I thought that by 1632 people wouldn't have spread much beyond the original Plymouth settlement. Apparently they had spread at least as far as the Hull area though.
Thank you for your thoughts, it is amazing how just one word can send one to a new discovery. English would be the most logical it would seem. Family lore so far was he was in Brainard, Mass. for two years before he became a "free man" and was able to acquire property. He lived there until he retired to Hull where he died. Most of his family went south and possibly a couple to Canada. My branch was first found in a town on the shores of New Jersey and imgrated west leaving family on the way to Indiana. Then to Iowa where my grandparents were born. Many are buried there while my line is in Missouri.

Thank you again for your thoughts.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:25 PM

595 posts, read 1,255,516 times
One side is English/Welsh since the 1700's the foreign language speakers were mid 19th century Germans and their kids spoke unbroken English. It was a big deal.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:13 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Nearly all my ancestors are either English, Scottish, or German, but the Scots and Germans have been in America, marrying English folks (then American folks), since the 1600s, so I'm assuming most of them have been speaking some form of English since then.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:59 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Boston was first settled by the Puritans in 1630, so it's not surprising there would be settlers in Hull shortly after.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:51 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
My grandparents were born here, but their parents came over from Sweden. I think my grandparents understood Swedish, but only used a smattering of Swedish words with their children. My mother neither spoke or understood Swedish except for a few words, mostly for foods.

So my answer to the question is 2 generations. It is too bad that we didn't think being bilingual was important back then. I wish I spoke Swedish.

My grandchild to be will be born to a bilingual mother, who went to an international school. I hope the baby is fluent in 2 languages, but since she's in the US, that will be hard.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:53 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Never heard anything but English in our family other than a few words when another country has been visited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy