Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 03:05 PM

37,092 posts, read 41,220,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM90046 View Post
Yes thanks for the support lol.
In addition to all that you said, phenotype doesn't necessarily reflect genetic makeup, many mixed people can pass for just one of their races or even a completely different race. Two mulatto type people have a 25% chance for their offspring to look completely black, 25% chance completely white, and 50% chance mulatto as well.
Um, no. Skin color is not inherited through a single gene, so those numbers do not work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 03:09 PM

490 posts, read 659,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Um, no. Skin color is not inherited through a single gene, so those numbers do not work.
Yes you are correct, but there are a variety of skin colors for both races.
I guess instead of saying "completely white" (because there is no hard definition of white) I should've said predominantly white appearance

Old 04-27-2015, 11:47 AM

19 posts, read 36,223 times
Lebanese people!

Brazil 7,000,000
Lebanon 4,130,000

Old 04-27-2015, 04:02 PM

37,092 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM90046 View Post
Yes you are correct, but there are a variety of skin colors for both races.
I guess instead of saying "completely white" (because there is no hard definition of white) I should've said predominantly white appearance
The 25/25/50 figures you used work only if the condition is related to a single gene, like sickle cell anemia.

More than one gene is involved in skin color. About 11 had been identified as of this article, and there will undoubtedly be more to come:

Milestone 2 : Nature Milestones in Cutaneous Biology

It's not a simple matter of black, white, or halfway in between.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The 25/25/50 figures you used work only if the condition is related to a single gene, like sickle cell anemia.

More than one gene is involved in skin color. About 11 had been identified as of this article, and there will undoubtedly be more to come:

Milestone 2 : Nature Milestones in Cutaneous Biology

It's not a simple matter of black, white, or halfway in between.
Yes I understand what you're saying.
BUT like I said there are a variation of skin colors in each race, skin color isn't the only aspect involved.
In addition to that, solely white skin color genes CAN be inherited from two medium skin colored mulattos.
I understand that skin color is portrayed through co-dominance of multiple genes, but if you only inherit the genes that make your skin appear black/white then you'll appear white/black.

How Do We Inherit Our Skin Color?

And again like I said... "predominately". indicating that there is no hard(firm) definition of White, or Black or any racial identity. I am not saying that there is only White, Black, and Halfway between. Clearly shown by my own racial composition, on this thread, I would be a fool to assume that.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:37 PM

322 posts, read 706,900 times
I think here, it is evident the OP is genetically partially Black. I don't know if that is quantitative (combo of both parents) or from a single parent. If this is from one parent, that parent is biologically entirely of SSA ancestry at least in the low 90's % SSA. Or one parent is in the mid 20-'s and the other in the 70's to produce a child with SSA in the 40's.

Most people over 40% SSA (in North or South America) would be easily identifiable of SSA or Afro-Hispanic ancestry. The common US folk, may be labeled as Black when SSA features are easily discernible.

Here is Carmen Ejogo. Her father is Nigerian and her mother Brit I believe. In the US she would be seen as Black American. She resembles also, multigenerational Blacks. Black Americans that come from a line of mixed ancestry. She could pass for Afro-Latina. Of course lacking the Native American influence.

Zoe Saldana ancestors are from the Dominican Republic (Hispaniola). Both women are mixed with SSA ancestry regardless of location. The Americas (Saldana) vs. Europe (Ejogo). However in the US, the average US American if they do not know their origins, would say they were "Black" or take them as such.

Last edited by AppalachianGumbo; 04-29-2015 at 02:59 PM..

Old 04-29-2015, 02:56 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,222,896 times
"Latin America" is much too broad of a term. I don't even think you can speak about "Latin American" countries as a unit, because they're not actually related.

So, OP, what country are your parents from if you don't mind me asking?

There was significant Arab immigration to various countries, and we might be able to offer more info if you specify which one.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:59 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,222,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianGumbo View Post
Most people over 40% SSA (in North or South America) would be easily identifiable of SSA or Afro-Hispanic ancestry. The common US folk, may be labeled as Black when SSA features are easily discernible.
For what it's worth, I can tell from her results that she is definitely not American because her native ancestry (16%) is too high.

Last edited by Tritone; 04-29-2015 at 03:13 PM..

Old 04-29-2015, 05:05 PM

322 posts, read 706,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
For what it's worth, I can tell from her results that she is definitely not American because her native ancestry (16%) is too high.
He/she is of Latin American descent, though they did not specify which country or if one parent is non-Hispanic. They came her seeking out the Middle Eastern result in their ancestry composition. From there the conversation has morphed.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:50 PM

OP HERE, lol halt the speculation.

Mother is Mexican, white mestizo, probably doesn't have any African admixture but WHO KNOWS.
Father is African American, his mother seemed very african, but his father was a (bite my tongue) "lightskin." Father, like many other Aframs, claims native ancestry also.

Was definitely shocked at amount of Native. Was expecting a more mulatto result, but I am what I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
(I)He** is definitely American (careful how you use that term) both mother and father were born here, and 3 out of 4 grandparents were born here. All grandparents speak english. I do not speak Spanish, am not Catholic, grew up Upper-Middle Class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianGumbo View Post
I think here, it is evident the OP is genetically partially Black. I don't know if that is quantitative (combo of both parents) or from a single parent. If this is from one parent, that parent is biologically entirely of SSA ancestry at least in the low 90's % SSA. Or one parent is in the mid 20-'s and the other in the 70's to produce a child with SSA in the 40's.

This is the topic this thread has seemed to turn to,

Personally, I can say that I do not, and Most Americans do not assign me a Black identity. Black Americans do not assign me a Black identity. I am racially ambiguous, and get asked frequently "where are you from" lol to which I sigh a tragic mulatto sigh, and ask where they think I'm from. I usually get Brazilian, Puerto Rican, or Argentinian(lol people are so ignorant), often Middle Eastern as well. Very rarely I'll get Filipino and Black or Mulatto. Never Mexican idk why maybe because I'm 6'1? Anyway, point is Race is truly in the eye of the beholder

Unfortunately, I am never of the same race as those asking (even though I am, partially), so I'll continue to play my sad tragic tri-racial violin....

Last edited by IM90046; 04-29-2015 at 09:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy