Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2015, 08:55 AM

2 posts, read 2,110 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!
I try to find some information about my family's history.
I found out that my grandfather received an inheritance in 1967 by relatives from the United States.
On the part of the USSR inheritance cases from abroad passed through Injurcollegia, but I want to find a law firm that led inheritance case from the United States part (represented the interests of the testator). I hope that through this company I could find more information about the testator.
I do not know what's inside this process in the United States, maybe someone can advise me where to start looking for (especially given the fact that it was in 1967)?

My relative died in Chicago in 1964.

P.S.: sorry for my clumsy English
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 11:54 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Try here first:

Cook County Clerk of the Circuit Court

Where it says "Search by name" enter the name of the person who died, if you know it.

If not, click on the bubble for "Claimant, minor, or representative" and enter the name of the person who received the inheritance.

Let us know if that works or not.

Your English is fine! Welcome to City Data!

Old 05-15-2015, 11:03 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
If a lawyer handled it, the paperwork will be in Cook County. The papers that were filed will have the name of lawyer(2) on it. The Certificate of Death that is filed in Illinois at the Cook County Health Department will tell you more about your ancestor such as his full name, address, spouse and name of, place of residence, place of death, and the name of who reported the facts.

Generally speaking the information you want may be protected by "client-lawyer privilege" which means he cannot legally tell you anything. If you are the only living relative, it may make a difference I'm not sure. I am also not a lawyer.

Your English is fine. Your legal process in Russia is confusing to us. Not too worry; we'll work it out.

Old 05-16-2015, 02:34 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
It is not clear to me whether the OP knows the deceased person's name. The link I gave allows a search based on the decedent's name or other names in the record, so if the heir's name is there, it should come up. If it does, then you can get the name of the person whose estate it is and the lawyer(s) name(s).

Old 05-18-2015, 12:59 AM

2 posts, read 2,110 times
Thanks for the like. But my relative, it seems, is not in the database. I know her name in Russian, but I'm not sure that I correctly translate it into English for the search. As for me, I guess it is Sophie Postinsky, but there may be embodiments.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:32 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
I presume your relative was buried in Illinois. Try this tool to find the grave Find A Grave - Millions of Cemetery Records and Online Memorials If you can find your relative there you should be able to see the Anglicized form of his/her name (although nicknames are common) and the date (or at least the year) of death and birth.

Your next resource is Social Security Death Records IF your relative received Social Security (our old age and survivors basic pension program), assume that the last State benefits received was IL. The name as it appears on our Social Security records would be the name that would appear on court records.

Not every estate is filed in court (what we call probate) as some people have living trusts which, upon death, designate beneficiaries.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:15 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,850,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat_way View Post
Thanks for the like. But my relative, it seems, is not in the database. I know her name in Russian, but I'm not sure that I correctly translate it into English for the search. As for me, I guess it is Sophie Postinsky, but there may be embodiments.
Found on www.familysearch.org
Info from Sophie's death certificate.

Sophie Postinsky

Illinois, Cook County Deaths

Name: Sophie Postinsky
Event Type: Death
Event Date: 23 Jul 1964
Event Place: Chicago, Cook, Illinois, United States
Address: 2737 N Spaulding Ave
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Birth Year (Estimated): 1905
Birthplace: , , Russia
Funeral Home: Piser Memorial Chapel
Cemetery: Cong Ezras Israel
Father's Name: Morris Postinsky
Mother's Name: Fruma Sapoznik
Informant's Name: Bess Sapoznik

Last edited by daliowa; 05-31-2015 at 11:17 PM.. Reason: edit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy