Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2015, 04:03 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,454,160 times

Advertisements

My results from 23andme show:

92% Sub-Saharan
--87.2% West African
--2.9% Central & South African

7.7% European
--2.9% British & Irish
--3.8% Broadly Northern Europe

I am thinking that such a large percentage European would mean a slave master is in my ancestry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 04:55 PM

322 posts, read 706,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
My results from 23andme show:

92% Sub-Saharan
--87.2% West African
--2.9% Central & South African

7.7% European
--2.9% British & Irish
--3.8% Broadly Northern Europe

I am thinking that such a large percentage European would mean a slave master is in my ancestry?
Thanks for sharing. Question. Your numbers for your Sub-Saharan = 90.1 and you have 92%, what is the 1.9 assigned to, East Africa? I'm assuming you are African American from the Northern Euro. We can't speculate your ancestry and how European ancestry was introduced, not all European blood = from slave masters. Most African Americans that test have some degree of European blood. The average African American has 20% European admixture.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:50 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,454,160 times
Nope: Caribbean American

Sub-Saharan 92%
Northern Europe 7.7%
Unassigned .3%

Since the British owned the sugar cane plantations in the English speaking Caribbean, I did speculate that is where the 7.7% comes in. But you are correct that all were not slave masters. My Sub-Saharan could have been house help or other introduction.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:12 PM

322 posts, read 706,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
Nope: Caribbean American

Sub-Saharan 92%
Northern Europe 7.7%
Unassigned .3%

Since the British owned the sugar cane plantations in the English speaking Caribbean, I did speculate that is where the 7.7% comes in. But you are correct that all were not slave masters. My Sub-Saharan could have been house help or other introduction.
Okay you are from the Caribbean, sorry my bad. I'm not sure what record keeping they down there, possibly any records you could research your family. Very nice results.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:36 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Do you have a European paternal haplogroup?

Old 06-04-2015, 08:16 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Have you done any documented genealogical research?

I am black and usually you can get back to the 1870 census and those ancestors pretty easily (usually gg or ggg grandparents or gggg if you are lucky).

There could be remnants of European genes from the slavery era or it could have been a taboo consensual interracial relationship or you may have a European indentured servant in your genes. You never know until you do the research.

I have never done a DNA test but know a lot about my ancestors, where they were from and their stated racial makeup. We have a lot of "mullatoes" in the family, especially in the group of my great grandparents and beyond.

But there were white women who had relationships with black men in the 17th and 18th centuries. It was more common due to many Africans and Europeans being in the same indentured servant class. These relationships was one of the reasons many states instituted "black laws" and outlawed interracial relationships. I'm currently doing research on a line of my family from PA and they had miscegenation laws as a result of "the growing mullato" population. So depending on your ancestry, it may or may not be European ancestry based on slavery.

ETA: Just saw you were from the Carribbean. I was going to mention that actually your European genes are pretty low for a black American. I'm not all that familiar with West Indian genealogy. But in your situation, I would look up info on familysearch.org or some other genealogy websites first to see if you can find a paper trail if you really want to know about the people in your genes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy