Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: AMERICANS: What race do you consider half black half white people?
Black 63 24.51%
Mixed race aka biracial 190 73.93%
White 4 1.56%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 07:12 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,259 times

Advertisements

Only a black man and a black woman can create a black child.

A black child cannot come out of a white woman's vagina.

Biracial need to be in their own separate category. It's not 1868, we need to abandon the "one drop rule"

Old 10-25-2015, 07:34 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,411,115 times
Mixed

Old 10-25-2015, 07:49 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Only a black man and a black woman can create a black child.

A black child cannot come out of a white woman's vagina.

Biracial need to be in their own separate category.

Absolutely not. Creating yet another racial category is not progress. That's regression to the state of apartheid South Africa, with its separate "Colored" category.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:23 PM

387 posts, read 408,525 times
Speaking as a bi-racial male I always check other....I grew up in foster care in the 80s-90s. Back in those days they wouldn't place a white child in a non-white home. So when I went got placed I was placed with a black family (we still claim each other to this day..i'm 39). Now my sister who was white (diff father) was placed with a white family. Over the years I noticed that someone must've told her some foul things about minorities in general because she went from being my lil sis to treating/avoiding me like the plague. I also realized from a young age that there are only two races in this country (disclaimer...this is just my personal take so if you don't like it oh well). You're either white or you're not white.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:01 PM

102 posts, read 106,199 times
How they look is not the only factor, also consider how they sound and act.

I had a friend at work for several years that I did not know was black. Seriously. We had a Hawaiian who also worked there, and she said once, 'you know, we have more than one minority here', and I had to figure out who the other minority was. My friend clearly had African ancestry, once I knew to look. But she sounded and talked white, and I just never noticed.

My friend made sure she went with her daughter to college admission offices, because her daughter was a blue eyed blonde, but definitely had African bone structure and hair texture. My friend wanted her kid to get affirmative action benefits, and by accompanying her daughter, the university people could look at the mom, and see that the kid, indeed, did have African ancestry.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:55 AM

3,850 posts, read 2,226,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Absolutely not. Creating yet another racial category is not progress. That's regression to the state of apartheid South Africa, with its separate "Colored" category.
We don't live in apartheid South Africa. Race today is just what people call themselves. It doesn't determine your "place" in society or what rights you have.

My attitude towards today's bi-racial people, who I call the "swirl generation", has always been "You don't have to be black if you don't want to be. Run!" Let them be white.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:10 AM

88 posts, read 128,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
I'm taking a racial studies class and want to gather some data but on top of that I'm extremely curious, I'm American but I'm half Afro Brazilian and half German American. When in both countries(meaning brazil and germany) and I say i'm half black half white it's usually accepted. It's a pretty common thing for people from other countries to think that Americans follow the one drop rule/don't accept people being multiracial(my dominican friends especially say this). Any who, just wanted to know if that was true or not, what race do you guys consider a "mulatto" to be.
Thanks.
I am a grandfather of a biracial child and I think it's sad that the government and people put each other in race classifications. I know my granddaughter, who is only 6, calls me her white grandpa and her other grandpa her black grandpa. I don't know how or why she does this, I am hoping it's just an innocent observation, but, I suspect it's her other grandfather's influence. I find racial classifications are used for divisiveness and unnecessary. You can be proud of your heritage without racial classifications.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:21 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
We don't live in apartheid South Africa. Race today is just what people call themselves. It doesn't determine your "place" in society or what rights you have.
In a society in which race is still distinguished both socially and governmentally--as it is in American society--creating a "separate category" will determine a separate set of "place" and rights. There can't be a "separate category" for race that will not result in separate social and governmental considerations in a society that recognizes race.

It's already occurring in American society, such as casting calls for actors and models that explicitly call for "mixed" and those have the affect of imputing social favor for a certain physical look above other looks.

That is not progress.

If white people want to cling to a special category for themselves, that's for them.

Personally, if that's going to be the case for white people, I'd rather all the rest of us go with something indicating we're "people of color" and let people who want to be white cling to their category. I think that would be the fastest way to actually remove race from social consideration, as the "other than white" category becomes the demographic majority and even white Millennial and their children start slipping themselves into it.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
In a society in which race is still distinguished both socially and governmentally--as it is in American society--creating a "separate category" will determine a separate set of "place" and rights. There can't be a "separate category" for race that will not result in separate social and governmental considerations in a society that recognizes race.
You sound like my grandparents that haven't gotten out much since the 50's, and haven't woken up to the fact that we are not segregated anymore. It's actually 2015, not 1952.

There's no longer a legal definition of race that determines what rights you have, where you can sit, what school you can go to school, or who you can marry. There isn't a hierarchy of race at all. "White" and "Black" or "mixed/biracial" are just identities that are all on the same level.

Old folks that grew up during segregation have internalized "blackness" as an inescapable taint. I don't like the crabs-in-a-barrel attitude of "You're black no matter what you say!" because it only serves to stigmatize African Ancestry. What they're really saying is "You're one of us lowly negros!"

I went to school with a lot of the millenial bi-racial kids ("the swirl generation"), and never cared much what they chose to call themselves because I didn't identify with them. Contrary to what a lot of people say, they are very different from us, not just their physical appearance, but they have a different upbringing than people from traditional all-black families, and carry lots of identity issues and other emotional baggage that we don't need to be bothered with.

Bi-racial people: You have no obligation to be black if you don't want to be. Call yourself whatever you want, run off and be white!

Last edited by Tritone; 10-26-2015 at 10:18 AM..

Old 10-26-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneonOne View Post
Most black mixed kids look black to me and barely resemble their non-black parents.
This is another myth. "One drop" doesn't literally make a person black. I can almost always tell the difference. I can even tell the difference between lightskinned blacks and biracial people. A lot of biracial people are the same color as me, but I don't think we favor at all. They always show clear signs that they were born to white parents, and I can spot them from a mile away. And if not by their appearance, I can tell by their mannerism.

Actress Garcelle Beauvais Nilon recently had some bi-racial kids that came out white-as-the-klans-robe. There are too many examples to point out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy