Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: AMERICANS: What race do you consider half black half white people?
Black 63 24.51%
Mixed race aka biracial 190 73.93%
White 4 1.56%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 12:13 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I'm not talking about being raised around whites in a culturally diverse community. I'm talking about you and 5000 whites and that's all.

Where do you think these guys are coming from, Anton is not from an all white town ( the county is less than 5% black and that may be the largest black populated area in that part of the state), but there are many African Americans who identify culturally(the behaviors and beliefs characteristic of a particular social, ethnic, or age group) with their white surroundings.
You've never heard of Charlie Pride--old-school CW from the 60s?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRIRTQ_k-Sg

My family had cowboys--real cowboys who actually rode horses and herded cattle--in Oklahoma from the beginning of the 20th century up to about 30 years ago, when my last cow-punching uncle sold his cattle, retired, and moved to town.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:12 PM

12,953 posts, read 13,665,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You've never heard of Charlie Pride--old-school CW from the 60s?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRIRTQ_k-Sg

My family had cowboys--real cowboys who actually rode horses and herded cattle--in Oklahoma from the beginning of the 20th century up to about 30 years ago, when my last cow-punching uncle sold his cattle, retired, and moved to town.
Yep, use to go to the Rodeo in Oklahoma .

Old 11-20-2015, 02:34 PM

579 posts, read 431,909 times
I haven't read all the past posts...

I think I would say "mixed" but I would feel uncomfortable making that assumption. I don't like putting labels on people, at least when it comes to race. Plus there's such a range when it comes to skin tone.

Assuming that I knew for sure that the person had parents of two races - I still think I would feel nervous about offending them by saying one way or the other. If the issue came up in conversation, I would ask them their preference.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:55 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I totally agree with you. The government on all levels promotes this racial way of thinking by giving advantages to one race over another regardless of what races are involved. It's no accident you'll be asked on almost any official form what race you are from entering schools to filling out a job application, to the national census taken every ten years.

Thank all of the above to progressive liberals.
Divide and conquer. Separate the men from the women and children [it's call single parent households].
When all else fails poison the population psychologically so they pick at each other to the point government - politicians - feels a need to insert itself -> here and make it all worse.
This all depends on the general population swallowing everything hook, bait and sinker to work and much of the general population has, to the delight of progressives.

If any takes the time to read Alinsky's "Rules for Radicals" it can all be found there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
If all reference to race were eliminated, this country would be a better place.
This sentence is hilarious. Life is real, not a make believe fairy tale of rainbows, unicorns, mushrooms, gumdrops and benevolent gnomes.

The sentence would make sense if it read "If everyone had the same color skin and morals, this country would be a better place".

Old 11-20-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeHearted View Post
I'm mixed. I consider myself to be Black AND Hispanic AND Mixed/Biracial at the same time. I identify with all, and I certainly don't have to choose just one.

And yes, I know technically Hispanic is not a race, but it's complicated.

Do you speak Spanish? Hispanic/Latino means those descended from Spanish speaking Indians from south of the border down to the tip of South America. Being labeled Hispanic usually means you speak Spanish as well. The progressive PC idiots have made life a mess to the point people don't know what they are or what to call another for fear of being called out on it. The PC police have made speakcrime reality.

Something even more insidious is the want for people to change the way they speak to suit the LGBT crowd.

Why not insist we all speak Spanish, Chinese and Arabic?

Old 11-20-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarddawg View Post
Eh, in a country with a population as mixed as the US it's all about cultural context, there are no bright lines defining boundaries. If someone's mom is a Somali immigrant and dad is a Swedish immigrant they're likely going to be considered black. Otherwise a lot depends on how white or black their parents are, what cultural subgroup their parents belong to and what part of the country they're living in. There are white people where I'm from (one of the back corners of southern Appalachia) that might be considered black in another context. I used to watch CSPAN quite a bit and I've been confused more than once when a politician was speaking about minority issues in the first person and I didn't realize at first that they identified as black. Requires a bit of cognitive gymnastics on my part when they look less African than a couple of my aunts and several of my second cousins who are white by local standards.

Also never heard the thing about race following the father. If anything people here are defined as belonging to their mama's extended family not their dad's, the exception would be if their mom wasn't local.
Most likely because it was a single parent household with the mother being that parent.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
I wouldn't say that, but white people do definitely love their Asians. They don't call them (and treat them like) "the model minority" for nothing. Also, there are waaaaay more White/Asian mixed race couples, marriages, and children in America than White/Black ones.
Rethink that.
What is the percentage of Asians in the USA vs blacks? I think the ratio leans in favor of blacks, therefore white/black is mathematically superior. Asian women are picky about who they mate with and their family's heritage plays a big part of it.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasherscolt View Post
North American.

It's about time we take color and shades of skin to be of any relevance. Take pride in being American and be thankful for the fact that we live in the best country in the entire world.

Use to. It is quickly becoming a sewage wasteland as is the rest of the world due to progressive politics.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
1% black or greater equals black.
That is a North American POV.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Really? And who made this rule? And who enforces it?

Think in these terms..

Black Pride

White Pride.

Whites do not claim to be mixed, blacks made the claim to 1% and do to this day. That is the only source I ever heard it from and I live in a state where large numbers of descendants of slaves came after the Civil War for work. Across the river lies the city that had the largest slave trading port in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy