Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: AMERICANS: What race do you consider half black half white people?
Black 63 24.51%
Mixed race aka biracial 190 73.93%
White 4 1.56%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 04:24 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,893,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Since black folk have been accepting everybody that white folks have historically rejected, I'd say that black folks have a rather open door when it comes to membership. For example, you don't see black folks referring to Obama as the first biracial president.
I forget that he's biracial lol.

I think the whole thing is complex the phenotypes found in black people are dominant, Idk but I don't think anyone thinks that a child that comes out with black hair etc. is white.

Old 10-24-2015, 04:48 PM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
A former coworker (who is a black man) told me that in the black community, the rule of thumb is: "whatever the daddy is, that's what the baby is."
Nah. Never was, anywhere.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:00 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,451,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeHearted View Post
I'm mixed. I consider myself to be Black AND Hispanic AND Mixed/Biracial at the same time. I identify with all, and I certainly don't have to choose just one.

And yes, I know technically Hispanic is not a race, but it's complicated.
It's not that complicated.

Spaniards are white Europeans. So are some Mexicans whose roots are in Spain, and who have not intermarried with indigenous Mexicans or Central Americans.

The majority of Mexicans I have seen or met in the U.S. are not white, and you can see it clearly.

If I had to classify you, I would say you are bi-racial, but Hispanic is not a race.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:11 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
What ever race they want to be thought of. That's not my call.

I have known mixed race people who self identified as mixed race or bi-racial Others who wanted to be known as African American.

That's their choice - not mine.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:14 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
Due to the population numbers, mixed race people are becoming whiter over time. There are still many all white people. There are very few all black people.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:21 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,571,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soular View Post
It depends on the father. Based on the father is their race.
in slavery times wasnt it reversed. one was free or slave depending on the status of the mother ?

Old 10-24-2015, 06:21 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
Try "Momma's baby, Daddy's maybe."

One of my close friends and one of my former students gave birth to mixed race children. Both were deeply offended when the hospital stated their child would be identified as white in vital records. So, being the crazy professor, I had my students research whether someone can change their "official" race, for example on a birth record or driver's license. After all, we figured you could change your gender, why not something as subjective as race? The answer was that you can, indeed, change your race. And change it I did when I renewed my driver's license.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:29 PM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
in slavery times wasnt it reversed. one was free or slave depending on the status of the mother ?
Yes. That was why there were some extremely light-skinned people who were still slaves. It was also the reason northern whites protested the Fugitive Slave Act. It made any northern white man vulnerable to being captured as a runaway slave purely on the charge of the bounty hunter--and not even the local police who might know him had legal recourse to stop the "capture."

Old 10-24-2015, 07:13 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,325 times
Loving to see all the politically correct state statements. Im gonnna post bout this from the New Mexican records. Actually, numbers of intermarriages, and social status and like factors created a caste system to describe that intermarriage. This began when Spain started the Inquisition. With few Spanish women around, intermarriages started happening. Successful spanish warriors could have many wives, women only one husband. All this and more were recorded in the Catholic Archives.

color que brado was a person of color with no further statement
genizaro meant slaves
mestizos were created by native woman and spanish father
spaniard and black parents of a mullato
Much labeling depended on social status
Of course, there was a lot of spanish new mexican intermarriages some called lobos, coyotes et.al with skin of color but not recorded. So, who can say this is that. There have been baby daddy who wasn't he daddy from a long long time ago.

Isn't spanish and native indians the beginning of mexicans ?

Old 10-24-2015, 07:15 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,947,993 times
Generally mixed, but people like Nicole Richie can "pass" as white (namely, southern European). The rest, most of the time, can easily be full-fledged black/African. Africans differ in skin colour. There are many full-blooded native Africans to the north of the continent who look like Obama, Beyonce and Rihanna. You don't have to have white blood in order to look that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy