Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2015, 03:09 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,683,428 times

Advertisements

What's the best DNA test if you want to determine your ancestry? I'm male, if that makes a difference. And I suppose i wouldn't want to spend more than $200 or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 03:30 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Firstly, you should be aware that the ethnicity DNA tests are merely an estimate based on how similar portions of your DNA are to sample groups from different regions (the sample groups being taken from people who say all four of their grandparents were born in the same area). But since no DNA is totally unique to one area of the world, lots of regions are genetically very similar to one another and that muddies the water for accuracy. Often, the test can be more representative of about 1000 years ago, not of your recent ancestors.

If you are still interested, my first recommendation would be for 23andme.com - in my experience, they have the most accurate results but at the same time are most honest about some DNA not being unique enough to narrow it down into specific regions (ie, for example, they have categories like "Broadly Northern European"). However, 23andMe have recently re-added health reports to their results which means they have upped the price from $99 to $199. If that is too expensive, my next recommendation is for Ancestry.com's test, which is $99, but if you are not a subscriber there, you have limited access, mainly that you can't message your DNA matches or view their full tree. But their ethnicity results are more accurate that FamilyTreeDNA.com, who I would recommend lastly. Don't even consider AncestryByDNA (not the same as Ancestry.com DNA) because they are using outdated methods that are totally unreliable.

Old 12-01-2015, 03:39 PM

56 posts, read 45,548 times
Ancestry dot com is the cheapest and then download your "raw data" at GEDMATCH dot com. for further testing for free. I even downloaded the "raw data" from Ancestry dot com at Promethease and found a lot of interesting things.
;-)

Old 12-01-2015, 04:08 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,368,091 times
National Geographic's Genographic Project. The Geno 2.0 Next Generation Genographic Project kit is $149, down from $199 for a limited time (due to the holidays?)... pretty decent deal there.

I ordered one (female) and got one for my father. So we're covering as much family DNA as possible.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:57 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,683,428 times
For those of us who are supposedly a little bit of this and a little bit of that, it would be fun to see what turns up. For example, one of my grandmothers was Sicilian. But Sicily was invaded by just about everyone, so, there's no telling what will turn up. Another grandmother was part English and part French Canadian. And one of my grandfathers was from Calabria. Etc.

I might just spend some money for the heck of it.

Old 12-01-2015, 05:19 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,368,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
For those of us who are supposedly a little bit of this and a little bit of that, it would be fun to see what turns up. For example, one of my grandmothers was Sicilian. But Sicily was invaded by just about everyone, so, there's no telling what will turn up. Another grandmother was part English and part French Canadian. And one of my grandfathers was from Calabria. Etc.

I say go for it... it's fascinating. I'm eagerly waiting for the results to come back, both for my father and for myself.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:18 PM

56 posts, read 45,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post

I am half italian, my grandparents came from San Remo, Italy and that is funny, take a look at my DNA results:
Caucasus= 6.08%
SW Asia = 7.40%
North Ameridian= 24.49%
Siberian = 2.28
Mediterranean = 18.83%
E. Asian = 0.65%
W. African= 9.72%
East European = 7.58%
North Atlantic (irish) =22.96%

Except for the North American Indian, everything else came from my italian grandpa. LOL

Old 12-02-2015, 08:51 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
I like family tree, for the data base, 23 and me got into medical, I do not want to know that. ancestry been talking about selling their data, and achestry to me, didn't give much info.

when ever somebody lives in an area, they leave people behind. this is how they measure where you from, but that doesn't me your family is actual from that area but somebody in your tree has live there the last hundred years. they are not going dig up bodies to check dna, the data base is made up of living people and the oral history that they have given. a generation could be from an area for last 1000 years or just move there the last fifty years. it still going to resister. the more in that area that get tested the better change. plus you got mutation of cells that tells time.

its hard to explain, you can trace a genetic by mutation and time and tell where that group been in last 1000"s of years but to say your family from a certain town in Italy is only possible if a lot of you tree tested out in that area. but there could of move there after your branch broke off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy