Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 10:11 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,526,207 times

Advertisements

I've been using Legacy Family Tree since 2010. Here's a short video on how to import a Family Treemaker file (GEDCOM) into Legacy:

Update on the Family Tree Maker announcement - Legacy News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 11:40 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
You should ALWAYS download/sync everything. If you don't, you will always be dependent on an internet connection and always be dependent on ancestry.com. This also applies to the fact your should ALWAYS backup your data to an external device. It is not a matter of if your hard drive will fail but a matter of when. If you use cloud backup make sure to use a reputable vendor that will not be going out of business anytime soon. Cloud backup, again is dependent on an internet connection. I for one do not take the internet for granted.
Yes. And something that has been brought up again and again over the years on numerous genealogy sites--who knows if any particular type of technology will be readable or usable for the future generations? Remember floppy discs?

Personally, I am thankful that my UK genealogy was done on PAPER and I own certified copies of the original documents that I personally sent away for to England. They are all in acid free sleeves in a three ring binder.

Maybe this is an overreaction but I'm coming close to printing out old fashioned blank trees and family group sheets and just writing the information in ink. WOW. How retro. But that was always the recommended method. Just make sure you have duplicates that are stored with someone else and make sure your paper copies are not only protected by acid free sleeves so the paper doesn't deteriorate, but also store it in a fireproof box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy