Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 05:15 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,486,337 times

Advertisements

Thanks for that info historyfan - very much appreciated.

I had noticed on Gilbert's marriage documentation with Minnie that it said he had been married before, so you have saved me having to look up who, when and where! I'll take a look later to see what happened to Wife No. 1.

I have to rush off to the dentist now (shiver), but will have a good look around that land ownership site as soon as I get home... so thanks for the link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 03:55 AM

I haven't been able to find out a single thing about Gilbert Gratton's first wife Martha (Hall). I couldn't even find anything for her before she married Gilbert, even with all the info provided by historyfan above. I dunno, I seem to be pretty hopeless with US records.

However, I did find his 2nd wife Minnie with her first husband Alonzo Runyon in 1900 and 1910 - in 1910 they were living in the same township (and thus probably on the same farm) that Gilbert died in, in 1924. So, yes, the prospect of having his own farm was most likely a huge factor in his finding Minnie so attractive! By the same token, Minnie didn't let the grass grow under her feet - Alonzo Runyon died on 17th June 1914 - and she married Gilbert on 19th October 1914, just four months later. It's not like she needed a husband to provide for her children, because there weren't any.

ETA: I still haven't found Gilbert and Minnie Gratton in the 1920 US census, in spite of looking at every possible name mangle (and even with no surname at all). Maybe I should check ship manifests - maybe he was back in England showing off his blushing bride to extended family!

Last edited by Kobber; 01-14-2016 at 04:06 AM..

Old 01-14-2016, 10:31 AM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
I haven't been able to find out a single thing about Gilbert Gratton's first wife Martha (Hall). I couldn't even find anything for her before she married Gilbert, even with all the info provided by historyfan above. I dunno, I seem to be pretty hopeless with US records.

However, I did find his 2nd wife Minnie with her first husband Alonzo Runyon in 1900 and 1910 - in 1910 they were living in the same township (and thus probably on the same farm) that Gilbert died in, in 1924. So, yes, the prospect of having his own farm was most likely a huge factor in his finding Minnie so attractive! By the same token, Minnie didn't let the grass grow under her feet - Alonzo Runyon died on 17th June 1914 - and she married Gilbert on 19th October 1914, just four months later. It's not like she needed a husband to provide for her children, because there weren't any.

ETA: I still haven't found Gilbert and Minnie Gratton in the 1920 US census, in spite of looking at every possible name mangle (and even with no surname at all). Maybe I should check ship manifests - maybe he was back in England showing off his blushing bride to extended family!
Take a close look the image of their marriage cert at:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/...804&cc=1614804 (bottom right)

It appears to me that her maiden name is HALE, not Hall. See her signature, and the minister's writing of her name.

BTW, have you found what became of her ?

Old 01-14-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Take a close look the image of their marriage cert at:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/...804&cc=1614804 (bottom right)

It appears to me that her maiden name is HALE, not Hall. See her signature, and the minister's writing of her name.

BTW, have you found what became of her ?
Yes, reed, you're right - it's Hale, not Hall. As a result of your eagle-eyes, I have found some info on her.

She was actually registered at birth as Mattie D Hale, born 1st Aug 1892 in Marion, Morgan, Ohio to Charles W Hale and Elen Croston (that's how it's written on the index record).
In 1900 she's 7, with parents, and siblings in Marion - whole family listed as black. Charles is a farmer. In 1910 Charles is widowed, Mattie is listed as Martha D, 17 and there's also George E Hale, 5 months. (I found the index to his birth). None of her siblings are there, so it's likely George is Mattie/Martha's child. They're still living at the same place. Listed as mulatto. Charles is a fruit farmer on his own account.

I thought I might find Mattie/Martha in 1920 by tracking down George - but so far no luck. I haven't found a death record for her either (at least, not before Gilbert Gratton married Minnie Runyan).

Thanks for your continuing interest!

Old 01-14-2016, 06:27 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
Frances E. Croston Hale (1852 - 1909) - Find A Grave Memorial

Here's Frances E Croston Hale's entry. Includes her portrait & another of male who appears to be Charles.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:04 PM

Thank you for that info, historyfan. I've zipped off an email to the great-grandchild of Frances' son George Calvin Hale (he/she has their email address listed on findagrave) - so hopefully he/she will know what happened to Mattie/Martha and will reply in due course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy