Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 07:41 PM

661 posts, read 879,987 times

Advertisements

FTDNA changed my results again....oh well.
Here are my new results:
European 46%
New World 28%
Middle Eastern 13%
African 8%
Jewish Diaspora 2%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 08:34 PM

14,770 posts, read 8,101,600 times
Most of my family were originally from Great Britain, Germany or Ireland.
Received dna match back from Ancestry today and it was pretty much as expected (except for the last two - the low confidence ones).
Great Britain 44 percent
West Europe 42 percent
Ireland 9 percent

Low confidence regions
Finland/NW Russia 4 percent
Scandinavia 1 percent

Old 07-18-2017, 08:55 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,162,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
I get eastern euro results in all tests,I have no known Eastern European ancestry but German ancestry.A lot of areas of Germany use to be Poland.Im pretty sure it's polish ancestry.

I had a dream related to it long before I took the tests,I was in a German village of my ancestors and they told me if I caught the plane back in time I'd be in Poland.

See our ancestors communicate with us through dreams and not just DNA tests.
I can't explain it but I agree. DNA memory is real.

I had a DNA relative at 23andMe who was happy to find me as a black person. Her daughter only played with black dolls and insisted that she, herself, was black.

We didn't find a common African connection until we got results for the mom's racist father. OOPS! And it was on X Chromosome for the father and daughter. Granddaughter knew her stuff and her people.

You never know what you will find with these tests.

Last edited by CMichele; 07-18-2017 at 09:03 PM..

Old 07-18-2017, 11:04 PM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
My ancestors from Pomerania were German in every possible way except DNA which was a mix but largely Eastern European with a little bit of Scandinavian. The home area was a little west of Gdansk, or Danzig as they knew it. This was part of the Hanseatic League's trading network so all sorts of people were coming and going...adding to the mix. German-ness transcends DNA. A lot of people were Germanized even though they were Slavic or Balkan or whatever. My surname comes from western Germany close to the Netherlands but not much of that DNA persists.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:46 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,335,480 times
Yes in Africa the idea that we are the reincarnation of certain ancestors is really strong,within my own tribe.But there is the idea of epigenetics and genetic memory.

That's an interesting story about the little girl who liked black things,for me it was always Russian things even studied russian studies at uni,and I had no known Russian ancestry at all, but it showed up in my DNA tests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
I can't explain it but I agree. DNA memory is real.

I had a DNA relative at 23andMe who was happy to find me as a black person. Her daughter only played with black dolls and insisted that she, herself, was black.

We didn't find a common African connection until we got results for the mom's racist father. OOPS! And it was on X Chromosome for the father and daughter. Granddaughter knew her stuff and her people.

You never know what you will find with these tests.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:20 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,162,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
Yes in Africa the idea that we are the reincarnation of certain ancestors is really strong,within my own tribe.But there is the idea of epigenetics and genetic memory.

That's an interesting story about the little girl who liked black things,for me it was always Russian things even studied russian studies at uni,and I had no known Russian ancestry at all, but it showed up in my DNA tests.
I have memories of some things that I found the source after doing DNA testing. It's very interesting.

My 23andMe cousin did the test just because she was curious about her young daughter's fascination with black and African theme ideas. She found the African on her X Chromosome, thinking that it was her mother.

It was so funny to both of us to find her racist father was the source, which means his mother had some African ancestry. Imagine that? And these people were not long ago slaveholders. They were second generation in here in the US.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:29 AM

23,865 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
I have memories of some things that I found the source after doing DNA testing. It's very interesting.

My 23andMe cousin did the test just because she was curious about her young daughter's fascination with black and African theme ideas. She found the African on her X Chromosome, thinking that it was her mother.

It was so funny to both of us to find her racist father was the source, which means his mother had some African ancestry. Imagine that? And these people were not long ago slaveholders. They were second generation in here in the US.
Have you seen Liv Tyler's episode of Who Do You Think You Are? If not, I suggest you watch it. Her father Steven Tyler (Aerosmith) wasn't always a singer, he was a drummer 1st. He said he's always had a connection to African American people but didn't know why. It turns out his mixed few times great grandfather was a very important drummer.

George Washington Elliott find a grave

Liv Tyler discovers a biracial relative and a Civil War ancestor on Who Do You Think You Are?

Quote:
Liv Tyler and her famous father Steven traced their surprising ancestry on the ninth season finale of TLC's Who Do You Think You Are? airing this Monday.

In the minute-long preview, the 39-year-old SAG Award winner said she was on the genealogy series to uncover the mystery of her paternal grandmother Susan Blancha's maternal line.

When the Lord of the Rings alum found out she had a half African-American relative, the 69-year-old rocker gave her a high five and said: 'Haha, I knew it! I'm so loving this. It explains it.'

Liv Tyler – Who Do You Think You Are – “Drummer Boy”

Quote:
Liv focuses on her father’s family line. Her father is Steve Tyler of Aerosmith. Liv’s family has been immersed in music as far back as she knows.

Liv begins her journey with a genealogist who was able to extend her family back several generations, to her great-great-great-grandfather, Robert Elliott who they found on the 1860 census in New York as a shoemaker.

Coming forward another decade to the 1870 census, Liv discovered something in the race column of the 1870 census that did not match the 1860 census – spawning questions that many of us have experienced as well....

....Liv discovers that Robert served in the War of 1812, as a drummer boy.

I had absolutely no idea about the role that drummers played in early wars, the War of 1812 as well as the Civil War.

Last edited by Roselvr; 07-22-2017 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: Added George Washington Elliott's find a grave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy