Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 06:51 AM

1 posts, read 4,846 times

Advertisements

...since their ancestors came To US as german citizens from ethnic slavic families from current Poland,czechoslovak republik,Hungary and Ukraine cause at the time those countries didnt exist and were part of german Empire ?

Old 02-14-2016, 06:57 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,667,615 times
NO. It's not true. Americans are a blend of heritage from different times, different regions, different reasons. You cannot lump "Americans are such and such because.....".

Old 02-14-2016, 10:37 AM

54 posts, read 76,970 times
One side of mine came from Prussia, which is now part of Northern Poland, the other came from the Bremen/Bremerhaven area of Germany.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:25 AM

15,966 posts, read 10,526,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkjhgfdsa1984 View Post
You must dont know the history of US immigration

"German American" is a mix that includes just about everyone who ever marched across western and central Europe. Additionally, German settlement areas in Russia and all across the southern edge of the Baltic Sea had contact with different groups that we would not consider German but more Slavic, Finnish, Magyar, Mongol and Balkan. Once in the US there would be more mixing.

My "German" DNA is laced with minor traces of Kashub, Balkan, French and Ukrainian. Just the German ancestors that I know of were from Hinter Pomerania, Darmstadt, Hanover, Bavaria, and East Frisia. Some of them probably could not understand the other's dialect.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:57 AM

964 posts, read 987,097 times
Quote:
So there are more than 70 millions slavic Americans and zero true "german Americans " like i said before ?
No. Why wouldn't there be any "true" German-Americans? Germans aren't Slavs, and there are many German tribes, even today: Saxons, Bavarians, Swabians, etc. Many Americans can trace their ancestry back to specific towns in those regions. It's bizarre to characterize all German-Americans as Slavs.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:18 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,288,552 times
People came to America from a wide variety of German regions at different time periods. "Germany" is *NOT* historically what you see the nation today and the old Germanic tribes provided genetic input for most if not all of Europe.

If you are thinking of only Germanic tribes then all of Europe is part German. Continental Europeans have been living next to eachother and migrating within eachother's regions for so long the DNA is heavily intermixed. There's no such thing as a single German ethnic or genetic profile.

On top of that Germans came from all over Germany/Prussia to America. The only immigrant ancestors I have that aren't colonial Americans is a single couple that came from the Kingdom of Prussia in the 1840s. One of them was born in Gerterode Prussia now Germany:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerterode

Not Poland... in fact as you can see it's right smack in the middle of modern Germany. With that said modern Germans and modern Polish share much DNA.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:23 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,288,552 times
Quote:
German people never emigrated from their territories those who went To America , and for America i mean not only the US but the whole continent were slavic people who lived in territories that were part of german Empire and they were german citizens , also i know many "german American" and they all have slavic facial and phisical feauter like slant eyes ,high cheekbones and tall height while when i went To Germany none of the people i met who claimed german ethnicity didnt look at all slavic but celtic and were not tall
I'm getting a strong racist vibe from you... I hope i'm wrong.

You definitely don't understand ethnicities, physical features, or US Immigration history. For one those who came to American intermixed with a variety of other ethnic backgrounds. If someones great grandparent were from Germany but all ancestry from elsewhere that came to the us that person would only be 1/8th german, so obviously won't look like someone living in Germany now. Also it depends on where you go in Germany, Germany has had so much migration and intermixing that unless you go to a very non-public and isolated location you won't see anyone that doesn't have heavy intermixed DNA. Even though isolated people will likely only be isolated genetically for a couple hundred years or so at most.

Also personal anecdotal experience of people you met who said they were German looked a certain way is the worst sort of analysis to do lol.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:55 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,720,839 times
Quote:
You are wrong german europeans doesnt look slavic at all they are short and with Celtic looks while german Americans have slavic looks: tall height, high cheekbones, slant eyes.
My maternal ancestors came from Germany in the late 1800s. My maternal grandparents were both first generation American born. I have all the paperwork somewhere...I had a family member who dug up all the geneology stuff, and I am the recipient. I am short. I have no cheekbones - in fact, I have a rather round face. I certainly do not have "slant" eyes.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:55 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,505,565 times
Quote:
...since their ancestors came To US as german citizens from ethnic slavic families from current Poland,czechoslovak republik,Hungary and Ukraine cause at the time those countries didnt exist and were part of german Empire ?
No, not true. My grandmother was born in a very small village in Germany....it has been in Germany for centuries.

I have a Polish great grandmother who came from Poland.

Both of these woman came here in the 1900's. My German grandmother came here during WWII.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:27 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,416,573 times
My German grandmother came from an area called Gottschee--ethnically German, settled in the 1300's or so from I believe the Tyrol area of then-Germany. They and their language stayed fairly pure and was considered one of the oldest known German dialects.

My grandfather was Slovenian, descended from Slavs that may have come from further east--there's two types of Russian in my DNA, and some historians say many Slavs have Russian in them.

Since both areas they came from are in current-day Slovenia, I generally claim Slovenian as my background. Or German/Slovenian as I pretty much look 100% German peasant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.