Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 05:45 PM

661 posts, read 879,358 times

Advertisements

My Ancestry DNA shows I am 17% Italian/Greece and is because my grandparents are Italians.
In regards to the question on why Irish people have italian or greece DNA, is because Europe was created by waves of people moving from one side to another, think about the first human waves coming from the Middle East, the same way we see in the news today, a wave of refugees walking from Turkey and Syria into Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 01:53 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,467,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
My Ancestry DNA shows I am 17% Italian/Greece and is because my grandparents are Italians.
In regards to the question on why Irish people have italian or greece DNA, is because Europe was created by waves of people moving from one side to another, think about the first human waves coming from the Middle East, the same way we see in the news today, a wave of refugees walking from Turkey and Syria into Europe.
I don't think the question was why Irish people have Italian or Greek DNA because they generally don't. It would be highly unusual. The poster was just querying about their Italian/Greek result and another poster mentioned about Irish people matching with Southern Europe / Iberian and I just commented that this was not particularly common in results of people that are from Ireland. Alandros explains this as well. Most Americans have much more varied dna results than what an Irish person would get which makes perfect sense as well. There are just some misconceptions that people have that can set them looking at the wrong ancestors in trying to explain their results.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:33 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,978,035 times
What does "Irish" actually mean on Ancestry Dna? I want to get round to doing this eventually. I would be doing it though, to find out what my genetic make up is in regards to specific countries.

I have Scotch Irish ancestry so it might show a certain percentage of British Ancestry.

It's a pity AncestryDna doesn't split the British DNA into England, Scotland, Wales or at least gives a location in Britain where you're family comes from. I would like to have seen if I had any English or Welsh ancestry. Has anyone with Scotch Irish ancestry done this test?

I'd love to tie down where exactly in Scotland my family came from.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
The Iberian DNA input is far beyond the scope of most autosomal admixture results in my opinion. Keep in mind that last chart posted is the percentage of native Ireland people who have other regions, not the amount of other regions they have... They actually have both less frequency of people with Irberian DNA than Great Britain *and* a lower percentage of average Iberian DNA.

The typical Ireland native on AncestryDNA's reference has 95% Irish DNA... extremely high compared to most other population references.
I don't see myself getting 95% Irish somehow. Maybe 40%.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
What does "Irish" actually mean on Ancestry Dna? I want to get round to doing this eventually. I would be doing it though, to find out what my genetic make up is in regards to specific countries.

I have Scotch Irish ancestry so it might show a certain percentage of British Ancestry.

It's a pity AncestryDna doesn't split the British DNA into England, Scotland, Wales or at least gives a location in Britain where you're family comes from. I would like to have seen if I had any English or Welsh ancestry. Has anyone with Scotch Irish ancestry done this test?

I'd love to tie down where exactly in Scotland my family came from.
The Ireland category reaches a maximum in Ireland. This is what Ancestry says:

Ireland
Primarily located in: Ireland, Wales, Scotland

Also found in: France, England

The only company that claims to be able to be more specific about regions in Britain is LivingDNA as they are using the dataset from the People of the British Isles. No other DNA company has been able to be that specific as the DNA is too similar.

"Your family ancestry broken down across up to 80 worldwide regions including 21 regions in the British Isles. Three times the detail of other tests."

Here's the link for LivingDNA

https://www.livingdna.com/en-au/ancestry

Last edited by Bernie20; 12-21-2016 at 09:50 AM..

Old 12-21-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
I don't see myself getting 95% Irish somehow. Maybe 40%.
It would be difficult to predict without getting a test but if you are mainly of Scottish ancestry you will get a lot of the Ireland component in your results.

This is where the Great Britain component is found.

Great Britain
Primarily located in: England, Scotland, Wales

Also found in: Ireland, France, Germany, Denmark, Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland, Austria, Italy

Ancestry are saying they will be getting rid of the Great Britain component and amalgamate it with Europe West because they are too similar.

There is a lot of crossover in these dna results as they are not specific to just one country.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:35 PM

Thanks.

I don't expect 0% Irish ancestry, that's not what my point was.. I was only surmising that my Irish genetic results would probably be noticeably lower than 95%.

The Scottish ancestry I think is from the borders region/Northern England. Common names in my family tree include: Sinclair, Irwin , Smith, Thomson, Black etc. I don't see any Gallowglass type names in that side of my family tree.

Anyway, I don't mind, i'm just doing the test to see what results appear and how diluted the components are in my lineage. I imagine most of my ancestry will be Irish, albiet diluted? I wouldn't be surprised to find foreign heritage with my grandfather/aunts Mediterranean looks.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
The Ireland category reaches a maximum in Ireland. This is what Ancestry says:

Ireland
Primarily located in: Ireland, Wales, Scotland

Also found in: France, England

The only company that claims to be able to be more specific about regions in Britain is LivingDNA as they are using the dataset from the People of the British Isles. No other DNA company has been able to be that specific as the DNA is too similar.

"Your family ancestry broken down across up to 80 worldwide regions including 21 regions in the British Isles. Three times the detail of other tests."

Here's the link for LivingDNA

https://www.livingdna.com/en-au/ancestry
So would I be better off doing that so as to seperate out my ancestry from the British Isles???

Old 12-21-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
So would I be better off doing that so as to seperate out my ancestry from the British Isles???
Yes I think for anyone with only known British Isles ancestry LivingDNA would be the best if they want to know if they are mainly Scottish or Welsh etc. They are a new company and results won't start coming through from people tested until January so it should be interesting to see these results and what sort of Ancestry Composition they get. LivingDNA are also using the most up to date chip to test. They also say they can tell you who your ancestors were back in time.

You can read more about it here.

Cruwys news: Living DNA – a new genetic ancestry test providing comparisons with the People of the British Isles dataset

Old 12-21-2016, 10:36 PM

Thanks, Bernie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy