Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 11:49 PM

30,366 posts, read 19,156,062 times

Advertisements

I have been told that I'm 1/32 native American....not confirmed. I would like to do a DNA test at some point to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 06:45 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
Roots on my father's mother's side going back to colonial New England, 0% Asian genes here, too. I have more Neanderthal in my past than native American.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:18 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,052,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
In New Mexico where I'm from and among the Hispanic families who have been in the area for a long time, it's safe to say that there has been a lot of intermingling between Native Americans and Hispanics over the past several hundred years. My dad did his DNA test last year and was rather surprised that the results showed him with 30% Native American blood. He does not look it, can't recall anybody in his family history having ever married a Native American. But his family line has been in the Southwest and Mexico for a few hundred years, so certainly there must have been a lot of interbreeding.
That is very interesting. 30% is very high to have no knowledge. It is a percent you would expect if there was an almost full blooded parent or a full blooded grandparent and another partial grand parent. Is there a chance he is adopted or has a different parent than what he is told? Getting his other relatives tested could be very interesting.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:34 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
That is very interesting. 30% is very high to have no knowledge. It is a percent you would expect if there was an almost full blooded parent or a full blooded grandparent and another partial grand parent. Is there a chance he is adopted or has a different parent than what he is told? Getting his other relatives tested could be very interesting.
It stands to reason that if your family has been on the North American continent for several hundred years that at least one or more family members would have mated with a native American. In the early colonial years and especially true for Spanish Mexico and the US SW, there were very few European women settlers so intermarriage (and rape) were quite common.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:03 AM

50 posts, read 47,681 times
Many of us hear family stories of Native American ancestry, I think.
I sure did, and that it was shameful to admit back in the day, so it wasn't officially 'claimed'. Surprising and interesting to find my DNA proved out 99% European with only 1% other, namely African; no DNA link at all to any Asian or Native American.

If you're curious about yourself, DNA testing is not so terribly expensive anymore.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:33 AM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
If we're talking about the thirteen original colonies, intermarriage was actually illegal for the most part. It gets complicated but there was some intermarriage between blacks and Native Americans--because Native American men were killed off in the numerous wars with Whites. There was a shortage of Native American men. You could find blacks intermarried with Native Americans and living with them and in very early days you could find a few white fur traders married and living with the Native Americans, reason being that they wanted to solidify their fur trading ambitions.

What ever became of these families? How would their descendants self identify today?

Old 03-04-2016, 10:22 AM

40 posts, read 45,588 times
Settled in 1766 in South Carolina, ancestry.com DNA test says all my ancestry comes from Europe.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:36 PM

6,341 posts, read 11,087,268 times
Stumbled upon this topic by accident. I'm originally from Connecticut.

This guy is my 10th Uncle from my Father's side.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George...ower_passenger)

According to Ancestry.com, also on my Father's side I am also directly related to Sam Adams (cousin several times removed of course) as well as a number of Presidents including William Howard Taft (4th cousin).

No Native American blood that we can see in our family at least according to Ancestry.com.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:37 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
I hear it wasn't uncommon for marriages to happen between someone who was white and the other being Native American. Obviously not every white person married a Native American, but it's always possible they married someone who was a 1/4 Native American for example. How likely are you to have even a tiny bit of Native American blood if you are descended from colonists?
Personally there's never been a "Native" american. They came from up north (Land bridge) and thus began to populate the north american continent.

That being said there's some mixing of races (via kidnapping and assimilation into the tribe) Quanah Parker is an example. His mother was taken a nine in a raid, assimilated into the tribe and gave birth to him.

Many other examples exist...

Old 03-04-2016, 12:50 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,983 times
All my European ancestors have been here for at least 250-300 years... possibly a bit longer. They took the Southern route of settlement. I first took a DNA test with Nat'l Geographic's Geno 2.0 Project. Its showed nothing but European. Apparently they're pretty conservative and if something comes up with less than 2% they won't even list it since they can't be sure its significant. My total with them was 97% European with 3% unassigned. I then took the 23andMe test and it again showed 97% European, but now with 1.9% Asian/Native American and 1% West African.

When I change the confidence level from the standard speculative (50%) down to conservative (90%) the 1% African disappears and the Asian/NA drops to .9%. What little I know about statistics is that if a confidence level is less than 95% the result usually isn't considered reliable (in other words the standard 50% confidence just wouldn't cut it). I don't know what to think between the two tests.

Regardless, my family thought they were much more Native American (like 1/8) than we potentially are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy