Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 03:29 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,079 posts, read 30,387,317 times

Advertisements

Ever just browse the occupations in a census? Can be very interesting.

I'll start. Please feel free to add one to guess or tell us about interesting occupations you've come across in your research of any source.
--

Cordwainer

Spoiler
A shoemaker. I've read that the name is from the kind of leather from Cordoba, Spain, and (or?) that cordwainers made new shoes while cobblers repaired them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 03:42 PM

451 posts, read 1,324,395 times
Perhaps, my response will be a little different as my ancestry is not European, but East Asian. And our family names may not derive from the occupation. I am Taiwanese-American. However, the first person from my father's side of the family moved to Taiwan from Longxi County (now Longwen District), Zhangzhou prefecture, Fujian Province, China to Taiwan. This is per an "ancestry tablet" (our genealogy record) our family has and also we have a painting of my ancestry from my father's side of the family to move to Taiwan. Thus, that would make him my 5x great grandfather. He was a Qing Dynasty imperial military scholar. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qing_dynasty He had the military version of the "juren" 舉人 degree or called a "wujuren" 武舉人 See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperi...n#Degree_types and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperi...y_examinations Thus, he was supposedly a provincial military court official or bureaucrat.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:34 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,851,625 times
How about egg candler?

Sorry - don't know how to set up the "spoiler" thing. LOL

Old 03-08-2016, 09:53 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
How about egg candler?

Sorry - don't know how to set up the "spoiler" thing. LOL
My older cousin used to candle the eggs for my grandfather. It meant that she would hold a candle up to the egg to see if it was fertile. I can only remember my grandfather's hen house and gathering the eggs to take into the house

A cordwainer was a shoe maker.

What is a cooper?

Old 03-08-2016, 10:09 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Cooper: barrel maker

What is a wainwright?

Old 03-09-2016, 06:20 AM

Wainwright: wagon maker

What did someone do if their job was tatting?
(I couldn't find tatter as a occupation name, but that would seem to be the word.)

Old 03-09-2016, 09:17 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
I have tons of women in my lines who are listed as milliners. The husband or father was head of household and had a trade or was a farmer, but the wives and teenage and adult daughters were milliners. I guess they did hat making and hat "trimming" out of their homes for extra money.

I have a whole line of people from Leicester England who were frame work knitters.

These were skilled tradesmen who operated special machines to make stockings.

I have shoemakers from Germany and men in my Swedish line listed as "skomak" which is also a shoemaker.

Note: the show/hide button is not working to do a "spoiler." This has been a problem for several months now.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

(I couldn't find tatter as a occupation name, but that would seem to be the word.)
Or to put this more clearly, what were they making?

Old 03-09-2016, 09:32 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

Tatting is a type of fancy lacemaking...it is hand work.

I know what that type of lace looks like, but I do not know how to do it.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:38 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
I have quite a few male ancestors who were listed as a "drayman" which was a delivery man.

I did a transcription of our local areas early census records in relation to black Americans in our city and I have never been able to find out what a "recef" is. Maybe someone knows. I had an ancestor listed as a "recef" as well.

I have also seen a "gurny" which I believe was someone who carried stuff around, but I'm not sure.

And I have seen "teamster" listed as an occupation as well. I'm familiar with the teamster union but never knew teamster was an occupation. They were men who drove a wagon as well. From what I have found, a drayman was usually a delivery man for a business and a teamster was a more long journey with more animals to drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy