Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 01:05 PM

29 posts, read 31,474 times

Advertisements

My Haynes ancestors are of German descent. I have traced my 3rd great grandfather back as far as 1810 census, and I note that the surname was also sometimes spelled, Haines. The versions of the spelling of both Haynes and Haines are the ENGLISH way of spelling the surname. I am curious if anyone knows what the GERMAN original spelling would be. I have been stuck with my research and cannot get past my 3rd great grandfather who was according to census documents born about 1791 in NY state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 01:35 PM

37,112 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Spelling variations: Hinse, Hi - Genealogy.com

Old 03-10-2016, 02:58 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times
My best guess would be Heinz.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:10 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,387,317 times
Maybe a version of Hagen? Based on Y and G being interchangeable in really old spellings.

Ancestry's name meanings, doesn't say it's German: Haynes Name Meaning & Haynes Family History at Ancestry.com

Many names underwent some sort of adaptation though. If Haynes was inspired by an originally German name it could be difficult or impossible to guess what it might be. Maybe the paper trail will reveal something.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:13 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
It's probably Heins or Heinz but there's no way to know for sure until you find it in a document. Immigrants could Anglicize their names however they wanted. Typically, they chose the closest English version, which for Heinz or Heins would most likely be Haynes/Haines, but there could be other similar German surnames that might have anglicized to Haynes.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
That's a new angle, I'll explore it. Thank you

Old 03-11-2016, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
My best guess would be Heinz.
This is what I thought early in my research but I've not found anything yet.

I've always believed that my Haynes German ancestors may have come here as either 1)indentured servants of British during the Revolution 2)Hetian (sp) soldiers during the Revolution. My 3rd ggrandfather was born about 1791 in New York state, which leads me to believe that his father was born in the 1770's. and obviously too young to be a Revolutionary soldier.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
It's probably Heins or Heinz but there's no way to know for sure until you find it in a document. Immigrants could Anglicize their names however they wanted. Typically, they chose the closest English version, which for Heinz or Heins would most likely be Haynes/Haines, but there could be other similar German surnames that might have anglicized to Haynes.

I think you are right. It's finding the document part of the equation that is frustrating. The documents would be from 1700's is my guess. My 3rd g grandfather was born about 1791 in NY state, so somehow I would have to find that trail. I feel like I've explored all the obvious routes like Ancestry.com, Family Search, ect. have not found any family trees with this line of William Haynes born 1791 who married Rebecca Stanton born 1793. Married 1809 in Mt. Pleasant, Wayne, Pa. Have lots of info on Stanton side.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Maybe a version of Hagen? Based on Y and G being interchangeable in really old spellings.

Ancestry's name meanings, doesn't say it's German: Haynes Name Meaning & Haynes Family History at Ancestry.com

Many names underwent some sort of adaptation though. If Haynes was inspired by an originally German name it could be difficult or impossible to guess what it might be. Maybe the paper trail will reveal something.
I'll try Hagen, thank you.

Yes, I belong to Ancestry and have seen the English version.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:12 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,802,734 times
I found many of my wife's German ancestors in Pennsylvania through church records. Many of those are on Ancestry but I don't know about New York's. There are also a few books of immigrant records of Germans and Swiss to Pennsylvania. You might check for such New York items.

These reference go with Hagne or Hagano:
Surname Database: Haynes Last Name Origin
Haynes Family History | Find Genealogy Records & Family Crest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy