Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 05:59 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeblookingfromFH View Post
I can't afford to keep paying all these ancestors sites

I don't know if she was born in Ohio but they moved here
And she was adopted from Cleveland Protestant Orphanage Asylum
As a infant or small child

I remember hearing they thought her birth name may
have been Bessie
But not sure how true that is
You can email me
Debbiea 001 at yahoo
Do you know why she may have been given up for adoption? Do you have a copy of her amended birth certificate, or any documents that are from her birth/adoption??

This may be nothing, but there is a Thelma Palmer that was born in Akron, OH on July 9, 1902. Interestingly enough, there are no names of either parent on the card. There is a date at the bottom of the card that shows July 1, 1903. Also indicates something that I think I figured out what it may be PTS.RES.AKRON, OH. = parents resident of Akron, Oh. Even the birth register is blank, no names of parents.

Yet, on another record, Summit County Misc Birth Records I found the birth index listing, same name, same birthdate. But, on the adjoining page there are two names, S.H. Pitkin for the father, and Mary J Miller for the mother. There is an address of 926 Peckham. This information was crossed out with a pencil, it looks like. Two lines below that is an entry that has the same father's name of S.H. Pitkin with a different mother's name, different address, 682 W Market St. Childs name is Grace Pitkin, born Feb 8, 1903. Mother's name appears to also be Grace as well.

I know there can be errors in records, but I think this may be worth looking in to, especially since you've hit a dead end.

Also, I see the 1900 census with your Grandparents names listed, and I see the 1910 Census, but the only child I see is listed as a grandchild named Margherite Young, being 5 years old in 1910. I don't see your GM. I'm guessing they adopted her after 1910.

You may want to see if you can look on Ancestry and see if you can find any of those names, Pitkin, Miller, etc living on either Peckham or Market streets, the 2 streets I found listed.

Not going to edit the above, but adding, as I just found something and from what you have posted, I would definitely look in to this...

I found a S.H. Pitkin in the 1900 census, wife's name is Bessie A. and they live on W. Market. Either the birth records are so messed up, or something else was going on. The S. stands for Stephen H. Pitkin, Bessie A. I believe is for Bessie H. Alexander. They live in the same place in the 1910 census.

Again, this may be nothing at all, but if you do find there is some link, there is a lot more info on this family on Ancestry. I won't look any further, just in case this is a dead lead.

I don't know if this site would provide any added info, but give it a look.

https://sites.google.com/site/clevel...jects/adoption

Please let me know what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 11:03 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Hope everyone doesn't mind, I want to bring all the posts down so it's easier to reference. She also posted in another thread so want to bring that here too.

New TV show about adoptees uses Ancestry.com to find birth parents - link
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieA-2016 View Post
I have had ancestry site 2 years never could find adoption
Info about my grandmother
Granted she was born 1902
I have a ton of info and still hit dead ends
I let my ancestry unrenew this year
DebbieA
Quote:
I have hit so many dead ends. My grandmother was born July 9 1902 her adopted name was Thelma st Clair Zell.
Her adopted parents were Fred and Minnie ( young) Zell
They gave her st Clair as middle name as a hint to her adoption.
I was also told she was at Protestant Cleveland orphans asylum.
Which was on st Clair Avenue in Cleveland ohio
It's now called beechbrook still in Cleveland ohio
I spoke to them was told I could get info if I knew her birt name or her biological parents name
Can't find any info anyplace

Need help
She grew up in Youngstown ohio
So did I
She passed away in 1996
I have tried so many web sites
Paid and free and am stuck.
Any help please would be great
Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
I searched Ancestry's
Ohio, Births and Christenings Index

for females born July 9 1902. There are eight. Only one has no father's name listed, only the mother's name.
Name: Badner
Race: White
Birth Date: 9 Jul 1902
Birth Place: Cleveland, Cuyahoga, Ohio
Father:
Mother: Agnes Badner
FHL Film Number: 1852604

This is assuming a lot, i.e. that your gm's birthdate is accurate, that she really was born in Ohio, that her mom was single (assuming that this transcription is even accurate or that her bio mom was actually single.) Any of these can be false leads.

I tried searching for further info on the mother, Agnes Badner and found nothing, although there seemed to be a few people with that surname living in both Youngstown & Cleveland.

Have you ever done a DNA test? If someone from Thelma's bio family also happened to do DNA than you might get a match. You may have to test with more than one company.
If she wants to try DNA, I have some free DNA sites that she can upload her DNA. I can put her in touch with DNA adoption advocates that will help her with with the whole process to try to get a match.

We did our DNA, some lady in her 60's matched my son's DNA 3rd cousin I think. I've built up my tree and believe I found the family link, she just has to find info on them in England. Her mother got pregnant with her while not married. Her mothers parents wanted her to adopt the baby out, she left, never spoke to them again. She never gave the fathers name to her daughter.

Quote:
Quote:
Hello I will check out this info. I cannot drive back and forth to
Columbus I have a bone disease was there a few months ago,
and they looked at me like I was crazy.

Had Grandmothers death certificate from 1996
And my birth certificate and my mothers who is also
deceased got nothing but attitude from them in Columbus

I would love more info on DNA sites
Still looking. For grandmothers birth name
I can't afford to keep paying all these ancestors sites

I don't know if she was born in Ohio but they moved here
And she was adopted from Cleveland Protestant Orphanage Asylum
As a infant or small child

I remember hearing they thought her birth name may
have been Bessie
But not sure how true that is
You can email me
Debbiea 001 at yahoo
Sorry to hear you're in bad health, mine isn't good either so I understand.
Have you done your DNA? It's very easy to download your raw results then upload to the free databases I have, then go to the yahoo DNA groups where they have "angels" that will help you.

DNA Searches - There are groups of DNA search angels who will help you and educate you on how this works so you can then help others. People are finding their relatives every single week. Do Ancestry or 23andme.com and once you have those results, save the raw file to upload to FTDNA.com for about $99 and to GEDmatch - gedmatch.com and DNA Tools - dnagedcom.com both free. See the DNA adoption Yahoo Groups below where the DNA search angels are to give you help.

*Note - FTDNA does not support uploads from Ancestry DNA raw file. I have not done this myself yet but I believe the work around may be to upload the raw file to GED Match; then save that raw file to upload to FTDNA.

Ancestry

23andme - has $99 Ancestry or $199 Health/Ancestry DNA tests

FTDNA

GED Match- FREE Tools for DNA and Genealogy Research *Note; some of site down

DNA Tools FREE - has all of the links you'll need

DNA adoption Yahoo Groups

adoption DNA Yahoo Groups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Do you know why she may have been given up for adoption? Do you have a copy of her amended birth certificate, or any documents that are from her birth/adoption??

This may be nothing, but there is a Thelma Palmer that was born in Akron, OH on July 9, 1902. Interestingly enough, there are no names of either parent on the card. There is a date at the bottom of the card that shows July 1, 1903. Also indicates something that I think I figured out what it may be PTS.RES.AKRON, OH. = parents resident of Akron, Oh. Even the birth register is blank, no names of parents.

Yet, on another record, Summit County Misc Birth Records I found the birth index listing, same name, same birthdate. But, on the adjoining page there are two names, S.H. Pitkin for the father, and Mary J Miller for the mother. There is an address of 926 Peckham. This information was crossed out with a pencil, it looks like. Two lines below that is an entry that has the same father's name of S.H. Pitkin with a different mother's name, different address, 682 W Market St. Childs name is Grace Pitkin, born Feb 8, 1903. Mother's name appears to also be Grace as well.

I know there can be errors in records, but I think this may be worth looking in to, especially since you've hit a dead end.

Also, I see the 1900 census with your Grandparents names listed, and I see the 1910 Census, but the only child I see is listed as a grandchild named Margherite Young, being 5 years old in 1910. I don't see your GM. I'm guessing they adopted her after 1910.

You may want to see if you can look on Ancestry and see if you can find any of those names, Pitkin, Miller, etc living on either Peckham or Market streets, the 2 streets I found listed.

Not going to edit the above, but adding, as I just found something and from what you have posted, I would definitely look in to this...

I found a S.H. Pitkin in the 1900 census, wife's name is Bessie A. and they live on W. Market. Either the birth records are so messed up, or something else was going on. The S. stands for Stephen H. Pitkin, Bessie A. I believe is for Bessie H. Alexander. They live in the same place in the 1910 census.

Again, this may be nothing at all, but if you do find there is some link, there is a lot more info on this family on Ancestry. I won't look any further, just in case this is a dead lead.

I also found this - Genealogy Today Table of Contents - Orphanage Records 2 records -
Cleveland Protestant Orphan Asylum 1902 Report
Cleveland Protestant Orphan Asylum 1907 Report

Old 12-05-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:

DNA Searches - There are groups of DNA search angels who will help you and educate you on how this works so you can then help others. People are finding their relatives every single week. Do Ancestry or 23andme.com and once you have those results, save the raw file to upload to FTDNA.com for about $99 and to GEDmatch - gedmatch.com and DNA Tools - dnagedcom.com both free. See the DNA adoption Yahoo Groups below where the DNA search angels are to give you help.

*Note - FTDNA does not support uploads from Ancestry DNA raw file. I have not done this myself yet but I believe the work around may be to upload the raw file to GED Match; then save that raw file to upload to FTDNA.

Ancestry

23andme - has $99 Ancestry or $199 Health/Ancestry DNA tests

FTDNA

GED Match- FREE Tools for DNA and Genealogy Research *Note; some of site down

DNA Tools FREE - has all of the links you'll need

DNA adoption Yahoo Groups

adoption DNA Yahoo Groups
I got an email today from Family Tree DNA they're having a 7 day sale but you need a coupon code. I joined their site a few months ago. There may be one online if anyone is interested. You can't beat $59. Ancestry was $69 last week.
Family Tree DNA sale -
Family Finder $99 $59
mtDNA Plus $79
mtFull Sequence $199 $179
Y-DNA111 - males only $359 $319
Y-DNA37 - males only $169 $139
Y-DNA67 - males only $268 $229

Old 12-05-2016, 02:17 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
Quote:
Hope everyone doesn't mind, I want to bring all the posts down so it's easier to reference. She also posted in another thread so want to bring that here too.

I also found this - Genealogy Today Table of Contents - Orphanage Records 2 records -
Cleveland Protestant Orphan Asylum 1902 Report
Cleveland Protestant Orphan Asylum 1907 Report
Thanks for posting that. I actually had that and another record I found but computer froze and I lost it, hadn't been able to get back on computer til now. Happy someone else found this info to post.

I have p/m'ed OP, and sent an email, no reply yet.

Here's an addition, though it is form 1919:

Children and Youth in History | 1919 Cleveland Protestant Orphan Asylum Annual Report [Official Document]

I also found a site that has the listing of holdings of all the annual reports from this institution. I can't find it again, and since my computer froze, I don't have it in my history. If it can be found, maybe the OP can call and someone could be kind enough to try to help in her search.

I'm surprised that the current staff won't give the OP the information. I'm sure they could look up the information, with a little bit of effort and desire to do so.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:30 AM

3 posts, read 2,990 times
Update: I am still looking. Did the ancestry dna found a couple relatives but no link so maybe she is the link. Again I spoke to Orphanage and was told they have records but I must know Thelma St Clair Zella birth name to get any info.

Any ideas how to find out a birth name?

She appears in the 1920 census of the Zell family but was not in 1910 census so clearly she was a child to teen when adopted.

Anygelp would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Deborah Andio

Old 04-11-2018, 04:41 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Update: I am still looking. Did the ancestry dna found a couple relatives but no link so maybe she is the link.
Take the closest relative you think is from your grandmother's side, look at the "shared matches" for that relative. Compare the family trees of that relative and any "shared matches" - if any of them have an ancestor they share, that's possibly your ancestor too, or a close relative of your ancestor. Build a tree for that ancestor, looking for people who match the right time, place, age of your grandmother's parents. Now do the same process with another group of matches, looking for descendants who descend from both ancestors.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Update: I am still looking. Did the ancestry dna found a couple relatives but no link so maybe she is the link. Again I spoke to Orphanage and was told they have records but I must know Thelma St Clair Zella birth name to get any info.

Any ideas how to find out a birth name?

She appears in the 1920 census of the Zell family but was not in 1910 census so clearly she was a child to teen when adopted.

Anygelp would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Deborah Andio
Did you upload to any of the free sites? See my thread Family tree and DNA general instructions, scroll to Now to the DNA

Once you do that, see what kind of matches you have, then you can consider posting in the DNA Detectives FB group. They've helped many people

Old 04-16-2018, 01:18 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
Nice sleuthing Eldemila. This is an adopted child but this Thelma was adopted by the Palmers...married a Moran. I tracked her & all parties to be certain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy