Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 08:08 AM

10,072 posts, read 14,952,774 times

Advertisements

You look white to me. Sure, you don't look Nordic white (British, Scandinavian, German, etc) but you do look Mediterranean white (Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, etc).

Most Hispanics/Latinos that look like you are overwhelmingly white too. Many people in the USA seem to be oblivious to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 01:04 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Most Americans would assume you were from Mediterranean Europe, such as southern Italy. They are European with some North African and sometimes Sub Sub-Saharan African ancestry.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:04 AM

172 posts, read 185,551 times
You look white but also could pass for a Latino. This could be the influence of your Native American Ancestry. It is good that you are willing to consider other options for your ancestry. I suspect that you have been raised as white but do respect and learn about Native American culture. You have a higher percentage of Native American genes than most people who identify themselves as Native American.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:25 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,461,755 times
You dont look like a typical caucasion, you almost look like you could be Turkish, probably because of your mediterranean looks.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:11 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,362,537 times
Make it easy and just tell people you are multi-racial, because that's what you are. Nice photo, btw.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:18 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,208,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Race is an artificial definition.

Some day, they will likely shift to some sort of skin color definition, like the do for Hair and eye color.
The fundamental problem with 'race' is the use if the word. although it may seem necessary, in some ways. Once we are past the need for the 'word' and think in terms of ethnicity, there will not be 'race' concerns.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:50 AM

2 posts, read 2,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow1990 View Post
You look white but also could pass for a Latino. This could be the influence of your Native American Ancestry. It is good that you are willing to consider other options for your ancestry. I suspect that you have been raised as white but do respect and learn about Native American culture. You have a higher percentage of Native American genes than most people who identify themselves as Native American.
Actually I didnt even know I had any native american ancestry in me until my parents took DNA tests. Also is 14% native american really more than most people who identify as native americans?

Old 04-24-2016, 09:35 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcnz10 View Post
Actually I didnt even know I had any native american ancestry in me until my parents took DNA tests. Also is 14% native american really more than most people who identify as native americans?
No, I don't know where you got the impression that most people who identify as Native American are less than 14% Native American. As far as I know, stats on that do not exist because so few Native Americans participate in genetic testing. What is true is that Latinos tend to have more Native American heritage than non-Latinos - on average it's about 18%, so you actually have less than the average for Latinos. As such, I imagine people who identify as Native American tend to have more than 18%. People who do not identify as Native American but have more than 5% Native American heritage tend to identify as Latino.

White Americans have Remained

Old 04-24-2016, 10:18 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
I agree with poster #11 - you DO look Mediterranean white. The Mexicans we see in the US and Indian-mixed, but in Mexico itself you would be surprised at how "white" they look.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:50 AM

6,375 posts, read 4,993,181 times
Justified? Go by whatever you want as long as it's got a semblance of biological accuracy. I went to high school with a few people who were 1/4 black and the rest white and identified as black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy